MLS flavors of the week: 2012 Edition [MLS R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EXALIFTIN, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    u-23 camp

1 person likes this.
  2. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Landon Donovan guy - cap him now! Very nice play for an assist, wins a hard challenge in DC's third, penetrates with his dribble and draws the defense, then plays wide to Keane for the finish. Good playmaking.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a dual national too. Better watch out.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again the scoreline doesn't flatter him, but Meara made some BIG saves against RSL. He was under fire all day and his defense gave him very little help. Another excellent outing from the young keeper.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Joe Willis? Dude pretty much stood on his head for 90 minutes against LA today. Credit where credit it due. His defensive line basically left him stranded.

LD with a solid game that was even better than his first three (finally has started to look healthy), and an assist. (Also played Robbie in for one of his 1 v 1s that Willis blocked with a chipped one-timed ball over the top after he chested it down). Edson Buddle as a sub was decent with a shot that Willis tipped around the post.

Chad Barrett continues to make me want to rip my eyeballs out. ;)

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Well finished. Should have done better on the 1v1 against Matt Reis though.

7. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think excellent outing is too much. I would say a decent or good outing. He had some nice saves but he got five holed in the first goal and i'm pretty sure he killed paulo jr but they didn't call anything.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semantics. Given his age and experience (or lackthereof) I thought he was "excellent". On even comparison? He was "good."

Yeah, some people think he should have done better on the five hole goal, but he was 1 v 1. Strikers should score that 9 times out of 10.

Killed Paulo Jr? If you're an RSL fan maybe you think that! Regardless, Meara made the play.

9. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    Kid looks talented Tony Cascio

10. Agudelo_for_MVP

Agudelo_for_MVP BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How can that goal be his fault? He was completely left on an island by his defenders. If anything ever is the definition of wide open that play was for the Salt Lake player. It doesn't really matter if the guy five holed him or just hit it to a place where he couldn't get it. People like to make it seem like a much worse play by the GK if he gets five holed, but Meara was in a situation where he had a very slim chance to save the shot, regardless if the guy attempted to five hole him or power it past him to another spot.

He didn't kill Paulo Jr. That was my initial thought, but when they showed the replay, he got all ball and he did a nice job of coming out and being aggressive, but not fouling.

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did well in preseason.

12. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it does matter.

13. repin1836

repin1836 Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Houston
    This may be crazy, but how about Tally Hall. I realize this is coming from a Houston fan, but he has practically stood on his head to get this team points (this year and last). While he has made some gaffs in the past (Colorado), he looks stronger on high balls in the box and much more commanding of his area since his large mistake.

I realize he wouldn't be the number 1, but we always need a 18 or 19 on the roster, especially one who's number isn't greater then their age. Besides, how many times are you going to call in Nick Rimando and Marcus Hahnemann, and not play them. That has to be frustrating for both.

14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

Hall played fantastic against SJ. He has all the talent in the world and I think that he will finish up this season as part of the next wave of upcoming keepers in MLS (with Hamid and Kennedy). It will be interesting to see if any other names (like Meara) can push into that group. Saunders is good, but I think he is 31 so it makes more sense to build on the younger options.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Rimando is frustrated. I'm sure he realizes that he's not really the #1 now or for the future. He might be the emergency fill in #1 right now but clearly Hamid and Johnson are getting groomed to be Howard's future replacement.

16. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    he gets paid to go to the game. whats to be frustrated about? he'd probably watch it anyways.

17. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Hall is very good. I have him on my fantasy team 2 years running. I loathe the Dynamo. Go figure!

18. repin1836

repin1836 Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Houston
    True. I don't want to take this off topic, but are financial values public information?

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Rimando still in MLS? He's talented enough and experienced enough to make a really good pay day in Europe and start for a decent team.

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Cause he is short.

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    He should sign in Mexico then. He wouldn't be considered a short keeper there.

22. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondoloski with a brace today thats three goals in three games

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Give me more Lee Nguyen!

24. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well i don't think Mcmath was at fault this time.

25. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Macmath looks really shaky though