MLS CUP 2013: RSL @SKC Dec 7 2pm MST SUPER-Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Nov 25, 2013.

1. InterPool

InterPool Member

May 28, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just in from MLS.com.

"in order to insure fairness to the Eastern Conf. and insure the best team represents the MLS in the CONCACAF Champions League finals, from 2013 on all goals scored by the home team in the MLS Cup Final will count as double".

2. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not significantly different from flipping a coin.

3. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just gonna pop in and say I hope a giant contingent of you guys make it to KC for this one, and I'm glad it's you and not Portland.

RSL has been my favorite team in the West to watch for a few years now, and I honestly think that they're KCs biggest rivals and a huge rivalry in MLS that has gone under the radar. I'm sure our fans would say Chicago because of proximety or Houston because of our playoff history, but every game between RSL and SKC is a borderline bloodbath, even the preseason matches (I feel like it all started with a nasty Espinzoa tackle (on Beckerman?) in preseason a few years ago and has snowballed from there?), and I think there's some real animosty between the two teams, so it's gonna be a helluva final.

I'll be shocked if it ends with 22 players on the field.

15 to 32, ShaggyReAL, RSLer and 7 others repped this.
  4. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Let's go back to when we hosted KC and there was all that extra added time. They score a winner in the seventh minute of added time, a couple of minutes after the game should have ended a draw. Now we can all say it's a long season balls bounce every which way and it all evens out in the end.

BUT--if that game ends in a draw, SKC and RSL are level on points, level on goal differential. RSL hosts the Cup Final as a result of more goals scored. Given that there have been a ton of studies done that show being the home team is worth half a goal advantage...those extra few minutes seem to loom large.

5. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gonna need a little help on what EMBRATSU means but that sounds about right :D:cry:

6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 SenordrummeR2, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

Oobers repped this.
  7. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    You're sending visitors to that thread....?

Taragui, JLaw, InterPool and 2 others repped this.
  8. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Maybe that was a bad move...

georg, goobx1, BalanceUT and 1 other person repped this.
  9. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I haven't decided if I should send my closest friends to that thread or if I wouldn't wish it upon my most hated enemies.

10. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Send it to your friends that are Portland and Houston fans. They'll get it about now...

Levy2k6 repped this.
  11. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    FYP.

Edit: I was worried that was one of Balance's posts I fixed, and had to check to make sure. You're not irrationally against this widespread internet shorthand, are you?

BalanceUT and Boz repped this.
  12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP :D

BalanceUT, TheBiff, pate and 1 other person repped this.
  13. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    There's only so much being called "juvenile and asinine" that I can take, I guess.

BalanceUT repped this.
  14. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nah - I get the joke. As long as you put 'FYP' with it...

15. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #40 KC96, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Hello fellow MLS fans! SKC fan here if you will allow me a moment to post in your forums.

I made a vow to not talk about the prior regular season match between RSL-SKC any more - here is why: That was, to put it kindly, a poorly officiated game (both parties have their views on why). But I am not going to let that ref dominate the lead up discussion to a very exciting and "enticing" MLS Cup Final match.

There are SO many more interesting story lines to explore between our two clubs, I'd rather focus on that then let that *(*&*&^ ref take one more minute of OUR (both our team's) deserved time in the spotlight (Dear media/MLSsoccer.com - feel free to use these and quit lazily re-hashing a half year old bad ref job):

*Jason Kreis - mastermind and heart and soul of what RSL is today. Will winning the Cup increase/decrease his chances of staying at RSL vs. bolting to NYCFC, or does it matter?

*Immovable Object vs. Irresistable Force. SKC has the best Defense in terms of Goals per Game given up. RSL the best offense in terms of Goals per Game scored (if you include the playoffs). Classic test case of whether a good Offense or a good Defense wins Championships.

*Something from Nothing. RSL was supposed to be "rebuilding". SKC lost some key players to England/Premiere League. Now look at them.

