MLS Expansion

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Funny enough attendance is similar to a Dynamo game in that it says sold out but it's not naturally difference here is that it's in the higher seats.

JC507 repped this.
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Every Texans game at Reliant has been a sellout.

3. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give it time, the texans have been good the last few years and were expected to be great this season. The NFL also does great at selling out stadiums.

4. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And selling out your stadium doesn't mean you have great fans either. Our fans boo our players and are not quiet while the offense is on the field. I know a lot of people that go just for the tailgates.

*rey*, ChrizG13 and Heft repped this.
  5. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I am a huge Texans fan, but I prefer to watch the games from the comfort of my home. The TV contracts are what makes the NFL the jewel of pro sports world-wide. I feel like I am a good fan. The booing is classless though. It would be better to boycott a game than go boo the players. It would show dissatisfaction to the right people.

JC507 and ChrizG13 repped this.
  6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny I remember Robertson having the same vibe. People knew that Dynamo games were events and showed up early to start the tailgaiting. The parking lot had a real nice vibe to it. Something I think we've lost a bit at BBVA...

Speaking of expansion, everytime I se a team come in it reminds me of how awesome our FO was in '06. They crammed 1-2 years worth of work into 4 months.

JC507 and ChrizG13 repped this.
  7. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Then blackouts happen and the people at home complain. The issue is I'm okay with booing if the team stinks like this Sunday as compared to when Matt was injured. But people knew Kubiak just wanted an excuse to play Matt but this isn't the thread for it. Fans will always make noise thing is but I don't see a difference since our guy doesn't even audible ala Peyton.

8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    This is my impression as well. I always classify it is three buckets: Great sports towns - generally focussed around one team (Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc), mediocre sports fans - most cities fall here attendance shifts slightly up and down with team performance, and terrible sports towns where you get 0.0 TV ratings.

In my mind Houston teeters between mediocre and terrible. Even with the Texans; lets see how they look if they end up with three bad seasons in a row. I remember the Oilers attendance and love dying off quickly . . . Not too mention, what the H$%L is with the showing up late to games in Houston. It is every sport, and makes no difference if it is a work day or a Saturday afternoon - no one gets into the stadium until 10-20 minutes after the game starts.

JC507, metroag and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  9. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    ain't that the truth-from Texans, Dynamo to even Rockets and Aeros. I just have never got it. WTF-you are paying premo bucks, to get 2 hours of entertainment. Get there for the whole thing.

JC507 and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  10. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    It's because Bob McNair and the Texans FO were using the PSLs (Permanent Seat Licenses) so it can help make their home stadium get sold out every game.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would venture to say that Houston has a larger corporate ticket component than almost every other market as measured by market size to corporate tix ratio. Houston has an absolute ton of Fortune 100-500-1000 companies plus other large international companies with major Houston operations as compared to a market like Atlanta or Miami.

So those tickets get used less even if purchased. Just look at Rockets games - half of the lower bowl is either drinking in the club bar or shows up at halftime. They don't care if they get their money's worth because its not their money!!

redinthemorning repped this.
  12. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    winner winner chicken dinner.

I was referring more those guys at said events that trickle into the upper deck after the first period/30th minute, etc.

13. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The overall sentiment among Houstonians may be bandwagon-esque, but attendance-wise, we're no better or worse than most cities. The list of American and Canadian sports teams that actually sell out regularly is pretty short. Even the Chicago Blackhawks had awful attendance this millennium until they became a contender.

Even the NFL has attendance inflation on the low end. Teams like Jacksonville, Buffalo, and Oakland have had local businesses buy out remaining ticket inventory just avoid blackouts in recent years.

Actually, the Heat have only drawn below 19,000 twice since Wade's rookie year, and their lowest average in that span was 17,730.

