Alert: MLS Buys Chivas USA

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by profiled, Feb 20, 2014.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know I don't believe him. Kind of sounds like a lawyer at times. Love when he uses the phrase, "Its a challenge"! :)

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hauptman's father-in-law is Charles Bronfman, former owner of Seagram and original owner of the Montreal Expos.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be awesome if Carlos Slim bought Chivas USA.

edwardgr repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think the family is valued over a billion, but I'm not sure what he is worth.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought he didn't want it?

6. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he wanted Guadalajara. It's rumored that one of the big sticking points of his offer to buy it was that he didn't want to buy Chivas USA.

7. LAGalaxyfan1981

Nov 14, 2007
    Simi Valley
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would that be just the stadium itself or the whole thing (stadium, parking lots, etc.).

8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Stadium and concourse but not parking.

9. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Slim was close to buying guadalajara but the deal fell through because he didn't want chivas usa included in the deal. So I don't think Skim will be a buyer any time soon.

10. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not directly on topic, but it'll be interesting to see if Slim restarts negotiation with Vergara over Guad. Now that one problematic factor is gone perhaps the sale will go through?

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There was also another factor. At the time that Slim was looking into Guadalajara, LigaMX passed a rule against multi-team ownership.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...it-the-ownership-of-more-than-one-club-052113

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought the multi team rule applied to MX teams only?

Anyway, I'm still wondering who Garber has lined up to buy Chivas ? I'm sure it has to be a pretty big name but there doesn't seem to be a clue of who it might be just yet.....

13. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And like Precourt and Mansour this is isn't the type of thing that leaks.

Unless that start talking property and real estate, which involves more people, we are not going to hear anything about new ownership until they want us to.

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The rule does only apply to LigaMX teams. The post was in response to the contention that including Chivas USA in the Guadalajara sale was the primary factor that led to that sale not happening. The Liga MX rule was also a big factor.

No bearing on the current Chivas USA sale.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore, the chances of him buying the club are VERY SLIM!

Too bad because I would have loved seeing Sofia Loren at Stub Hub...

....even at 80 years of age! :)

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then they let TVAzteca buy Atlas.

The FMF is so full of shit. But they do know how to make tons of money from the Mexico National team, I do give them that.

The truth is that they (TV networks) do not want Slim coming in and fvking up their soccer duopoly, they are not really serious about multi ownership.

17. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Good stuff.

The original point stands, though, Slim didn't back out of the deal because he didn't like CUSA being bundled with CDG.

18. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    While that rule was passed I don't think it was a determining factor. As we all know Mexican soccer rules are made to be bent or broken. Slim would have figured a way around it just like TV Azteca did a few months ago when they acquired Atlas which brings then to 2 teams in the league, Atlas and Morelia.

Rumors are still going around that Slim has some sort of deal made already with Vergara for Chivas, specially now that a new telecommunications law was passed against Televisa and TV Azteca dualopoly. Slim is set to start his own TV station to directly compete with the duo and chivas would be a great asset for his new station.

19. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Does Chivas USA have a new owner(s) in place? And will we hear about the new owner in just a few months?
    Guadalajara-based journalist San Cadilla reported in his column on Thursday that the sale of Chivas USA is already complete, and it will be announced following the World Cup

http://www.thegoatparade.com/2014/4...nounced-after-world-cup-san-cadilla-la-aztecs

According to the report, the owners will be an unnamed Mexican businessman based in California and a "wealthy American executive." Additionally, the new owners will look at possibly rebranding Chivas USA to the LA Aztecs, something that has been a persistent topic among observers, though some fans of the club bristle at that name

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Certainly the Mexican businessman based in California has a name.

But it would be incredibly cool if he didn't.

Inca Roads, jayd8888, SixKick and 3 others repped this.
  21. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    On the Chivas USA boards it's being discussed that "LA Aztecs" was trademarked by the nasl a couple of years ago....

22. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right now this is pretty much all everyone over on the Chivas board knows. I'm sure there are a few guys more in the know, but they have, so far, remained tight-lipped.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore, for those of us who wanted the LA Aztecs initally, we weren't all that far off base.

If there is a major problem with the name, couldn't the new owners just buy the name and logo from the NASL? I mean how much could it really cost and why wouldn't NALS want to sell it? I'm sure everyone has their price.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're basing that on a rumor?

Who owns the LA Aztecs marks again?

harrylee773 and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  25. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    That's so awesome! It would change with what he was doing, at one point he would be 'man driving kids to school' but then later he would be 'guy across the street doing yardwork.'