MLS CANADA and Other Clubs

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scorpion26, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This for our clubs in the MLS, USLPro, and NASL. I really know mainly about the clubs in MLS and be great to have a topic based on Canadian clubs. I also know there is FC Edmonton and I'm not to familiar with that club.

First thing for me is that MLS needs to change the rule about our players being international spots at the American clubs. Its unfair and does not allow our players being able to play with more MLS clubs because they take those spot which many clubs want to use on SA, Euro, African, and others.

Also would like to see more Canadians in our clubs and bring some pride into that fact. I'm not pushing to have a starting eleven full of Canadians but to have at least 5-6 Canadian players or more and at least 3-4 starters. The clubs will have more in the future through the academies but come on they should of at least brought in more Canadian players. Just got to be patient I guess.

2. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Forget to mention that a few Canadians are in trial with the Vancouver Whitecaps and let's hope they all make it into this team.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. American teams can't favor Canadians over any other nationality because that would violate USA law and would open the league for lawsuits.

Edmonton has many Canadian players, maybe you should look into them.

Ottawa will join NASL in 2014, so more opportunities for Canadian players there.

4. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well would make sense to allow Canadian players to not count against the international spot. Since there are three clubs from Canada and the Americans do not count for an international spot . Fairer if it was allowed just my thoughts.

5. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    D3 USL Pro is not sanctioned by the CSA so there are no teams in Canada from that league. There will be a new Canadian D3 Professional league that will be created in the future for Division 3 soccer in Canada.

Good thread though for MLS and D2 NASL Canadian teams. Hope Hamilton and Calgary get expansion teams in NASL as well.

6. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What about the Ottawa expansion?

7. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Already a done deal, they are entering the NASL in 2014. They should have a coach hired by end of March and also will announce the name soon.

8. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What ambitions does the owner/s of Ottawa have? Do they want to get into MLS?

9. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I haven't heard anything about MLS from them, down the road 5-10 years who knows, guess it depends on where the MLS and NASL will be as league's at that point.

I think there's quite a few US cities that would get consideration before Ottawa though.

10. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    No more teams in MLS for us!At this point it is better for us to start our own first division league than to go into MLS...

11. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I doubt it happens. Would be great but I really don't see it and it seems CSA are fine with how things are in MLS . Although you never know what could happen in the future.

12. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Start with our own D3 country wide system, if enough of those clubs grow big enough then we could think about our own D2 league. It would be decades before we're ready for our own D1, though that would be fantastic.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  13. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed and that's why will focus on making D3 set up work really really really really really great for years before having our top D1 league. Any pre-season news from the MLS clubs?

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I agree that it would be nice, but it would also be Illegal in the USA.

Now Canadian players count as local if they play for Canadian teams I think, but I could be wrong.

15. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Preaseason note- Montreal won 2-1 over SKC

16. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    It wasn't that way in the old NASL.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there were no International player restriction in the old NASL.

18. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC lost to Columbus.... 0-1 in preseason.

19. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I'm trying to find the rule because American and Canadian players counted as domestic. Kind of like what many Canadian fans want now in the MLS.

20. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Which would make sense to have and because both countries are going to share the league.
    Also Montreal won

21. Copes

Copes Member

Aug 30, 2012
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal is looking fantastic in the pre-season. As I said in the Montreal section, when you look at the two groups, Montreal has the tougher competition. If they can fare well in the group stage, I think we have a shot at winning the whole tournament.

I wasn't surprised Toronto lost to Columbus. If they can beat Philly though, I'll feel good about their pre-season as well. I think they can do it.

22. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC wooped Division 3 USL Pro's Orlando 3-0, its a start.

23. Copes

Copes Member

Aug 30, 2012
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, TFC continues to disappoint. I thought they'd be able to hold close to Philly, but it wasn't the case. I recognize that they were missing some key people, but unfortunately that was enough to render them half useless. TFC just doesn't have depth. After a very attention-worthy off-season, I had hoped to see a somewhat new TFC. I am not convinced that I will see one. It seems like more of the same. Hopefully there is still time for some improvement before the beginning of March. Or maybe I'm being too hard on them.

I'm very optimistic about Montreal's season though. Undefeated so far in the pre-season. Columbus... after the playoff race last year, I despise Columbus. I consider them more of an arch-nemesis for Montreal then I do TFC. I can't wait to see the two battle for the Tournament championship next weekend. I wold have liked to see a Montreal victory against DC, but a tie got us where we needed to go, and is a good result against a very strong team. I think Montreal is riding some momentum, and if they can win next week, that's going to be a very forceful wave to ride into the season. Can't wait.

24. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wouldn't put too much stock into the results of pre-season games. They're not playing to win, it's more time to experiment with tactics, lineups trialists etc.

That's not to say that TFC is going to be great or that Impact hasn't improved, it's just that the first few pre-season games are rarely representative of how a team fares in the actual season.

25. Copes

Copes Member

Aug 30, 2012
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh, I don't disagree. I actually very much hope that this is not how the season plays out. While I consider myself an Impact fan, I've stated before I'm really just a fan of Canadian soccer in general. I'd love to see TFC have significant improvement this year. I really, truly am hoping for it. I haven't ruled it out yet either.