MLS CUP 2013: RSL @SKC Dec 7 2pm MST SUPER-Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 25, 2013.

1. InterPool

InterPool Member

May 28, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its all about the $. Always is. That's why the RSL office is holding tickets if this is indeed the case. They will make sure that their sponsors and other major supporters get first crack. Then the rest of us can scramble for the rest or take our chances with the scalpers (is this legal in KC?). Or perhaps if one signs up for LifeVantage you get a ticket as well as your monthly supply of whatever it is they sell?

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not buying a lot of this
    1. The tickets in the section next to those that the away fans are in were listed at $92 (ish) yesterday. They'll probably be about that amount. Whatever
    2. RSL has stated they have 1,000 tickets to allocate. Some of those will go to sponsors and staff, sure, but not 700 worth.
    3. If by some miracle you can get a KC rep on the line, they'll just do what you would have done on ticketmaster.

3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy airline and hotel, but also buy trip insurance. If you can't get a ticket to the game you can cancel the airline and hotel and only be out the cost of the trip insurance.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it the RSLFO that is holding their sale date back?
    Seems KC has been dragging their feet in this thing the whole time while RSL FO has tried to at least be transparent.

Sporting is showing itself as a pretty shitty host thus far, if you ask me.
    RSL wants people at the game. They are saying to not count on just them. Wanting more than their allotment is a bad thing?

mr prolific repped this.
  5. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, maybe @mr prolific has it right on this one. We had a similar allotment in Seattle for '09 before they opened the upper bowl. Who ended up in the lower bowl seats? The FO's new pet project: La Barra Real. STH's, in my case at least, weren't given the chance at tickets until the upper bowl was opened up. I could see the FO pulling a similar stunt and selling the majority of their allotment to sponsors, priority STH's, and groups they want in the stadium representing RSL.

mr prolific repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Even though I like the idea for team with most points hosting it doesn't mean they should have total control of the situation/event.

This is the crown jewel of the MLS season, MLS SHOULD CONTROL IT 100%. It should be like the USOC and other events where the sanctioning body controls ticket distribution and all game day and game day build up and events.

1000 tickets to the away team is bullshit. It should be closer to 5000+ and if the cant sell them all they can return them to the host city.

This is turning into a cluster of epic proportions. I might just change my mind about the tee shirt thing.

7. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Can't say I'm disappointed to not be going... especially after this FUKC'n debacle.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we'll see how it plays out

I just spoke with my ticket rep (i'm officially a 2014-2016 STH, btw) and she said that the code yesterday caused the event to essentially sell out. She wasn't clear on if that meant the whole stadium or just what was part of that - but that's crazy either way.

She also said, contrary to many reports elswhere, that RSL only has a couple hundred tickets available.
    So either they are holding back quite a bit (most likely) or this 1,000 away ticket number is bullshit

9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If RSL got 1000 tickets, and are only allowing ~200 to reach fans, that's utter BS. I can see holding some back, but not the vast majority.

10. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has put out a statement regarding ticket allocation. Following their usual MO, they have pointed the blame at RSL for stealing the code. Nice journalistic work there. No mention that it was a SKC fan who posted the code to the comments section of an article.

Also, there's this nugget:

11. InterPool

InterPool Member

May 28, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so the 200 number for the fans is probably correct. Thats too bad and this all could have been handled a lot better. But then again, a few more points during the season and we would be hosting and probably would be OK with no KC fans there........

mr prolific repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry y'all, but I cannot hurt on Kansas City. I too vividly remember the five- or six-part scenario that had to work out just right for us to even make it to the playoffs in 2009. One of those? If DC united beat Kansas City, then we would not make the playoffs. KC was already eliminated. KC went down 2-1 sometime around minute 85, but kept attacking, and drew a penalty in stoppage time, which Claudio Lopez (Ismitje crosses himself) scored. They had no reason to keep pushing, but they did - the least likely of the results we needed.

God bless Kansas City. God bless Claudio Lopez (Ismitje crosses himself).

The other things we needed:

* We had to beat Colorado, which was already on 40 points; we won 3-0.
    * Have Toronto, already on 39 points, lose to New York - easily the worst team in the league that season; NY won 5-0.
    * Have Dallas, already on 39 points, lose to Seattle; Seattle won 2-1.

But having that team push when they were done and buried and it didn't matter - well, you need a guy like El Piojo Lopez (Ismitje crosses himself) for that. Here's a photo from that day (and hey, there's ex-RSLer Rashawn McKenzie in the photo):

[​IMG]

ShaggyReAL, Uppa 90, 15 to 32 and 4 others repped this.
  13. SN14

SN14 Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another lesson from 2009: the reason Robbie Findley was brought back to the club. Put simply, he has a knack for scoring goals in important games. Last game of the 2009 season and we need a win against Colorado? Robbie scored a brace. Late in a scoreless playoff game at home against SS winner Columbus? Robbie scored an ulikely beauty late in the game. MLS Cup? Findley scores.

Fast forward to 2013. Playoff series against Portland? Findley scores in both legs.

That's why he's back and Espindola is a memory.

15. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The Fruit Basket Classic.

?

16. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If RSL is guaranteed 1k tickets, it seems like they would be able to sell those tickets at any point. What would stop them from doing so?

When SKC hosted the US Open Cup final last year, Seattle sold out of their initial allocation and SKC opened up more seats for them. When Chicago fans couldn't bear the idea of not having flags, SKC changed the stadium policy to allow flags throughout the stadium.

SKC isn't going to woo away fans or anything - but I haven't heard of them trying to stifle away support. Since SKC promotes away support themselves by buying the tickets for SKC away games and providing them for free to SKC supporters (the owners even sit in the away section at times), I think they appreciate that teams have a responsibility to be good hosts. And, while I could be wrong about that, I know these guys care for the league as a whole a great deal.

My guess is that MLS the organization plays some part in all of this mess. On top of serving the SKC STHs and all, I would expect that MLS has ticket needs too and I don't know how that would affect everything.

In any case, no matter who is to blame, I simply find it appalling that you guys can't buy tickets yet. I'm not sure if we will ever find out who is to blame in this regard, but it's really stupid.

15 to 32 and GoRSL repped this.
  17. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England

There's so such thing as a knack of scoring important goals it's more about being in form at the right time of the season

Still thank goodness he's currently in form .let's hope his good form continues for one more match. I don't care if he scores just as long as he contributes his strong running and pulling defenders out of position and Devon or Seb or Javi or Kyle can score

18. Sabra

Sabra Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Thanks for convalescing with us. I am stumped at the stupidity and lack of common sense shown so far by SKC and the MLS.

I think this debacle lies squarely on the MLS for only requiring 1K tickets for the visiting fans and SKC ticket office's shoulder. They released a code and then realized that RSL fans were using it too. I think this may be worth the $60 filing fee in small claims court to see all the documentation of who did what.

BTW, allocating only 1,000 tickets to a visiting team for the championship game is ludicrous. You know the FO has to take care of their big money donors first so that means they will not be releasing many of those tickets to STH.

#WizintheCup

19. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is MLS's way of getting back at us for the YSA stuff earlier in the season. They don't want any of our "crazy" fans getting in there and starting any YSA nonsense. That stuff is so contagious it would spread like wildfire! [/sarcasm]

SombraAla repped this.
  20. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assure you I am correct on this. 300 max to fans.

15 to 32 repped this.
  21. Deweyville

Deweyville Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    latest email from RSL:

MLS CUP FINAL - TICKET UPDATE
    In order to address part of the overwhelming demand for MLS Cup tickets for our supporters, a limited number tickets to the Dec. 7 match in Kansas City will be released from the team allotment TONIGHT AT 6:00 pm MT.

Wednesday's process will follow the same parameters outlined in Tuesday's newsletter; any additional tickets will be released next Tuesday, December 3rd, as scheduled.

In order to purchase tickets you will need your season ticket account number. Your season ticket account number will be the promo code you will use to access the tickets. Tickets will be $69 each and each account will have a maximum 4 tickets available to it.

To purchase tickets beginning at 6:00 pm MT, click "Purchase Tickets" below, or visitRealSaltLake.com/tickets/ticket-promotions.

22. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You could not be more correct.

Also, according to SKC season ticket holders this game is now sold out, including single seats. I personally would still try 9 am our time directly from SKC.

23. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is still not clear who actually released the code, whether doing so was authorized (by MLS or SKC), and what its intended purpose was. As far as I can tell, no SKC Season Ticket Members ever received from the team the open-ended code that caused all the trouble; instead, we each got an account-specific one. It is worth mentioning that MLS and SKC have had issues with TicketMaster before; most notably, it made tickets available for the All-Star Game before the official announcement that it would be played at Sporting Park.
    That is MLS policy, not something that you can pin on SKC.

It looks like a few scattered single seats are left, along with SRO tickets, for STMs using their account-specific codes.
    I remain highly skeptical that you will be able to buy tickets by calling the team.

24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does this mean Portland will be in trouble for swearing at the ref during their match? Doubtful.

If they're going to continue having the top seed host, which I'm all for, then there needs to be a set percentage of the venue for away fans. I would think something like 15-20% would be a fair allotment. The home team would still have majority, and the visiting team would get more than 300 tickets for the actual fans. 1,000 is just a slap in the face really.

25. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your sarcasm meter must be broken. You should get it looked at.

The 1,000 ticket minimum has been around for a long time. Even when the game was at a neutral site, the majority of the tickets were purchased by the host team fans, not the fans of the teams participating.

mr prolific repped this.