MLS Cup TV Broadcasting and Playoff Format (split from MLS Cup post-game thread)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by brahmafutbol, Dec 2, 2012.

1. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would first to four work? Higher seed home, lower seed home, then higher seed home if necessary??? So if the first game is a tie then the lower seed has a huge advantage at home the second game????

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the other codes of football in our nation, playoffs are one and done.
    Which would really make the regular season points chase, like getting a bye and overall home field throughout the playoffs a la NFL, dictate home field advantage. There is no return leg to worry about. Win it tonight n then advance in the bracket tor next Sat/Sunday's playoff game, again, like gridiron with a week's rest for the players' sake. Of course I am more of a gridiron traditionalist with a strong liking for more playoff action not less...just have a Fall and Summer tournaments each ending in playoffs like our neighbors to the South in La Liga MX.

3. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or we can keep shit the way it is.

El Naranja, troutseth and JC507 repped this.
  4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Lower Seed (Friday night) . . . . Higher Seed (Friday Night) . . . Higher Seed (Tuesday Night if needed).

I even put the day in because I think you could do it in only a half week more then this year BUT offering better scheduling/rest and travel.

5. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if the lower seed wins their home game, all they have to do is tie in game two and they advance? Sounds like the higher seed gets screwed in that scenario.

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sort of do. But that's similar to what happens in the two-leg aggregate format (like Dynamo x DCU this year).

And that's also a first to four format. MLS has, IIRC, used first to five and first to six. In those formats, the higher seed gets the third game (and any overtime) at home, which should be an advantage.

JC507 repped this.
  7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    As Anderson said...same today but at least the higher seed in my format doesn't have to make up a GD to get back in it. In fact today the lower seed can win and lose to move on ..KC

JC507 repped this.
  8. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I see it, I'd like first to 5 better if it switched though.

9. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we just do it like basketball and baseball and play 7 game series... Everybody wins. Except the players.

The_Ponce repped this.
  10. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's have the final last a whole month. lol...they end before Christmas so they shouldn't complain! Hahaha

December 1: Game 1 @Higher Seed
    December 5: Game 2 @Higher Seed
    December 9: Game 3 @Lower Seed
    December 13: Game 4 @Lower Seed
    December 17: Game 5 @Higher Seed
    December 20: Game 6 @Lower Seed
    December 23: Game 7 @Higher Seed

THIS IS A JOKE! Don't take this seriously, it isn't like y'all take anything I post seriously anyway. lol

11. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Personally I think we should go to a single table, balanced schedule. Then do it the old Aussie way with a minor and grand final. That would reward the highest seed massively essentially with a bonus life if they get knocked out the semis. That is the ultimate advantage. It's like a get out of jail free card.

12. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    ok, I am procrastinating now with work so I thought of how it could work with it only adding one match to our system now:

for each conference-
    top 5 make it
    4/5 is the play in (one match)
    4/5 winner plans #1 in 2 leg series, while 2/3 does the same.
    winner of #1 vs 4/5 goes to conference major final (gets a bye), loser goes to conf minor final
    2/3-winner to conf minor final, lose goes home.
    conf minor final-2 legs, winner advances to conf majorfinal
    conf major final-one match, winner to MLS Cup.

benefits-advantages of finishing #1-don't have to play in the play in, plays lower seed in first series, if they lose they still aren't out, they just have to play an in extra series. So if you are #1 to get to the Cup you have a min of 3 matches and essentially 2 byes. You have a max of 5 matches to the Cup (same as the current play in format, but you get that extra round to avoid elimination). In this set up you are only adding one match to the playoffs. Which is very doable if you get rid of the bye week before the cup or you can make the conf minor final all done in one week. Which is tough on those teams but rewards the top seed for not losing and being the top seed or rewards the 4/5 for beating the top seed.

problems-really confusing to most dumb Americans. Also it is possible that if you are a 4/5 you would have to play a possible 6 matches 3 and half weeks to make the cup (but hey, don't be the 4/5). Teams with depth will benefit. Shallow teams will not, but it depends on the situation.

13. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Americans can barely comprehend aggregate scoring, imagine the headache explaining a minor/major final.

JC507 repped this.
  14. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    yep

15. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I have a headache now, and I understand it. :)

JC507 repped this.
  16. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do people not understand the current format? Score more goals than the other guy. Boom. Simple. Two games, home/away. Kick the round thingie into the net more times than the other guy and you win.

We should stick with the format we have now, both playoff and league, in every way. It works just fine and after a few years it'll settle on everyone just fine.

redinthemorning, JC507 and The_Ponce repped this.
  17. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny cuz if you ever listen to people in general seating. They have no clue what sporting event they are watching.

JC507 repped this.
  18. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Oh I don't really care if we change it; but a large minority of folks are baffled by combing the scores of two distinct and separate games. They seem to think it is a best of three until you explain it to them.

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the constant balancing act that MLS faces. They have current and prospective fans who are general US sports fans who know little about aggregate goals, fans who are really only familiar with the EPL, fans who are mostly familiar with some Latin American league, etc. There's just a huge variety of backgrounds and soccer experiences among MLS fans.

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think MLS has in its current format a good balance to satisfy everyone while maintaining their own unique stamp on it.

21. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, I've got the answer to the playoff structure quandary:

We put each of the conferences top 4 teams into a match of Nonlinear Football.

A gem from the Texian Army e-mailbox:

The New Football Sport — MLS Supporters Groups

Dear MLS Supporters Groups:

I have designed to a new football sport.
    Due to a new football stadium is approximately equal to three the old football stadium and will also increase the number of players.
    Therefore, the new football sport will create large numbers of jobs and to promote economic development.
    And, 8 the goal and 8 the main direction of attack and defense.
    This is a huge challenge.
    Challenge the limits of human wisdom.

NEW FOOTBALL SPORT — GIFT OF GOD ——

(Please select 1080P HD and Full Screen on YouTube)
    It is a short movies of introduce and propaganda for the new football sport.

The complete design scheme of text and picture —— http://lmxsws.blogspot.com/

[​IMG]

New Era
    New Way
    New Sport
    New Football

I hope that you can introducing and share this new football sport to USA.

THANKS
    HOPES

ZMW
    (email redacted)

----

The goal is not clear.

The situation is the most complex.

Lark Howorth and Heft repped this.
  22. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^ WTF DID I JUST READ?! ^^

*rey* repped this.
  23. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Challenge the limits of human wisdom.

NEWFOOTBALLSPORT and Soccergodlss repped this.
  24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  25. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo