MLS Cup 2012 - PETRESCU [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by whiteball, Nov 19, 2012.

1. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Really?

#1. A dogso red has absolutely NOTHING to do with player safety, especially THIS one.

#2. If you call the game "by the book", chances are you will not be calling many games, at least at any appreciable level.

#3. I could have sworn I just spent an entire seminar with paul tamberino who basically outlined the difference between technical/by the book referees, and practical referees. His advice? If you have any pro aspirations whatsoever, throw the technical hat out the window. Mind you, this is a guy who worked I believe four mls finals, not because he was technically the best referee, but because he did what in most cases was right for the game.

#4. the problem with refs in this country, imo, is that they can't get past the black letter law mentality and/or lack the (as Tom Bobadilla puts it) finger-lickin-good (fingerspietzengufel sp???) touch necessary.

#5. If you call everything by the book, Law 18 would not be necessary. Is that what you're advocating?

2. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And you think a bunch of underqualified referees on an internet forum are more reliable to listen to then someone that assesses MLS games weekly? Ok buddy

3. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Ah sir, sandy isn't the only person who assesses MLS games...nor am I taking your assertions as fact. case closed.

4. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And like I care what you think, along with anyone else on here. You've proved to be a Seattle hater from your posts about Sigi's comments made about Salazar, so you bringing up Seattle again just proves that are just a complete douche bag that can't keep the Sounders name out of your mouth.

5. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Yes, you're right, I hate Seattle....of all places, frickin' Seattle....LOL...as if Seattle or any other MLS team/city makes ANY bit of difference in my world....LOL. Sigi was being a moron. He called salazar the oppositions 12th man at HALFTIME because of the red card he issued, and then at the end of the match said salazar was correct for giving the red. This is the level of self serving idiocy we're talking about.

Oh, and btw, call your girlfriend or wife a douche bag. I didn't come on here throwing around personal insults, you did.

6. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Saying LOL does not make you cool, it makes you look like a little kid. Just saying. And there you go, talking about things that happened in a Seattle game over a month ago rather then talking about the game that the thread is actually about. How about getting back to the MLS Cup, where Petrescu called a handling offense that actually was one, you know because Clark had more then enough time to move his arm, but he chose not to.

7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I have often wondered - what does an [R] in the title mean?

Barciur repped this.
  8. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    They are antonyms.

9. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I would venture to say that Petrescu called it bc Clarks hand had no business being where it was AND the ball was going on net. I would also venture to say that if the exact same thing happened at the edge of the box, Petrescu swallows his whistle. Just a hunch. Oh, and as it relates to the seattle handling offense, Clarks hand was stationary, not moving towards the ball like the seattle defender...and petrescu still called it, correctly IMO.

10. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Once again, you have to talk about Seattle in every post. You sir, are a douche. That is all.

11. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    aek chicago and CKRef22-

You both sound like a couple of little kids trading insults on the playground at their grade school. Why don't you both knock it off and act like Referees. ;)

IASocFan, GoDawgsGo, tog and 14 others repped this.
  12. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Both continuing an old argument by choice. Let's move on.

I thought it was a great game by Petrescu.

mtn335, jarbitro, Alberto and 1 other person repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was going to say they both were acting like referees...:p

*ducks*
    :unsure:
    //awaits ban from board

It has been good. See you on the other boards.;)

14. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Remember the thread "Things I don't like about this forum."? See above.

aaronriley, Barciur, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or get a room.

Good match from Petrescu.

dadman repped this.
  16. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've only reffed at the u8 level, so I don't know much, but I have a question for the forum. I thought the game was way choppier and less skilled than it should have been because of the large amount of contact Petrescu let go in the first half- second half seemed a bit tighter. I am not a fan of this style of reffing. Its going to be really hard to have good style of soccer if refs allow defenders to clear out attackers with impunity. Did you all see this as well?

17. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    West Coast
    I really like his style for certain MLS matches.....others maybe not so much, but usually he does a really nice job of staying out of the way and allowing the game to be the star.

US Soccer has been promoting more and more of the Geiger and Jair style of reffing - which is great. They are good. But there are a lot of games in a season and the managing less "showey" refs can often deliver a great product.

jarbitro repped this.
  18. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It stands for "ruiner" (or results, I don't remember).

Basically you should not discuss results/proceedings of games in any threads that don't have the [R] in the title, so that people who are recording the game to watch at a later date can still be on the boards and not worry about getting the game spoiled.

Though anyone who clicked on this thread not expecting spoilers probably deserved it ;)

Ismitje repped this.
  19. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think Petrescu was taking a bit of a gamble on not giving the red card, unless he knew that he would have called the game immediately if the penalty was missed. There was some time wasted during stoppage time, so it's certainly possible the game could have gone on long enough for the penalty to be saved and the Dynamo to score on a quick counter, letting Houston keep the starter on for ET and possibly PK's, a huge, unfair advantage.

My guess is he knew what he was doing.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? It means you may find results discussed in the thread.

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that is what the big criticism of Petrescu. He lets way too much physical play go. Sometimes when you have teams that play cleanly it can work. You get a team with a dark chippy side and it will be a disaster.

tog and ChapacoSoccer repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed and it seems like so does everyone else. But self-policing and warnings haven't seem to have gotten the message across. So, like in refereeing, we're escalating a bit now. Hopefully that ends things. Sorry it took awhile, everyone, but I have been busy this weekend.

tog, mtn335, jarbitro and 4 others repped this.
  23. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'm not entirely convinced it was a dogso, or at least not obvious enough. I think he may have realized he had an out and took it.

In any event, even if I'm not a big fan of his style, I thought he handled the match just fine.

24. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are correct. The US cares more about entertainment value and the almighty dollar.

There is a reason why we don't see as many US based refs getting as many World Cup assignments and such.

25. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    As long as the USSF stresses the 4 Ds, there is an out for almost every occasion. Keane was clearly cutting away from the goal on the foul, so even though common sense (and the rest of the world) tells us that it's DOGSO, you can't argue that it HAS to be called in that situation.