*Did you get the memo? You need DP's (preferably three) to win! Right LA, Seattle, NY? Hello? (echo). Oh, the one DP that RSL has and the one DP SKC has might be sitting on the bench for this Final because others on the roster are outperforming them at the moment? What's going on here? :) You mean coaching and team style and philosophy and depth make a difference?

*A tale of Two Cities / Battle of the "City's". Forget the 2015 hype about the new "City" club in NY (backed by a EPL "City" - gag). Salt Lake CITY and Kansas CITY are local/organically grown passionate, soccer loving towns where no one thought it would thrive. Let's embrace and celebrate that before we over-indulge on the paid-for/imported media driven "passion" of NYCFC for the next 12 months.

*Home away from Home. SKC and RSL are two of 3 teams this year with a positive road goal differential, and both appear sometimes jinxed at home (although both teams eased that jinx this year in the playoffs vs HOU and LA respectively). Does homefield really have an impact?

*Frenemies. Besler, Zusi, Beckerman, Rimando. Competitors for 90-120 mins on Dec 7, but long time teammates for the US this past year. All looking to cement their spot on the 23 for WC Brazil.

*One Coach is "passionate" the other coach "whines" too much. LOL. Pick your side :)

Anyways - to all RSL fans making the trip - welcome to KC! Have a safe journey, try some great BBQ. In order - try (1) Oklahoma Joe's Z-man sandwhich and fries (Men's Health Magazine - "Top 13 places in the world to eat at before you die"), (2) Fiorella's Jack Stack (Zagat - "best BBQ restaurant in the country") Crown Prime Beef Rib(s) (just get the single rib in the appetizer, they are HUGE) and BBQ Baked Beans (they deliver gallons of this all over the country via mail order - find out why), (3) Arthur Bryant's Burnt Ends. And of course, bring lots of warm clothing.

Here's to a great MLS Cup! May no ref take this game away from us fans....

Ryantherusskie, Duiz, rslfanboy and 14 others repped this.
  16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams demonstrating the "Ewing Theory"

17. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Thanks KC96. Good post and suggestions. While I'd rather not dwell on a summer of bad reffing - and that game in particular - it still does suck that 30 seconds less time would've meant a game at the RioT instead of Sporting Park. Embratsu!

On a different topic - can you spare a few tickets for a poor ticketless RSL fan?? :(;)

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please stop talking about food. Now I want some delicious BBQ. PS my birthday is coming up. You guys should fund me a trip to the final. ;)

BalanceUT repped this.
  19. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mapquest sez it's a 15 1/2 hour drive from here to SKC, which would be about 25 hours in the McMouse Party Bus.
    [​IMG]
    Anybody making the trip?

BalanceUT repped this.
  20. Yam18

Yam18 Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello all, I recently re-located to the area so I am a relatively new RSL fan. Anyone planning to make the trip to KC for the match? A friend and I already have flights, not sure what we are doing about tickets though. Would love to sit with some other RSL fans if anyone has a way to get tickets or at the very least, plan some sort of pre-game meet up.

Thanks!

21. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take that bus and I will pay for the gas!

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thought, I think it would be a huge mistake to break up the Sandoval/Findley combo at this point. Need a late offensive threat when K.C. Is bunkered in? Bring in Sabo and hope for some magic. But Sabo has not earned the right to start.

BalanceUT repped this.
  23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you say he hasn't earned the right? Not necessarily disagreeing, but he was playing really good vs LA and was unlucky to get an injury at the end.

24. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team has been better without Sabo much of this season. The stats prove it and so does the teams recent form. The combo of Findley and Sandoval are getting it done. I just don't think Sabo on the pitch makes RSL better. Findley sucked all year, but due to his recent play deserves to be in the 11. Like I said if we need a late goal bring in Sabo, but to shake up the team that got us into the MLS cup final to me would be a mistake.

25. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    tbh, you also said Velasquez should start and he didn't.
    We still won.

I'm not really convinced the cup will be won or lost due to one player on the line-up.
    If the entire team plays like they have so far in the playoffs then it won't matter for better or worse who started up top.