MLS in Atlanta!

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Bubba Atlanta, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    dadman, J'can, Erocker and 6 others repped this.
  2. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having just visited your fair city I can testify this is a very applicable name but probably not what Black is looking for. Plus weren't/aren't the Silverbacks owned by Traffic Sports?

3. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I like about Atlanta is Varsity's Frost Orange....oh and throw in their fried peach pie as well.

4. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I hear the Thrashers name recently opened up.

cleansheetbsc and coreyrock repped this.
  5. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    too bad about the plastic grass

Erocker repped this.
  6. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Atlanta will do ok. It's the other three expansion teams that I think will be a disaster (NYCFC and the two Florida teams).

Just today, there was an article indicating that NY will be playing at Yankee Stadium for at least three years instead of only their opening season as originally claimed. Folks in Florida aren't going to sit in the heat to watch an MLS match. They aren't even supporting most of the long "established" pro sports teams.

7. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Tebow can play keeper, right?

jarbitro, cleansheetbsc and Erocker repped this.
  8. Erocker

Erocker Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Club:
    CD Jalapa
    Yeah why does ATL need plastic grass? Just because it's going to be dual use?

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just can't see this as a long-term success...hope that I'm wrong

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  10. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Living here and having the pleasure of meeting Mr. Blank (his kids and mine played for the same team/club) I can say it has a better chance than most may be giving it. He is familiar with soccer and obviously a very sharp business mind so I too hope you are wrong.

It is a tough market, the WPS Atlanta Beat never had but a few (literally) attend games and the Silverbacks have not exactly sold out attendance either - both in very small venues - but the Silverbacks have been getting better numbers and again Mr. Blank has a proven track record so we are VERY hopeful for the MLS.

He did say in yesterdays event that they will NEVER play on a football lined field so even though they announced it will be turf at least it will be properly marked.

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ...and at least they're not commissioning a new stadium for it; the new stadium is getting built for the Falcons anyway.

12. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta's new stadium. Cool design, bro:
    [​IMG]

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  13. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    and Bubba wont have to drive too far to ref their home games!!!

dadman repped this.
  14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Heck I can walk! ;)

dadman repped this.
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Orlando will do well. MLS' hands were tied a bit with Beckham choosing Miami (he was allowed to select/buy in an expansion team as per his contract with MLS). If it works, it will be great.

As for Atlanta, forget about it. This will be one of the most insignificant franchises in MLS.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you weren't around in 1994...yes, it really was something!

dadman repped this.
  17. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    You'll have to with all the traffic.

dadman repped this.
  18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't understand how New York and Miami will work. The Red Bulls have trouble getting a crowd and they have one of the best players of his generation and probably the best stadium in MLS, how will they draw a crowd at Yankee stadium?

The Heat some times can't fill up their arena and people show up late to playoff games. No way will an MLS team work there.

Also imagine an MLS game in July there?

19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I actually dont think miami is where it should be. i think they should be looking to move away from miami to hold their games instead of driving traffic into miami. getting people away from the hustle of the city as well as all the other competing things would be better.

20. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    This is obviously a discussion for another forum. But I think Orlando will be fine. Their USL team already draws very well and they have a new right sized stadium on the way. It's the grassroots growth that makes sense. Orlando is no hotter than DC or Houston or Dallas or probably KC, etc in the summer time. It's not like they necessarily have to play their matches at noon or anything. Unless some stupid TV contract requires them to play a lot of afternoon matches.

Miami won't work. NYCFC was a stupid choice but Garber has been chasing that odd dream for years. NYRB just proves that putting a really nice stadium in the wrong place won't draw a big crowd. 3+ seasons on that little field in Yankee Stadium won't be fun for anyone.

21. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retractable roof and as such it would have not received enough sun light to grow grass. They did a feasibility study during design phases of the stadium and determined that it simply wouldn't work. The original 'plan' was to use real grass.

Personally I would have required a design that would have provided an acceptable amount of sunlight for natural grass, but alas I do not have a billion dollars laying around like Mr. Blank.

Erocker repped this.
  22. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Why not a system like they use in Arizona where the grass rolls in and out? (Or at least it did when that stadium first opened so I assume it still does)

Erocker repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difference between the stadium in Glendale being on the edge of the city with plenty of space and the new Atlanta stadium being downtown where there isn't room to roll the field outside.

24. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    And the University of Phoenix stadium has a covered roof whereas a soccer stadium is more likely to be open to the sun and rain.