MLS Cup 2012 - PETRESCU [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by whiteball, Nov 19, 2012.

1. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    And i suppose THAT wasn't a handling offense either because Clarks hand was in a "natural" position and returning to its original spot? LOL!

2. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly a lot more natural looking than the one before. but doubt we'll see too many arguments.

3. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Clark also had a long time to move his arm, Johannson did not. Continue being a complete idiot on every thread tho, it's an amusing read.

4. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Petrescu vindicated the assignment. He let them play, and managed the game quite well. I loved that he didn't overreact on the PK by giving out a card, and I loved that he let Bekham have a send off of sorts, without it becoming a parade. He had the right balance there (anyone remember when he sent a Toronto player off a few years ago for an almost identical sub?). I was really impressed by how he called this game.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Anyone have a reason, other than there was less than a minute left in the MLS cup and it just didn't matter, that the 2nd PK wasn't DOGSO?

6. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the less than 1 min left, doesn't matter, and Pretescu's normal reluctance to give cards all combine to mean no red card. If you want a reason, you could say the ball wasn't going towards the goal (he had cut away), the angle for a shot would have been too tough, and another defender was on the line (he was even holding the post by the time the whistle blew). With all that though, it probably would have been a send off if the call would have mattered.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, I thought DGSO at first...but in reading your post I have changed my mind.

dadman repped this.
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was waiting for him to give Beckham a card for taking so long to go off the field when he was subbed out of his tribute match.

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    IMHO, those are all excuses, not reasons, and without the foul the goal was inevitable.

[1] is always going to be true when going around a player -- in this case, the ball was right there;
    [2] for a pro player, that was not a challenging angle;
    [3] would be simply incorrect since the fouling player was the GK - the defender being back is the same as the typical foul by a defender with a GK back.

(I'm frankly struggling with the fact that I think it should have been DOGSO, but that I'm OK with the yellow anway . . . .)

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I thought he handled that well . . . he added on time, but also shooed players away after the first couple came over . . .

11. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to re-watch but something seemed funny about that telecast.

I can't recall a single replay of a tight non call other than OS.

12. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always frustrating to me when they don't show replays. Also would have loved to see an offside replay on Donovan's miss.

But I wonder if non-refs care as much.

13. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I did see a replay of Donovan's miss @ HT from a camera behind the goal line.

The league wouldn't instruct the producer not to show any of those tight non calls on possible fouls now would they ?

Just asking.

14. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly Petrescu needs to learn the difference between deliberate and unintentional. There were several handball calls that should not have resulted in a foul. Also he missed a clear out that should have resulted in a whistle prior to the penalty. I did not see a conclusive replay to suggest there was deliberate handling in the first penalty.

The keeper should have been sent off. That was a clear example of DOGSO.

Petrescu continues to allow much too physical play. It gets chippy and he is oblivious to what's going on. No cards no talks no acknowledgement. That is terrible. It worked out for him given both teams generally came to play. That is not always the case!

16. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I think the idiot is the one who mainatins a position contrary to that of the overwhelming MAJORITY of posters on this forum and of a highly rated FIFA ref. Find somebody else to call an idiot, jerky.

17. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I wasn't a big fan of his, but I liked how he handled this match.

A DOGSO send off in the last minute of a match when he has plenty of outs?

Please.

18. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    The opportunity has to be OBVIOUS, even after all four D's have been met.

Not so sure the direction of play was met, in any event.

Nonetheless, why do you need to send off the keeper in the last minute of the final if you dont have to, especially when you've already pointed to the spot?

19. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    why?

Use your common sense.

Galaxy is going to take the pk, and then shortly after kick off you're going to blow the final whistle. What difference would sending off the keeper make?

Law 18.

If you have an out, take it.

20. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I hope you're joking here...

21. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    After the original slew of replays, they showed (only once) one replay with a great angle where it was clear the ball hit Clark's upper arm, which was in an "unnatural position" and would have gone on goal had it been not so.

There was one play early in the 1st half where he called a foul on the Galaxy's Wilhelmsson when he stripped the defender of the ball. I thought it was a clean play. Would have been interesting if he would have produced a caution for simulation after Wilhelmsson went down like a ton of bricks right after.

I'm not a Petrescu fan, but I admit he did ok. Most guys would have missed the goal he dissallowed where the Galaxy player (sorry, forgot his name) held down the Dynamo defender with his arm on the header as he's preventing the defender from jumping to get to the ball.

22. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'm with you Metro, not a big fan of Petrescu....more as a matter of style than substance.....but I can't find any fault with his work in the final.

No question in my mind on the initial pk, good call on the disallowed goal, and great restraint and common sense in not sending off Houston's keeper at the tail end. I also thought he handled the Beckham sunstitution very well. All in all a solid performance. And again, I'm not necessarily a big fan of his.

23. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Then quit trolling dumbass. This game had nothing to do with Seattle, so why don't you just talk about this game and leave past ones out of it. A highly rated FIFA ref? Well guess what, I work for Sandy Hunt. Do you know who that is? And she said that PRO does not want that called as handling, but they will never come out and say this to the media. But thanks for acting like you're the only one that knows higher ranked officials.

24. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Good for you dumbass...thanks for name dropping. No, I have no idea who sandy hunt is....LOL. Good for you that you work for her though, LOL. Impressive. Nonetheless, its still a pk.....irrespective of your unfounded and unsubstantiated assertions. Nonetheless, even IF true, I'm sure sandy would be thrilled to death knowing you're flapping your gums on an internet forum about things said in confidence. Smart move, Einstein.

Take a look at the poll of refs on this forum...one in which I did not partake. Therein should lie your answer.

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petrescu just doesn't call the game tight enough. I'm not a fan of the attitude among many US refs. At this level, it's not a referees job to appease the players, coaches, and fans by being lenient. It's the referees job to keep everyone safe, call the game by the book, and keep tempers as low as possible.

At an amateur adult league game, you can be a mediator. At a pro game with proper security, you give the red card at the end of the match because that's the way the law is written.