Miamians may be "douches" but they've supported the only well run franchise in their market very well. The Panthers are practically in Ft. Lauderdale and their owners don't care as long as the team breaks even (they have a sweet lease deal where they keep pretty much all revenue on concerts, conventions, etc.). The Marlins have expressed outright contempt for their fanabse; their team president actually had the gall to call the locals stupid. And the Dolphins? Their last Pro Bowl and/or All-Pro QB retired:
    - four Presidential elections ago.
    - two NHL lockouts ago.
    - a few months before Bob McNair shoved LA out of the way and was awarded the expansion franchise that became the Texans.

Would you give your hard earned money to any of the latter three teams?

14. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think Miami Heat fans get that label since they tend to leave games early. But yeah I just don't see a MLS Miami franchise surviving unless.... You get a bunch of Cuban players.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Orlando City is official for 2015. So we'll have 21 teams that year unless Miami speeds up the process. I think they will probably go ahead and move Kansas City to the West that year, though, because it sure looks like Miami will be soon after that. We'll have to wait and see on 23 and 24.

EAST
    1. Montreal
    2. Toronto
    3. New England
    4. NY Red Bulls
    5. New York City FC
    6. Philadelphia Union
    7. DC United
    8. Orlando City
    9. Columbus
    10. Chicago

WEST
    1. Kansas City
    2. Houston
    3. Dallas
    4. Colorado
    5. Salt Lake
    6. LA Galaxy
    7. Chivas USA
    8. San Jose
    9. Portland
    10. Seattle
    11. Vancouver

16. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My suggestion for three conferences in 2015:

Eastern - DCU, MTL, NER, NYC, NYR, PHI, TOR
    Central - CHI, CLB, COL, DAL, HOU, ORL, SKC
    Western - CHV, LAG, POR, RSL, SEA, SJE, VAN

This separates the two new teams. COL would presumably move back to the Western Conference when #22 (MIA?) is added, probably only a year or two later.

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not a fan of three conferences. We'll see what happens.

18. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Call me crazy but they should have added another Canadian team (Edmonton) to at least even up the Canadian teams.

19. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

crazy

redinthemorning, jvilla07, JC507 and 2 others repped this.
  20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i'm the opposite. i think those dudes (the Canadians) should start their own league eventually.

can you imagine a Edmonton@Orlando, -----@Edmonton, Edmonton@Los Angeles 3-game stretch. brutal.

21. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    You sir are awesome.

Sounds like an NBA schedule.

Just not a fan of 3 Canuck teams but I do agree they should start their own league. Or just move Chivas up north :sneaky:

22. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I don't want the MLS realignment to be like the NHL, when they just have their new realignment this year.

The NHL now have 4 divisions: Pacific, Atlantic, Central, and the new Metropolitan division.

I'm also a NBA fan and I really miss the Rockets' old division, the Midwest Division.

Here is my MLS realignment if they reach to 24 clubs:

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division
    NY Red Bulls
    NY City
    New England
    Philadelphia
    Montreal
    Toronto

Central Division

Chicago
    Columbus
    D.C. United
    Orlando
    Miami
    Expansion club (Atlanta or Tampa Bay)

Western Conference

Pacific Division
    L.A. Galaxy
    Chivas USA
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Vancouver

Midwest Division
    Houston
    Dallas
    Kansas City
    Colorado
    Real Salt Lake
    Expansion club (San Antonio or St. Louis)

Each club plays 22 conference matches and 12 inter-conference matches.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like an MLS playoff schedule

*rey* repped this.
  24. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest only a few tweaks:
    1. There is really no need for divisions within the two conferences, unless the schedule is reduced to 28 games (2x5 + 1x18).
    2. In that case, switch Toronto with DC to preserve their existing rivalries with Columbus (Trillium Cup) and the Red Bulls (Atlantic Cup), respectively.
    3. Atlanta seems far more likely than Tampa Bay for #23.
    4. Minneapolis and Indianapolis are probably ahead of Saint Louis right now, simply because the latter has no viable ownership group and no stadium plan.
    5. If Indianapolis is #24, put it in the Central and move Chicago to the Midwest.

25. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just give me home and away for every team in the MLS. None of this conference weighted bull crap scheduling.

*rey* repped this.