MLS Expansion

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 21, 2013.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That would be my preference.

Then 23 & 24 in 2018 or so.

troutseth repped this.
  2. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    St. Louis needs to be considered. OKC is ripe for the picking as well.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Neither of those places seems to have an owner interested in MLS. That is the key criteria. MLS does not look for markets, they look for owners with lots of money and a plan. They want that owner to be in a market that helps the league nationally but that is not the primary consideration.

Heft repped this.
  4. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

no they don't-ask Steve Ralston.

5. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    :whistling:When are they gonna put a second MLS franchise in Texas?

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Apparently San Antonio is on the list but the current Scorpions owner doesn't have enough money. He would probably have to get other investors.

7. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem there is the Spurs have the money and can be investors but i'm pretty sure they want to own the franchise without shared ownership. The Stadium actually isn't in a bad location to access not too far from downtown (about 12 miles northeast).

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Looks like Orlando City will be joining in 2015 along with NYCFC. They just sent this to the local media. They have a press conference scheduled for November 19 to officially announce the team joining MLS. So we'll probably be stuck with an odd number again unless another expansion team joins that year.

[​IMG]

9. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome scarf.

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JC507, cougarclaws and *rey* repped this.
  11. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

Isn't this Stoke City USA?

I still don't like the idea of MLS in FLA.

There was an interesting story in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette two weeks about how far the Hounds have come and that they have aspirations-in another 10 years or so to come to MLS.

edit-found it
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ake-change-in-ownership-with-MLS-in-mind.html

12. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

This would be really cool-but we'd all have to be in the same conference.
    I think SA had to be on MLS' list but the debacle a few years ago probably soured Garber, but now with Orlando on board, maybe things will change. I hope the Spurs get involved and they get a team-that is a huge market that only has one pro top flight team.

13. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indianapolis doesn't have a team yet, but they do have 7000 season ticket holders, an owner with the pockets to fund MLS, and will be aiming to have a stadium in the next few years.

14. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Florida is going to fail again and push MLS 5 years back. Putting professional sports teams in the southeast is ridiculously stupid and doesn't even work for MLB or the NFL. I don't care how many brazilians or young ppl Florida is suppose to have it isn't worth trying

15. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand some reticence about Miami, but what would lead you to believe Orlando is going to fail at this point? Dedicated ownership? Check. Lower league attendance? Record breaking. Stadium plan? Approved, and in an urban area to boot. Basic academy infrastructure? It's there and will only get better with time and investment.

I ask you again: what would lead you to believe Orlando is going to fail at this point?

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not really. Phil Rawlins is one of the owners of Orlando City and he is on the board at Stoke City but he does not control the team. Stoke City has no stake in Orlando City. Phil Rawlins was the guy who owned the Austin Aztex and then moved them to Orlando. He has since acquired several other partners in Orlando including Flavio Augusto da Silva, a Brazilian multi-millionaire and a bunch of other Orlando area businessmen. I don't see much connection to Stoke any more.

17. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

ah yes-good explanation, thanks.

18. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back to 30 games in a season.

MLS matches on Saturday/Sunday. CCL and USOC matches on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday

19. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

yep- and everyone should live within their means and also pay their taxes too.

20. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how the Miami douches look at all their friendly games they have and the "great" attendance at them (not even sold out) and directly link them to their potential MLS attendance. Miami is a bandwagon city just like Houston is. Who remembers the heat before LBJ? Even though they had Shaq and Wade and won an NBA Championship (their first ever) they still weren't a premier team!

Unless they continually get "High-level" or "Highly-famous" DP's, Miami FC after the first year or so isn't going to be squat. Heck Orlando already has a big Fan Base to drive off and you can tell they aren't going to need all these DP's to keep going. (Although I am fully expecting KAKA to join)

21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's why Beckham may be a good fit for them. He seems like an owner that understands marketing. He and his wife are the epitome of smart marketing.

22. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Houston is no more of a bandwagon city than any other. Houstonians have put up with a lot of crap from their teams over the years. The Texans have sucked almost the whole time they have been around, but they are extremely popular. The only team that people have left in droves is the Astros, and that's par for the course. The Orioles, Indians, and some other teams have lost their fans before too for their ineptitude.

redinthemorning and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  23. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Houston has to be at the top for bandwagon cities, throw Atlanta in there. When the teams are good the city is behind them, when they're not, everyone disappears. Pisses me off to no end.

*rey*, ChrizG13 and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I guess that I just don't pay enough attention to the fans, but hasn't Reliant been sold out for almost every game?