MLS CANADA and Other Clubs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Been a while TFC won road and Osorio is playing but not Bekker hopefully he gets more playing time. Teilbert is doing well for the Caps. Montreal shut out geez on the road. MLS is a highly competitive league.

2. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Teibert will be one of Canada's best in the near future I think, he's really impressing for Vancouver lately.

Guarda-Redes repped this.
  3. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's one to watch but I don't follow the Caps much what position does he play for them usually?

4. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well TFC has been making some moves for a DP (Forlan possibly)... but could also give more playing time for the Canadian players ie Bekker, Welshman, and Osorio. I hope that is.

5. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a quick glance of the PDL standings shows four Canadian teams leading divisions going into the last week of the season (after London defeated my Michigan Bucks to take the divisional lead); way to go, Northerners:
    Central Conference, Great Lakes Division: Forest City London
    Central Conference, Heartland Division: Thunder Bay Chill
    Eastern Conference, Northeast Division: Ottawa Fury
    Western Conference, Northwest Division: Victoria Highlanders
    http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/standings/

6. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well TFC is making more moves with O'dea transferrin.

7. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    I don't understand TFC's Silva move, you just don't unload a 2012 1st round pick for money. They better have something huge planned *cough* Forlan *cough* Kaka *cough*

8. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All right seriously I'm hoping Bekker, and Osorio are given more playing time with TFC. I like what I saw from both of them and with more playing time mainly Bekker they will improve. Although I can not lie I'm not in favor of Nelsen being the manager of TFC but he is.
    Porter played poorly in the first game he came in but I like what he brings hope he keeps it going with DC United. I believe he can be a good winger for Canada in the future...

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Canada along with other Concacaf countries should benefit greatly by the NASL expansion of teams. The southern Florida teams, Atlanta, and Carolina will be a great destination for Central Americam and Caribean players from the international programs who would love to play and live the US.
    Edmonton's roster is already filled with Canadian Players as I suspect Ottawa will be. A Hamilton team looks like it will be coming in the near future and Calgary with the Flames now owning the Stamps as well as the indoor Lacrosse team it looks like adding an NASL team would seem to be added to their stable of teams. The new stadiums will be looking to add a pro soccer team to give them another tenant. The NASL will likely to want theses franchises in Canada with the new stadiums. The new rebranded Sportsnet 360 is dedicated to Canadian sports and teams could be very interested in a deal with the NASL Canadian teams to televise games.
    Canada may not have its own league but with 4 or even 5 Canadian teams (Winnipeg also a possibility) playing in the NASL it will give the Canadian players coming trough the international system a good tier II league in which players can stay on home soil.
    In the long run it will make the Voyager Cup a bigger deal. The NASL Canadian teams would also be able to attract international players from the Central American and Caribean countrie that would love to live and play in Canada as well as the US.
    The NASL seems like it is going to be a very strong Tier II league for the Concacaf countries to funnel players through keeping them on this side of the pond.
    The NASL should help the Canadian Men's National team program the same way that the MLS helped the USA. More athletes will stay with soccer knowing that they have several teams they can play for on Canadian soil.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  10. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why is it Bekker not getting more PT kinda sucks really for this guy.

11. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    The NASL schedule is to light. Those teams need more games to really have an impact in developing players for CONCACAF countries

12. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    30-32 games in 2014 for NASL's Apertura-Clausura Split Season and possibly Soccer Bowl appearance, plus Canada Championship/USOC games, possible friendlies. Light?

13. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

In comparison to pretty much every other league in the world including CONCACAF leagues yes even including the friendlies which is telling you felt the need to include. Pretty much every club in the world plays friendlies now and of course they are friendlies. The Canadian championship and US Open cup games could be as little as two or even one game. The soccer bowl only involves two teams and again doesn't add very many games to a club. This NASL season should be 26 games easily among the lightest in the world and it has a break in between seasons. Moving up to 32 games next year provided no more teams fold still isn't a very demanding season

14. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well TFC and Montreal both won there game yesterday while Vancouver lost. TFC got there first win in BMO since last year and maybe could push them to gain more wins. Also still no Bekker I would like to see him play a bit more times come on Nelsen. Hoping to see more Canadians play for these clubs in the future mainly VW and MI have two to four starting at least.

15. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And MLS is a 34 game season, how many games would you consider not a light schedule? How many would be too much in your opinion? 32 games next NASL season is not light and is probably a perfect number of games, 26 is a bit light for this year granted, but don't compare it to the average world schedule because NA is a spring summer schedule unlike most of the world so its not relevant.

Pro Soccer in North America can only pack so many games into its March/April to Nov schedule. Take a look at the average number of games in a season the last few decades in NA to put into context what a "light" season would be.

16. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

32 games in a season is getting there not sure how you think it is the perfect number of games. Most leagues range from 36-38 games along with cup competitions. The MLS will soon get there they certaitnly aren't stopping at 34. Previous NASL seasons were 28, 30 and this season was 26 games not sure why you are so defensive of the calling their seasons light. Once the NASL goes up to 32 games they will get passed Nicaraguan clubs in terms of season length but still be among the lightest in CONCACAF. Most leagues even second division leagues across the world play more games. This isn't just about comparing the NASL to NA leagues either if we are discussing the NASL playing a major impact on player development in this region. Players from CONCACAF play and develop in leagues all over the world

Yes once the NASL adds 6 more games to each club they will get closer to the MLS seasons length but that is still contingent on keeping all of their clubs next season which is by no means a lock. We could still see a 28 game season for the NASL next year which would still keep them below Nicaraguas league

17. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All right Toronto FC got Urruti and he might play Saturday.

18. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal Impact are going to play CD Heredia and let's hope to see some young canucks play since three of the veterans (Bernier, Nesta, and Di Viao) aren't playing tonight.

19. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal won 5-0 over Houston and that's a great win for the Impact. Would like to see more Canadian players actually play.
    Kinda wonder which MLS players will Floro call for his first camp

20. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know it's a big youth movement now, but I'd still like to see DeRo out there, if for no other reason than for mentoring.

21. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would not mind he gets called in but it should not be about youth movement 100% just yet having a good amount of veterans around should help.

Ottawa Fury are doing some cool things with their jerseys selection and whatnot. I wonder do the owner have ambitions to join MLS in the next 7years. Would be great to have four Canadian MLS team an ideal amount. Also would like to see MLS revise the regulations and allow Canadians to not count as domestic players with American teams in MLS.

22. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    R.Nelsen mentioned that he will send players out on loan mentioning Bekker as being one of those players. I wonder if TFC, and Impact will do the same for there youngsters. Also where would should they send them if that is the case.

23. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's being discussed on the TFC board. People are jsut hoping that they'll get real playing time.

24. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Anybody here also posts in the Voyageurs Forum? I can't open it anymore, seems to be gone for a number of days now.

25. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With Ottawa coming in and the good possibility that Calgary and/or Hamilton may both become members of the NASL that will give 4 Canadian NASL teams 2 in the east and two in the west in which to loan Canadian players to giving them a chance at some meaningful playing time.

If things continue the way that they seem to be adding Jacksonville to the other two Florida teams FT Lauderdale and Tampa connecting with the Central American countries focusing on young internationals from these countries not only keeping those young National players in the Western Hemisphere but in the Concacaf region should make for some great competition for the Canadian players.
    Vancouver and FC Edmonton already have a nice working loan relationship extending that further with Ottawa in the East for 2014 will be a nice start for both TFC and Impact players until hopefully both Calgary and Hamilton join the NASL.

Its really going to be fun to watch this unfold

Scorpion26 repped this.