"MLS" In-Season Club Friendlies: March 2012 - November 2012

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by OleGunnar20, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Messi's charity match in Miami today. Stars 7 - Masters 7. Looked like a good crowd in Miami in an epic rain storm.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Dave Johnson probably appreciated being able to go on the road for a soccer match for the first time in a while...

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beerking repped this.
  5. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the French Super Cup at Red Bull Arena is pretty cool. If I lived closer I would probably go to see this.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of new ones that aren't MLS related but then neither is everything else on the list either (Club America is doing a US tour I guess).

7/7 - Club America v Pachuca - Finley Stadium (Chattanooga, TN) - 8pm EDT
    7/11 - Club America v Cruz Azul - Cotton Bowl - 7pm EDT
    7/15 - Club America v Morelia - Candlestick Park - 10:30pm EDT

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Some TV-online info for the WFC/other-friendlies is available on espn's website:

JULY
    7/18 - World Football Challenge - Seattle Sounders FC v Chelsea FC @ CenturyLink Field (9:30PM EDT) ESPN2/ESPN3

7/24 - Los Angeles Galaxy v Tottenham Hotspur @ Home Depot Center (10:30PM EDT) ESPN3

7/25 - Liverpool v AS Roma @ Fenway Park (6:30PM EDT) ESPN2/ESPN3
    7/25 - MLS All-Star Game - MLS All-Stars v Chelsea FC @ PPL Park (8:30PM EDT) ESPN2/ESPN3

7/28 - Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur @ M&T Bank Stadium (1:00PM EDT) ESPN2/ESPN3
    7/28 - World Football Challenge - Chelsea FC v AC Milan @ SunLife Stadium (6:00PM EDT) ESPN2/ESPN3

7/31 - New York Invitational Cup - Red Bull New York v Tottenham Hotspur @ Red Bull Arena (7:00 PM EDT) ESPN2/ESPN3

AUGUST
    8/2 - World Football Challenge - LA Galaxy v Real Madrid @ Home Depot Center (10:30PM EDT) ESPN2/ESPN3

8/8 - World Football Challenge - Real Madrid v AC Milan @ Yankee Stadium (8:00PM EDT) ESPN2/ESPN3

8/11 - World Football Challenge - Real Madrid v Celtic @ Lincoln Financial Field (1:55PM EDT) ESPN2/ESPN3

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    WFC: Complete TV schedule released for USA & Canada

10. patilluky

patilluky Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Getafe spain
    Club:
    Getafe CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE
    300 euros to see the Madrid train in L.A.!
    They sell discounted tickets for Champions League final for the meeting of August 4
    The lowest price, 69 euros
    JIMENEZ RUBEN 11/07/12 - 09:35.
    imprimeenvía

The madness that exists when Real Madrid visit American soil knows no bounds. The large legion of fans that the club has white on the other side of the pond waiting for a year the visit of their idols. Both expect both adore, who are willing to pay outrageous real money players get close to.

The price of the VIP includes meet the players after training
    Training, a single working session of the team Jose Mourinho becomes a whole media show in Los Angeles, the land par excellence of the show. $ 382, ​​some 311 euros, paid some fans to witness a Real Madrid training at UCLA on 4 August.

That is the price of the VIP area, which includes, besides attending the preparatory session in a covered area for protection from the radiant sun of the American Southwest, the opportunity to meet Real Madrid players after training and be photographed with the Casillas, Ronaldo and co. But the menu does not stop there, the lucky VIP can also enjoy a continental breakfast at the training facility chosen by the Madrid.

High expectations

In the organization's success is not doubted to be the proposed exclusive training session, although it offers to less affluent pockets, the option to come and witness the work of the man without the luxuries Mourinho added to the VIP area. $ 85 (69 euros to change) is the price of the other entrance, unthinkable on this side of the Atlantic.

Not be the first visit of Real Madrid to Los Angeles, they know perfectly the training camps of the UCLA campus, the University of California. Whites already visited the area in 2010 and 2011. This year, Mourinho played four games in America.

Day 2 will play against the Galaxy Beckham, 5 against Santos Laguna Mexico in Las Vegas, 8 against Milan in New York and will close on 11 North American tour in Philadelphia, with a friendly against Celtic.

11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that is the point though. Comparing the price of things in different markets is not really a viable exercise. Things cost different amounts of money in different places....and for entertainment (particularly in the larger cities) things seem to cost more on this side of the ocean than on the other side. This gets emphasized when the event is a "one-off".

Are there basketball teams in Europe charging 4-figure/per game ticket prices? No but that is a regular occurance in the NBA for on-court seating. Are there ice-hockey teams charging over $300 a game for any games...again that's what it costs here to sit on the glass. While it could be argued that hockey and basketball on this side of the pond represent "the best in the world" and that explains the premium.....I think even our footie tickets cost more. My brother got 3 group stage Champions League tickets for his club (in roughly the same location as my seats) for the same price I paid for one Concacaf Champions League group match...he thought I was nuts...I thought "it's not like I can price shop an buy the tickets to the matches he went to".

It is what it is and when people show a willingness to pay, clubs will display an absolute willingness to charge!

12. MobileSoccerFan

May 14, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    FMF friendly in Chattanooga? Didn't know there was a large Mexican-American population there.

Any updates on tickets sold for friendlies involving MLS teams?

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Chelsea 4 Seattle 2. 53309 attendance.

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Aston Villa 1 - Philadelphia 0 17,195 attendance

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Liverpool 1 - Toronto 1 Attendance 33087

16. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aston Villa 1-Chicago 0 Attendance: 16388

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Chelsea 1 - PSG 1 at Yankee Stadium. 38202 attendance. Stadium looked really interesting on TV. Was anyone who reads this there?

18. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Roma vs Zaglebie Lubin 22,181 at Wrigley Field

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Did Bradley play?

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  21. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he had an assist as well.

22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Roma is going to be playing El Salvador at Red Bull Arena. Not sure if that one is on our list...

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The Orlando City Soccer Club announced Thursday that its international friendly against English team Nottingham Forest on July 21 at the Florida Citrus Bowl has been canceled.
    The move was made after the Nottingham Forest franchise was bought by the Al-Hasawi family and manager Steve Cotterill left the club. The club's previous owner, Nigel Doughty, died.

24. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    profiled repped this.