MLS CANADA and Other Clubs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's seems like the fortunes of Canada will turn in the far future. It will be great to see these clubs improving our Canadian players in turn improving the national team. I do hope that MLS does add another Canadian team. One day will have the national team make the world cup.

2. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I agree if Canada can begin to get to that level it will make the Concacaf so much better to add Canada to the US to also begin to challenge Mexico at that elite level placing all three North America teams top of the concacaf.

3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    origaninally the OSEG did apply to the MLS but at the time the stadium debacle held that up now that they are ready to go the MLS has really put a firm vision to expand only to 24 by 2020 and smaller cities like Ottawa are going to find a harder time to get a MLS franchise as long as there are still larger US cities.
    Unfortunate that the Stadium project was held up do to a small group of people for about a 5 year period because at the time Ottawa may have just slipped into the MLS with the league looking North of the Border for franchises.
    Now that they have secured the big 3 the focus has been elsewhere.
    Could have been cool to see what could have been made out of a DC United vs Ottawa Fury game with each being their countries capitols

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, you could watch a Senators/Capitals game...

5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I sure could but soccer is driven by rivalry cups, Derbys etc.

6. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Vancouver vs Montreal this weekend... I'm not sure which team Toronto will be playing but hope they win. Also Toronto named their new GM and will see how it goes for them.

7. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Shaun Saiko will not be playing for FC Edmonton any longer. I wonder where he will go now... He could or might play for an MLS team will see what he does.

8. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This weekend MLS, Vancouver vs Colorado, Montreal vs Philadelphia, and Toronto vs Chicago would it be possible for another all Canadian club wins. Would be great!

9. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Allez-y Montreal! Playing terrible of late but with a veteran squad perhaps they'll step it up in the playoffs. Montreal heading to the deep south, Houston,TX. If the Impact play like they did at the start of the season their favorites to make it to the mls cup.

10. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The three clubs are now in off season mode. Montreal might be looking at getting a new manager, and Vancouver are looking for a manager. Both should inquire about the Maryland manager whose Canadian, and also the Duke manager from the college ranks. Maybe Stalteri might want to manage or other retired players that have managing credentials or getting it soon. Would like to see a Canadian manage one of the three clubs. Shame that Yallop went to Chicago could've of happened.

11. MFG North Side

Nov 4, 2012
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Mauro Biello should get some serious consideration for the Montreal job, if IMFC decide to with a new manager. Is he ready? That's a whole different story.

12. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Liking what I read about Vancouver wanting a manager willing to bring up academic players. This would be great having some more youngsters getting playing time for this club.

13. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC and VW have made a few roster moves with TFC bound to make a huge announcement on DP player. This will be an interesting off season for these three clubs.

14. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    News are J.Defoe signing should be announced by next week. If that's true TFC should become a top team next season along with signing De Rosario.

15. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i imagine De Rosario is happy with his contract this time around. I am sure that TFC fans are happy to see him home as well. TFC's Leiwenke said he was going to turn it around with some high priced DP's

16. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's if he comes with the right attitude and leadership brings it each games. I would not be surprised if he comes off the bench either.

17. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He left Toronto on bad terms so I would think his return would put them both on the same page at this point of his career

18. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    While we are on the topic of TFC when are the Lynx scheduled to join the USL Pro as TFC Affiliate ?
    I could see a nice rivalry Rochester Rhinos be a nice minor affiliate rivalry

19. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    D3 USL Pro in Hamilton is dead, the city recommended against allowing the Lynx in the new stadium as they want a higher profile league and club(NASL), not a TFC farm team in the 3rd division.

They are still in ongoing negotiations with CFL Ti-Cats owner Bob Young for a NASL expansion team though, possibly in 2016.

20. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not sure if they're making a wise decision there. Yes it's less desirable, but they're taking a risk of having no team at all if investors for a NASL club cannot be found.

Wonder what the Lynx will do now. There really aren't any more viable options in Ontario for USL Pro, after Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa the largest urban centres are Kit-Wat-Cam and London, both of whom already have PDL and CSL clubs.

Doubt they would want to move across the country to Calgary or Winnipeg, Quebec City is more likely to link up with Impact. Halifax maybe?

Their best option is probably to remain in PDL and move to the inner 905. See which 905 city is willing to provide them with a nice but modest stadium.

21. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

22. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Best for the Lynx to stay close to Toronto, like Missasauga. Greater Toronto metro area should be large enough to support a D3 farm team for TFC, USL Pro averages 2600 per game which should be attainable in the City. Plus TFC fans would be more likely to support the team than outside fans in another city.

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yup the reason they tried but failed to get THF. They would prefer a soccer stadium with no football lines im sure so whether the new training facility in Mississuaga will have a game field with 5K seats or will they just stick with centenial park for now?

24. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Words on the streets are Bradley to TFC would be something if it does occur and wonder what they will do with Labas. TFC making some noises big time.

25. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It was all the talk tonight on ESPN FC. There are some big bucks involved. Roma appears to be loaded at Bradleys spot and going inot a World Cup year he wants to be on the field every game