MLS Expansion

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 21, 2013.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It is looking more and more likely Orlando City will be one of the 4 new expansion teams.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ly-expansion-process-should-final-orlando-cit

I really hope that they bring the new teams in two at at time. In 2015 we'll finally be back to an even number of teams and it would be nice to stay there through team 24.

2. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like if I do relocate to Florida, I'll be rooting for Orlando. When the Dynamo visit, I'll root for the Orange.

Heft repped this.
  3. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Countdown to Dynamo back the the West has begun....

7seven7, cougarclaws and Heft repped this.
  4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo should move back to the West when NYC FC joins the league in 2015. That countdown has been going on for quite a while now.

redinthemorning repped this.
  5. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay for playing Dallas more. We need that cannon back. Hasn't been the same without firing it before the game.

6. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    So which expansion club will replace Chivas USA? San Antonio, San Diego, Sacramento, or Las Vegas?

7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Does Vergara want to move the team?

8. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I counter that with Phoenix, Las Vegas, or San Antonio.

9. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I thought word was that he specifically wanted LA in the first place which is what was the deal to buy the team.

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None. Chivas is staying in one incarnation or another. The only question is how long Vegara will be the I/O. It's worth too much money to MLS to move Chivas. They might find a way to dump Vegara and rebrand but that won't happen unless A) Vegara sells B) Vegara violates some clause in his I/O agreement (it might be more loose than some later ones...)

We're stuck with them. The real problem child is DC. We, as a league, desperately need them to find a home. Everyone esles situation is tenable for now. Theirs isn't.

I do hope SanAn joins the ranks eventually. That'd be badass.

redinthemorning and The_Ponce repped this.
  11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    At this point, I'm concerned about the effects of expansion. There are some cities that may seem like a good idea but may also struggle. San Antonio, and Miami seem a bit risky.

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SanAn would be a luxury, but it could be a solid market like RSL. Miami would be good for TV deals, a la Atlanta. After those 2 things get interesting. Maybe SanAn, Indy, TwinCities...I dunno. St Louis would be badass because of the history there

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The vote passed in Orlando.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...roves-funding-downtown-orlando-soccer-stadium

Tigereye repped this.
  14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
  15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Chivas USA is a drag on revenue, its not worth too much money. To subsidize a team who doesn't draw more than 8K and 4K turnstiles does not benefit the league. The owner/operator agreement has to have an out if there is a vote of owners. They could vote to disband the team but would have to pay him the purchase price in the agreement. LA can't hold two teams. The Galaxy's attendence has been slipping too. You don't move the team. Just have a dispersal draft of its players. I'm sure Orlando would take a few of their players, the rest can return to Mexico and play second division.

16. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Even with Orlando City, NYCFC, ATL, & Miami, there's still room for 1 more to 24. I too think Chivas stays as USC seems pretty serious about replacing the LA Sports Arena with an SSS.

As for San Antonio, it looks like if the Scorpions push for MLS, it will likely involve Gordon Hartman selling the team or adding investors to make that happen. Maybe that's where the Spurs (whom were also interested in soccer in SA) come into play ...we shall see.

17. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    In light of Dup Post, let this be my Congrats to Orlando City on today's stadium vote passage.

18. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've the impression, without the evidence necessary to have a high degree of confidence, that Garber will not allow the Dynamo back into the Western Conference as long as AEG owns a significant share of the team. No matter how much geographic sense it might make.

19. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA can support 2 very successful teams. LA's attendance has been "slipping" for a couple reasons, no the least of which is that they charge more than anyone else in the league.

Chivas itself, as a property, may not be worth much but an LA team is very valuable. Given the right ownership, it too could be a flagship franchise. They've all the natural resources to make it work. Can/Will Vegara turn things around? Doubt it. Who knows what Donnie G has up his sleeve to get rid of him but it won't be a dispersal draft, that I can ppromise you. He also might be forced to wait until a new owner comes along before forcing Jose out, on whatever clause is applicable.

What complicates things is that whatever "charge" you can lay at Vegara's foot can also be layed at Krafts, minus the lawsuits. Say what you will about the man, but I imagine he still weilds a lot of power on the BoG.

Now if Jose looses the lawsuits and/or the State investigates...that might change things.

redinthemorning repped this.
  20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Good Points, but I think we'll just disagree on how 'valuable' any franchise in LA is to the rest of the owners when in fact its been a failure. The argument 'with the right ownership' is code for 'an ongoing successful team'. That's not guaranteed because we already know a man with alot of money, trying to tap the huge hispanic population, with alot of success with football teams couldn't do it. That doesn't mean anyone could do it. I'm sure there are clauses in the Owner/Operator agreements for an owner vote. To compare Kraft and Vergara is not accurate. While Kraft hasn't gotten a stadium deal at least he's hired responsible soccer people who's had the in multiple Cups, they've had good teams, and whilel there was a lull of a few years has invested properly in talent to have them on the edge of the playoffs I'm rooting for them.

21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    why does everyone want to get rid of Chivas USA. every league* needs it Wigan.

*even a single-entity one. this ain't FPPS!

22. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, didn't put that together in my head.

JC507 repped this.
  23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me explain my Kraft/Vegara comparison a bit more: Kraft doesn't spend much on the Revs. If their fans are to be believed, he spends next to nothing, using many of his Patriots FO to do the same jobs. The stadium situation is self explanatory. He has also been extremely reluctant to grab a DP over the years and his attendance has been average at best over the last 5 years or so.

Outside the ethical/legal issues in Chivas, many fans/commentators have raised these same issues with Vegara. Hence my comparison. And I don't think ownership wants to get into League-Owned teams anymore so they'll wait until an LA buyer comes along.

Agree to disagree on the value of a 2nd LA team.

Oh and welcome Orlando City! Hope they keep the lion motif when they're promoted!

24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wigan is more competently run than Chivas. We don't need that, but we are stuck with it. DC is more akin lately

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Leveraging the business acumen and relationships of an NFL franchise in the US a good business proposition. See the bloomberg piece and see that having the Seahawks involved is one of the major points of success for the Sounders.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/video/soun...ey-hayzlett-10-15-QqdMrRnmQDiQvWKhLfBBGA.html

Signing a DP isn't a sign of value. Many teams succeed without significant DPs. Houston, RSL, Portland.
    If they make the playoffs the talent/value/salary proposition would be one of the best in the league. That's a good team. Don't get me wrong Kraft isn't promoting the team, attendence is weak, and Revs are a true second thought he is no Vergara in those areas. Vergera is really bad while Draft is poor. Its the difference between grade F- and C. One is barely passing, while the other should be kicked out of school.