News: MLS forces Toronto FC to open locker room to media

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by yossarin, Apr 2, 2011.

1. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Arun Winter closes off locker room to media

[​IMG]

.. In an effort to create a "real football environment".

this is what they had access too.. didn't look too bad. /thread if you want

2. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I hope Winter takes the Bill Bellichek approach to this.

4. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The happiest person from this information....Andi Petrillo

6. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    TFC could just refuse to answer questions in the locker loom, thus making it pointless for reporters to go in

7. GalaxyGal

GalaxyGal New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Endline 101 Row A
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I don't understand why reporters need to be in there right after a game when players are showering and changing. Just sounds weird and awkward to me. Give the guys a 20 minute head start or something.

8. Doom Boy

Doom Boy Member

Nov 21, 2007
    ...and a happy Andi Petrillo makes all of us happy.:D

9. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ya true enough but "it's the North American Way".

10. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My thoughts exactly. The guys just want to relax a bit and shower after the game. No need for a bunch of reporters intruding right after the game.

11. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I guess my main question would have to be if no reporters in the locker room is a convention of football at large, or a European league convention?

12. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I've always admired the closed door policy that European leagues maintain in regards to locker rooms, it makes the whole production seem more professional and less like a media circus. To bombard players as they're winding down after a game has always seemed weird to me, even as an American.

13. rups93

rups93 Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I usually enjoy the post game "press conference" style question periods after hockey games rather than in the locker room anyways. The players seem to have more articulated reponses instead of stammering with err's and uhh's (though to be fair some players still stammer even out of the locker room and some are perfectly articulated at all times).

Althoguh I could watch Jerry Dee and Cabbie from The Score intrude in the locker rooms all day. Those guys are hilarious.

14. FutebolDeResultado

Feb 8, 2008

someone please think of the children!!!!!!!

15. Johnny TFC

Johnny TFC New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Cairo
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Must be the deadlines driving this. The writers have got to get in there and get their stories done so that game reviews can make the morning paper for all those die-hard MLS fans out there....wait, never mind.:p

Likely just a ploy to get MLS back in the headlines, because I am fairly certain this was pretty much a non-story everywhere else, and even in Toronto, until Garber got on his soap box, promoting North American sporting culture and fan expectations (although I fairly certain the NBA restricts locker room access to a point). I am sure some sort of compromise will be worked out and it will be more like the way Winter wants, and less the way it used to be, which in the end will be good for all. I mean as fans, if players are happier and want to play in a certain environment shouldn't we support that so maybe, just maybe we get those two or three extra points needed at the end of a season.

Ahh, well, at least MLS hasn't mandated cheerleaders...yet, as part of the same North American sporting culture that requires dudes to give interviews in their towels.