MLS Direct Kick and MLS Live 2012 and 13

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by aztec21bas, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Tough luck for Uverse subscribers. And if you are not happy with their level of service, you can and should change providers.

Your "issue" is with your pay-tv provider, not with MLS.

It was not "blacked out" to the millions of ISP subscribers who have access to espn3.com.

And it is not uncommon for individual consumers to "disagree" with some business decisions and realities for some national businesses (such as MLS).

Specifically which EPL games?

You can't make a "specific MLS game" availability comparative analysis to the generic "EPL games" placeholder, as I could easily point to some specific EPL game from this season and note that that particular Wigan v whomever EPL match was "less available" to me (when compared to the Chivas USA v Chicago game in question).

And regardless of a "specific" per game or a "generic" season-long league content availability argument and analysis, it seems to be we are missing some significant differences in the business (and business success) of the two leagues -- and the different media and demo-targeting marketing realities for EPL and for MLS.

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. The blackouts are ridiculous, and even disrespectful to the American fans who speak f'ing English. I already have to pay for two separate packages to get FSC and GolTV which I've had for a few years and as we all know MLS was on FSC. Well, they aren't anymore.

Now, with the two sports packages I'm paying for, I don't get ESPN Deportes, nor do I get NBCSN. I do have MLS Live, because last year I just got pissed that so many of the DK(which I had last yr) games were blacked out an only shown on Galavision, which happened to FCD a lot.

Basically, I'm paying for two sports packages each featuring soccer, and MLS Live, and have to decide on paying for a f'ing 4th package just to get the weekly NBCSN games, and why consider DK when a number of games are blacked out? Did that last year and ended up pissed off. It's ridiculous that Spanish language TV can blackout games in America. MLS needs to change that. For the NFL or NBA packages, they are never blacked out unless on national tv in English, and channels we all get, in ESPN, TNT, Fox, CBS, yet DK/MLS live will be blacked out and put on a channel I don't even have.

And Garber keeps stating we'll be a top league in 10 years. Wonder if the Championship and League 1 games in England are broadcast in Romanian because of the heavy Romanian population there.

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I don't feel disrespected nor do I feel the blackouts are ridiculous.

MLSLive is an incredible value (to me) at the cost.

Being a soccer/MLS fan is sooooo f'ing hard and sooooo f'ing inconvenient and sooooo f'ing expensive.

And fans of the NFL and the NBA have it soooooo much better than do the fans of MLS.

Welcome to reality.

Have you considered changing pay tv service providers?

Matrim55 repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine if you don't feel disrespected by blackouts caused by catering to the Spanish speaking audience. I do.

MLS Live is a good deal. Never said any different. My problem however is that to see most games you need to pay for MLS Live/DK, pay for another sports package to get NBCSN, and pay for yet another sports package to get ESPND or Galavision. So while MLS LIve/DK in itself is a good deal, as a fan who wants to watch all your teams games, you need to pay(if in my situation) for two more packages on top of it. So, it actually can be considerably more than just the "incredible value" you portray overall.

This crap is just juvenile. Quit crying about opposing opinions. It's truly great the economy is going so well money doesn't matter. Oh, wait....

5. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's a feature, not a bug. The whole reason networks pay for MLS content is to force people like you to shell out for their channel.

Barbieri repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_Kingdom
    Highest immigrant language of the UK: Punjabi, 600K speakers (as of 2009).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States
    Highest immigrant language of the US: Spanish: 28 million speakers (as of 2000).

So the largest non-native tongue in the UK is just under 1% of the population while in the U.S. its just under 10% (and growing significantly since that number was calculated).

Other than that though, the two situations are completely comparable. :rolleyes:

Matrim55 repped this.
  7. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I keep forgetting message boards aren't a place to post ideas/comments/thoughts/suggestions. I will remember to ask you for permission on what I can post next time.

Sorry I didn't ask your permission before I posted this. Please don't get mad at me. :rolleyes:

8. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm guessing the Canadian Games will be blacked out again tonight since they are available in Canada on Rogers Sportsnet....

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Those games aren't part of the MLSLive package. So they aren't exactly blacked out, rather not even included.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I demand FC Edmonton be included in MLSLive!

11. We are Rose City

We are Rose City New Member

May 31, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    wow, 8 days later and you are still complaining

12. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    OK, to sorry to harp back on this old question, but I'm just curious if anything has changed:

Are match replays still not immediately available via a Roku box? And if not, how long is the typical wait until these archived games go up?

So far, this is the only sticking point that's keeping me from buying MLS Live and a Roku. If it's not going to offer the basic flexibility I can get from my crappy Comcast DVR, then I'll have to stick with Direct Kick...

13. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, didn't get around to it earlier but I just had a chance to check and it's like it was last week. Those Games do show up and are on the schedule, but they are blacked out. All I'm saying is if you are not supposed to be able to watch why bother putting it on the site?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012
    statushome away watch
    7:00 PM ET New York Red Bulls vs Houston Dynamo blackout
    8:00 PM ET Toronto FC vs Montreal Impact blackout
    8:30 PM ET Chicago Fire vs Real Salt Lake preview
    8:30 PM ET FC Dallas vs Seattle Sounders FC preview
    11:00 PM ET Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs blackout

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Just because they are blacked out for you doesn't mean they're blacked out for everyone else. It's also a convenient way of seeing the entire schedule.

15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My experience so far after a few weeks has been a 24 to 48 hour time delay before you can watch an archived game. However, if you start watching a game while it is still live, but you are behind the live action, you can watch it to the end. Interesting that ESPN3's archive went up almost immediately after the game.

16. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been able to watch replay games via the Roku a couple of hours after the game ends. On my laptop you can watch them immediately.

If the game is blacked out it's a 48 hour wait though.

17. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    The Roku archives for non-Nationally televised matches are up much sooner than at the start of the season. Nationally televised matches still have the 48 hour wait. ESPN probably retains the rights for so long and that is why you can watch an archived match on ESPN3 almost immediately.

I do notice that there is still no archived match for DC-SJ last week, a shame since it is certainly one of the matches of the year thus far.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    DC only played Toronto last week.:ninja:

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  21. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wow... It's really sad that MLS's online presence is dictated by such insane idiocy. They not only have these thoughts, but then they say them out loud... IN PUBLIC. Crazy.

Is Chris Schlosser seriously, honestly, truly that stupid?

22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Why is it insane? I don't think I'd invest a cent in a platform that only had 2% share either.

23. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Its insane because the number is grossly inaccurate. Not too mention a self fulfilling prophecy "no one comes to our site - but maybe that is because the site doesn't support them.

24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You know that they have analytics that tell them exactly what percentage of users are on what platform, right? Your second point may be true, but when they only have 2% share, who cares?

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Don't forget the 2% is ICS phones not all Android phones.