Alert: MLS COMBINE, DRAFT and TRADE discussions [as well as academy talk]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by benni..., Jan 11, 2013.

1. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Kemp... not a bad name.

2. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lockeroom material!

Doogie Doogie Doogie!

3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, an @ActuallyNPH look-alike. Nice. I'd have alternately taken NPH himself, he's a funny dude who knows magic - we could use both talents throughout the MLS Season :D

stangspritzring repped this.
  4. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glad to have you back around these parts, dad!

5. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he has already had the customary DCU player trip to Germany for a hernia? Awesome.... any history with hamstring pulls or concussions?

6. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm very pleased with the pick. For having such a late pick. This may be a good one long term.

7. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I was pleased that the mock drafters's predictions were right; lots of attacking players taken early and DCU should have first or second choice of all LB's available.

I also thought they took that 5minute timeout/clock extension just to stay on ESPN 3 longer ;)

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked his last quote a lot: you're a success when you're the guy your teammates want on the field with them. I think it says a lot about his value system and sense of team.

Real Mobile and benni... repped this.
  10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    With the supplemental draft being today (I've seen both 12pm and 2pm), I suspect that DCU may select a GK in the 2nd or 3rd round to begin training a backup if/when Hamid leaves and the kid from VCU (3rd stringer - name escapes me).

Daniel Withrow (Marshall) was with the DCU U23 last summer. I think this may be the pick if he's there.

If Jimmy Belshaw (Duke) is there - he might be the guy. He's more talented than Withrow, but he'd take an international slot and with only 2 remaining of the 7, it'd be a hard think.

dadman and fatbastard repped this.
  11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    What a total F-idiot! Did you forget that we have Diego Restrepo coming to camp?

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    oh, yeah. I did forget.

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Evan Rayner, 2 passes, nice job, DK.

Rayner (UCLA) is a quick small winger, but his tactical acumen is as slight as he is. I doubt he makes the team - and if he somehow does make the team, he'll be playing at 1030 on Sunday mornings.

It's possible that Rayner could be loaned to a USL-Pro team - he'll need at least a year.

Pass - I don't have an opinion
    Pass - This may be the worst pick.

14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So you're saying DCU drafted a younger Boyzz Khumalo?

15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    younger and low-rent Khumalo.

watch as he goes centrally into the tooth of the defense with space available down the wings.

16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Joe -- Given that Restrepo is in camp as a GK trialist. Was there anyone left on the board when DCU had its second pick that was worth the effort? I get the sense that after the first two rounds in the "Superdraft" the pickings get slim very fast and you are just as likely to get a Bobby Boswell type trialist on the down low than actually draft what amounts to soccer cannon fodder. In other words, I'm not sure if the Supplemental Draft really is worth the time and effort.

17. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Worst part of the supplemental draft is they conduct this thing after training camps begin. These are players that need to prove themselves in camp just to make the roster. So instead of them being drafted a week before preseason workouts and having some sense of what is expected and where they are going, they get a phone call and plane ticket and have to rush out to arrive late. Complete disservice to these guys just trying to live their dream.

Boloni86 repped this.
  18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    In the supplemental draft there are always intriguing players. There are still some undrafted that I wouldn't be surprised to see fighting to get back into MLS. But, generally there are question marks about these players (otherwise, they would have already been selected). Most of the time, the question is does the player have the requisite athletic ability to play in MLS. technical skill, drive, size, taking an international slot.

For example, Peter McGlynn (UCSB - "pushing/punching ref) is the best and most ready pure RB* in the draft. But, he requires an international slot. He was the third from last player selected. I would not be surprised if McGlynn makes the SJE team.

* by pure, I mean that the player has been playing RB in college and are not projected to play RB from another position (Farrell, Muller)

Players undrafted that I find interesting (but, by no means a sure thing)
    Thomas McNamara (Brown) LMF/CMF
    Louis Clark (Syracuse) International RMF
    Fejiro Okiomah (High Point) RB (played RCB in college; played RB in PDL)
    William Prado (Concordia-Irvine NAIA) RMF

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read him saying they'd likely only make 2 picks - so someone must have taken their other player :)
    As late as our picks were, I'm guessing both of them were actually taken, but we picked this guy as a ploy to try to get DeLeon to grow his hair back out (or at least let it go black again, what a freakshow it is right now)