MLS in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by BringSoccerToIndy, Aug 4, 2008.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not nearly as lucrative as I thought it might be.

2. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Well, if this Indy team comes about, they might be in need of a veteran PBP guy.

3. MLS32Doug

MLS32Doug New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ok... since Indy got a NASL team... does that mean that GARY has the inside track in Indiana? It has a large population and will have a natural rivalry with Chicago!

4. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gary Indiana?

5. MLS32Doug

MLS32Doug New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes... that Gary. In 5-10 years, you may see 2 teams in the Indy area, but not yet.

6. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only team that could thrive in Gary would be a PDL team IMO. At that point it's too close to Chicago. Still, if i were to place a PDL team in northern Indy i'd put a PDL team back in South Bend.

Just my opinion.

Is Gary improving?? It's been in decline for quite some time. My experience has been in passing to Michigan or Chicago as i'm from central Indy.

7. MLS32Doug

MLS32Doug New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I myself live in Minneapolis... we have a team outside of Mpls, but I would prefer to have another team accross town in St Paul where we can "heckle" as the away team.
    With that in mind, I would love to see another team in the Chicago area, one closer to the heart of an urban area. As Indiana does not have another "major" area that I am aware of, I thought Gary would be ideal as it is driving distance from both chicago and indy and has a population large enough to support a team.

8. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would suggest South Bend over Gary at this point. Regardless, i dont think any northern city team could house a team any higher then a PDL side. I dont think Gary is much of a soccer city to begin with, but i could be wrong.

9. MLS32Doug

MLS32Doug New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Either works for me... in the end, I just want "More". More teams, more commitment from USSF, more development of talent...... Just more.
    A high level survey identified 60+ markets capable of supporting an MLS team with average attendance above 10k per game. With 20 of those being able to support 2+ teams. In england, cities with populations of 200k support 2+ teams and have stadiums with 10-15k capacity. I don't think this is beyond expectations in the USA. Will this happen tomorrow... NO. But once soccer has matured in the USA I absolutely can see 32+ teams at each D1-D3 within 15 years (16+ in East/West of each tier).

10. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really see either doing all that well. Fort Wayne would be better. I know there's the Fort Wayne Fever, or used to be. Some type of lower level academy thing. But if you're going to place another team in the north, it might as well be in Gary. I think it would be better to try and draw from all of the lake counties rather than limiting yourself to South Bend, where they already have Notre Dame.

11. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Fort Wayne would be better

I don't know if they still have one but I think/thought south bend had a PDL team.

12. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Bend had the PDL Indiana Invaders until this past season.

13. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah I thought so. Thanks

14. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just wanted to bump this thread since Indy Eleven is nearing 7000 season tickets.

15. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the owner have MLS ambition? Does the owner want to have a soccer specific stadium in downtown? Does Indy have a grassroots movement for MLSIndy?

16. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The owner wants to be as competitive as possible. If that means MLS, then sure. Soccer specific stadium is in talks in the next 3 years with a possibility of 20,000 straight away (ticket sales have been that good) and Indy used to but it has been deleted since the people on that page wanted to support Indy 11 and the NASL

17. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no. As Daniel mentioned the ownership merely wants to be a competitive team regardless of league. They have also been in communication with various developers to create a SSS.

As for the grass roots they will work with local clubs but they have no ambition of creating their own grass roots program

taylor repped this.
  18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have 7 years until MLS's 24 by 2020 deadline. Plenty of time. Enjoy NASL first and then lets talk. :)

jackBeNimble repped this.
  19. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    I think Indy will definitely move up to MLS and take a spot 25-30/32.

MLS loves these three team rivalries.

Columbus-Chicago-Indy

20. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    too bad they will stop at 24....

21. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like they 'stopped' at 20 or 16... Pause they may pause at 24, but so far the indications are not that they will for sure. If Inday does not make 24, but they come in with a solid plan and dowry there is no reason to believe that Garber and the BOGs would turn them away.

22. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really believe that?

23. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Garber never said they were stopping. He said they planned to have 24 teams by 2020.

24. Daniel the Bricker

Feb 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I kinda do believe it. At least they will stop for a while. but if they don't thats swell for us in indy

Just some other news here. Indy Eleven has reached its season ticket deposit cap at 7000. Waiting list has now begun. Also at a local meeting the stadium was discussed. Indy Eleven said they are already working on stadium sites and want to have the stadium in 2017. surprisingly they want to build it 20,000 right away.

25. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not so surprisingly, they have the demand apparently. ;)

but I get what you mean, they could've tried the scorpions route of building for NASL with space to grow for MLS, but they seem quite confident in their ability to appeal to the market and attain a franchise.

how deep is the wieners pockets anyhow? I'd like to know how much the team has to make up to pay the expansion fee and everything else.

edit: lol, I meant to ask how deep the "owners" pockets are, auto correct strikes! :ROFLMAO: