MLS Expansion

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 21, 2013.

1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    never happening. :) sorry

2. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't that be 40+ games??????

redinthemorning repped this.
  3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    ChrizG13 repped this.
  4. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuking expansion drafts are gonna suck both those years.

*rey* and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Probably 1 player per existing team. The expansion draft in the past has been 10 players per new team. Almost enough in 2015 with 19 teams. Then definitely enough in 2017 with 21.

JC507 repped this.
  6. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has officially crossed over into NBA/NHL overexpansion territory. Steven Goff wrote a post the other day about this and I agree with him for the most part.

Color me very skeptical about all of these new teams' success probabilities on the business and attendance side, other than NYCFC, which will succeed in part at the expense of RBNY, thus merely shifting some dollars in that market.

Just feels like MLS is jumping the shark

JC507, MLSNHTOWN and *rey* repped this.
  8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    When do we stop? 50? 100 teams? 5 divisions, 20 teams per division with promotion and relegation?

If MLS wasn't signing a huge TV deal soon, I would begin to think it was a ponzi scheme.

Dynamo_Forever and *rey* repped this.
  9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No to football lines, and plastic pitches.

10. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think MLS stops after #24 for quite a while (if they are sensible they will, anyway).

If MLS doesn't pick San Antonio as #24 it will really screw up my theory on what their strategy is.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't know what you think their strategy is but I'd bet on Minneapolis for #24. San Antonio seems to be short a billionaire while Minnesota has a surplus interested.

Also, these recent moves seem to be about TV. The league has added, or is trying to add, a team in:

Nielsen market rank

#1 New York
    #9 Atlanta
    #16 Miami
    #18 Orlando

Minneapolis is #15 with 1.7 million TV households. San Antonio is #36 with 900,000 TV households, just about half as many.

Minneapolis would give MLS a team in 15 of the top 20 TV markets. The missing markets: #11 Detroit, #12 Phoenix, #14 Tampa, #19 Cleveland, #20 Sacramento.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NHL tried the same expansion for TV technique in the 1990s and it didn't work then either. Soccer is different from hockey but the same structural hurdles exist in terms of growing ratings

13. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta?

Atlanta ????

I may be in the minority here but I just don't see it ending well in Atlanta for MLS.

I'd have rather seen San Antonio get an MLS franchise before Atlanta. Same with Minneapolis.

JC507, Westside Cosmo and *rey* repped this.
  14. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League is going to keep growing - They have to play to the American Market even if it's not the same way the "World" soccer market wants it.

If there is no club in Florida what makes a kid or an adult fan want to watch a MLS game?

Same in Atlanta -

San Antonio footy fans (small TV market as aforementioned) have two teams with Driving Distance to choose. (Although I would love for them to be in MLS)

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It may or may not work but Atlanta does have over 2,000 season ticket deposits put down in less than 24 hours. For a team that starts playing in three years.

JC507 and ChrizG13 repped this.
  16. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fail to see what's fundamentally wrong with Atlanta....

17. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for them.

18. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is fundamentally wrong with Atlanta.

However, it never has been, nor do I ever think it will be a hotbed of soccer in this country.

Furthermore, the Atlanta market is competing with quite a bit else in terms of sporting options. The MLS club will be competing with the SEC, and NASCAR (not to mention their NBA, NHL, MLB, and NFL franchises) amongst others for fans, viewers, TV time slots, etc...

I'm not saying it can't work and I get that MLS has to go where they're going to have an owner that is committed vs. another market where they may not have that at present.

What I'm saying is that I think that there were other markets that made much more sense for an MLS franchise than Atlanta.

That said, best of luck to them.

(Edit: Another city that I think would have made great sense for MLS would have been St. Louis. A bit of soccer history there I think.)

*rey* repped this.
  19. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing most other viable markets aren't competing with, nor what most current MLS markets are having to deal with. MLS has made it work in just about every market. Atlanta can work, too.

This is where we disagree. Atlanta is essential for a large(r) TV deal. Maybe it won't matter for the one they're about to announce, but say in 2020 when it comes up again, they can point to a new, successful Atlanta franchise to raise the $.

Agreed. I would personally love to see St Lo and SanAn in MLS. But the Twin Cities would make more sense at this point.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta is a poor mans Houston in terms of following its teams, attendance, ratings etc. Florida pro teams struggle across the board.

JC507 repped this.
  21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i'm with the anti-Atlanta crowd. i used to joke that i taped every Tecos game, so that i can save them for when i needed to nap on a sunday afternoon. they haven't even taken the field but i'll bet you that in 3 years a New England Revolution@atlanta game will be studied in medical journals as a magical cure for isomnia.

TX Bill, metroag and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  22. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    If they are sensible they would have stopped at 20.

23. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I agree with Newtex-it's about markets especially with TV money (remember when they used to pay ABC to televise matches?) the future holds.

But with that said-you also need a stadium and an ownership with deep pockets. Neither of which San Antonio or Detroit have. St. Louis? Ask Steve Ralston-it ain't happening. They can't even support a third division team. Just because it's the "hotbed" of the sport it doesn't mean they can support a MLS team. The Baltimore Bayhawks (MLL) played in Baltimore and couldn't draw a crowd and that is the most lacrosse crazy city in the country.

I do agree that I am skeptical about Atlanta but the only thing that has me somewhat positive is the fact that it's got NFL ownership involved.

Don't forget that-it does wonders. Ask Seattle. Ask the Denver Outlaws (MLL). Denver's lacrosse teams almost annually draws more on average than their MLS counterpart. Bowlen owns the Outlaws and I knows for a fact that having a Denver Broncos STH list sure helps when selling tickets. So I think Atlanta can make a go of it. My worry is when the new building smell wears off and Atlanta fans go back to who cares about soccer-it could be a disaster.

Anyone remember FIFA 96? MLS is looking like the old US league team list. We just need New Orleans now ;)

24. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im waiting with baited breath (not really-for those not used to my genius wit) to see how they jump us from east to west-west to east every year there is an expansion team.

25. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish SA would get a team for selfish reasons.

TX Bill repped this.