MLS Direct Kick and MLS Live 2012 and 13

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by aztec21bas, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anbody seen any information regarding MLS Direct Kick 2012 or the Matchday app for the iPhone?

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS Direct Kick and Matchday 2012

You mean the thread right under this one?

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You mean like the letter I got from Cox Cable telling me it had already renewed?

4. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually no. But thanks for the snarky answer anyway. I was wanting to know about Direct Kick, not matchday live. There is a difference, hence the new thread. The app is actually different as well. I was wondering about the free app for iphone.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Matchday isn't the same thing as the MLS Live app?

6. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fios already renewed my DK sub, which I didn't have any plan to renew it this year but they did automatically anyway. My hope is to see more HD this time around, but I am not counting on it tho..Video Q from DK is like looking at the time machine from the 70s.

7. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home

Oh man. Those 1970s-era time machines were the WORST.

8. Demolition Man

Nov 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Checking Comcast, Dish, and DirecTV shows the typical "out of season" and "coming soon" type messages. You would think with only a few weeks these companies would get their act together.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

Dish Network online has the 2012 DK available in the accounts\ppv\sports area for $79.

10. Demolition Man

Nov 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the info. So it looks like Direct Kick isn't changing in price this year unlike MLS Live which doesn't have the early bird special this year (so that kinda is a price hike for folks like me).

11. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Last year DirecTV wouldn't allow you to buy Direct Kick until after the opening weekend freeview. Since it wasn't a purchased channel I couldn't set it up to record and thus missed the crew at DC match. I assume the same for this year.

I've noticed that the $50 roku2 at walmart has MLS live ability. I like the archived game option because I can't record everything with the direct kick. However, I've not seen the picture quality coming from the roku. Direct kick (on Directv) gets probably %95 hi-def games. I know mls live claims hi-def but we all know about streaming video compression. If its anything like the streaming desert cup, I think I'll wait a few more years for the online option to improve.

On appleTV there is the nhl and nba apps and I think mlb. I can watch the archived games but just not the live stuff without subscription. I love the functionality but it just doesn't match the Hd coming from directv.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

It's nothing like that. Not even remotely close. It's as good as any high-def online stream from Netflix or Amazon and so on. The limit in stream quality is really only the quality of your connection.

13. PDXMike

PDXMike Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Independence, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This. Given the choice between MDL or Direct Kick I would pick MDL every time.

14. Alfred E Crewman

Alfred E Crewman New Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

do they also have an app for Droid phones?

15. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial

Nope ... they only have an app for the elitist Apple devices.:(

They don't believe in an open source free world.

Commi Bastards!!!

16. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't this it?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mlssoccer

17. Alfred E Crewman

Alfred E Crewman New Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have Match Day on the Droid. Not bad when they are current. But Direct Kick let's you watch most games live on the computer. I'm wondering if the iPhone has the Direct Kick video (live) app that would allow you to watch live games on your phone? That's what it sounds like to me. Unfortunately it also sounds like this is not an available app for Droids.

18. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Although MLS Live isn't supported directly on the Apple TV, if you have an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, you can use "AirPlay" to push the video to the Apple TV. I'd say a good guess is that a majority of Apple TV owners have one of those three devices.

Mind you, I haven't had a chance to try it yet, so I don't know how good the picture quality is. It all depends on whether the mobile app is receiving an HD feed.

------RM

19. HeyNowHeyNow

HeyNowHeyNow New Member

Feb 26, 2012

I had Direct Kick on Dish Network last year and the picture quality was pretty bad, no HD and it was very poor standard def as well. I'm thinking of getting a Roku since it says it will have HD streaming. I'm trying to figure out what are the exact differences between Direct Kick and MLS Live other than who you get it from? It seems Direct Kick offers more games (says up to 233 games) and MLS Live says up to 160 games. Is that right? I'd like to know what games I'd miss with MLS Live versus Direct Kick.
    I'd love if there was an Xbox app for MLS. Has anyone heard any rumors of one?

20. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Technically commies would be all for an open source free world.

The reason things take longer to come to android is that there are too many platforms to support and the OS itself is kind of the dog's breakfast. Once they get it a bit more unified you'll see more support and then you'll see a thread full of bitching that the android app "sucks" from every idiot trying to run it on some ancient shitty phone.

On the other hand writing software for iOS, Roku, XBOX, etc is much easier since they can hit one target for each and specify quite easily which devices will and will not work.

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLS Live advertises 230 games. It has every game not on national television (subject to local blackout restrictions)

22. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last year MDL didn't support "AirPlay" on Apply TV. However, it did sometimes work for me anyway. I have no idea why. And when it did work the picture was decent. Obviously there was some degradation. But absolutely watchable. With the new iOS app actually supporting AirPlay I expect it to be pretty good!

23. HeyNowHeyNow

HeyNowHeyNow New Member

Feb 26, 2012

Now I found out where I was confused. On the MLS Live main page it says, like you mentioned, 230 games. If you go to the MLS Live help page, it says 160 games. OK, now to get a Roku box unless they announce an Xbox app for it.

24. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My understanding is that universal support for pushing video came with iOS 5. Once your iPhone and Apple TV are upgraded, any app which uses the standard iOS media player to handle the streaming should have gained the ability to push the video to the Apple TV. (Prior to that, it was audio push only.)

------RM

25. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure that's the answer then. I updated my iPad and Apple TV just before the playoffs started. Thanks for the info.