MLS CANADA and Other Clubs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We all would like to see the Canadian clubs have high success.It will take time and time they got or maybe.

2. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Vancouver signed Simon Thomas.... He's a gk and former academic player.

3. Copes

Copes Member

Aug 30, 2012
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What do most of you think happens this season for all three clubs in MLS?
    I believe Montreal and Vancouver make the playoff. Toronto will improve but will miss out again. All three team will improve and that's if their veterans can stay healthy.
    Which rookies makes a big impact for their respective team?
    I believe Kyle Bekker will do well in his first season and is good at set pieces. I hope all three team makes the playoff.

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I expect a great season for Vancouver, a terrible one for Toronto and I'm undecided on Montreal.

I also expect that VWFC will finally get their long overdue first Voyageurs Cup.

6. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For Montreal I believe will make the playoff if healthy for most of the season

7. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Crépeau, M has signed with Montreal. Also good wins for Montreal and Vancouver on week 1. Toronto will have to look for its first win next time. Bekker played well and hopefully it carries on the entire season.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Copes

Copes Member

Aug 30, 2012
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pretty much agree with you. I'm quite confident Montreal will make the playoffs. To be honest, I think they are still a bit underestimated by many. They had a fantastic pre-season, I was happy with how they looked for the first ~65 minutes of the Sounders game, and I think they will only improve. They look good playing together, and that means something. I expect to see more Karl Ouimette. I hope they all stay healthy.

I don't know as much about Vancouver since their games are on so damn late here. Koffie / Mattocks seems deadly. I expect them to make the playoffs as well.

Toronto... they'll climb out of the bottom, but won't make it near the top. May be able to make a playoff run, but will ultimately fall short. This will be a rebuilding year, and I expect to see them improve as the season progresses. I'm thinking along the lines of Montreal last season, where we really get to see them come together in the end. I agree with you regarding Bekker. He'll be the young Canadian to watch.

10. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How well did FC Edmonton do last season and are they a top team in their league?

11. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They've made quite a few changes for this year, starting with a new Manager(former Whitecaps Asst Colin Miller) and GM, and a lot of new players. Irishmen Albert Watson(D) was just named captain and on the stadium front they are finally starting to install the 3000 extra seats for Clarke Stadium that will be done by April 15th and make it look more professional with seats on either side of the field and one end as well. Capacity will be 5000 with standing room(4200 seats), up from the 1200 seats it had. Game day atmosphere should be much better this year.

13. Copes

Copes Member

Aug 30, 2012
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Big day yesterday for Canadian MLS squads. All three came away with the W, something I believe to be a first. Montreal continues to impress me. It's early, but if they keep up their defensive play I think they'll be a real power-house this year. Vancouver looked solid as well.

Toronto though... Toronto is yesterday's story line. Big win from the Reds, and one that I was thrilled to watch unfold. Good on 'em. They actually looked like a competitive team! And to beat SKC, who I consider to be #2 in the East... that's a major win. My hats are off to them. They looked solid. They have looked good in both games now. I think its time to admit that TFC is not the pile-of-garbage that they were last year. Could make an interesting run at the playoffs this year, and I will certainly be tuning in!

14. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Earnshaw will definately help TFC and I really like him as a player. If Nelson can get them playing consistently as a cohesive unit and they're in good shape to go the full 90 minutes then they will not finish on the bottom again, but they still may not make the playoffs.

15. Copes

Copes Member

Aug 30, 2012
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think they'll finish in the 5, but I don't think they'll be out of the race with two months left either.

16. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Great weekend for all three Canadian clubs. Glad to see TFC fans show great reception to Bekker and Osorio. Hope Welshman gets on the pitch soon.

17. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere, but come March 16, if TFC were to beat Montreal, and other results fall in line, there could be an moment where All 3 Canadian Teams would top the league in Divisional/Overall Standings!!

Certainly a first in the history of MLS / NASL / North American Soccer for the matter?

18. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Anyone go to the Montreal vs Toronto game? Read it might of been the game of the week in MLS on ppls opinion.

19. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With Nesta being injured, Karl Ouimette started at CB and played a full 90+ minutes.

While the NY attack lacked Henry and Cahill, and Karl started off with a few jitters, his performance was ultimately very positive.

As a 100% Quebecois raised and trained prospect, its a great step forward.

He's only 20, and with mentors like Nesta and Ferrari, he has every opportunity to rise to his potential.

20. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    All the best to Montreal Impact on the quest for the Supporters' Shield!!

21. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC had a draw with FC Dallas and a little bit disappointed to not seeing Bekker and Welshman play a bit more but at least Osorio is playing. Montreal has played Ouimette and Vancoucer well have they played any Canucks yet? Would like to see our Canuck teams play more Canucks players or give them more pt. Polygong could you sticky this?

Okay - Poly

22. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Vancouver had a draw with San Jose as well in a game that had a wild finnish with some good physical play and action around the Whitecaps net.

23. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ouimette started this past weekend when Ferrari dropped out at the last minute, and Maxime Tissot was added to the bench( I wonder if the 19th player is always on standby).

Tissot actually came on late in the game and did decently.

24. Copes

Copes Member

Aug 30, 2012
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Happy with how Ouimette has been playing. He's having a dream first couple years playing as a pro, considering his teammates and who he is able to learn from. He's a strong player. I suspect he will have an opportunity in the future with our national team. Given the trials of various youth during the friendlies lately, it wouldn't surprise me if he got a call up over the next year to give it a whirl.

Montreal had a rough game on the weekend. Really should have been a win, as far as I'm concerned, what with Di Vaio's lost "off-side" goal. Toronto also is looking very good. Despite 3 ties and no wins, they very easily could have stolen any of them. I haven't been watching Vancouver as much as I'd like to.

Watching some other Eastern Conference teams (particularly SKC) I think Montreal will have their work cut out for them in regards to maintaining that top spot. That being said, they look very strong. They play a different style of soccer. It's more defensive. It focuses on the counter attack. I find them very interesting to watch playing this way in this league, and I think that we'll see them in the playoffs if they continue down the path they've been traveling. Two months in, they really do look really good!

In other news, I'm traveling to Toronto next week to watch the first leg of the Amway Canadian Championship (and visit my parents I guess). Can't wait to see a live game, especially considering it's between my two favorite teams. I wonder if it's going to be odd when I stroll into the Toronto FC stadium store in my Montreal jersey, and purchase a Toronto FC jersey. :laugh:

EDIT: Speaking of which, can someone start a thread for the Canadian Championship? Maybe it will be started elsewhere, but I would think it would be appropriate for the Canada section. For some reason I can't start threads in this forum.

25. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal Impact are doing well and tied first I believe in the MLS east division. Toronto fell once again and it was a bad way to lose. Vancouver I'm not sure how they did... I hope Montreal can keep it going and make the playoff. I wonder if all three can make the playoff this year but in all I think Montreal is the most likely.