Alert: MLS Buys Chivas USA

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by profiled, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you believe the Don (and we don't) MLS in total is a sink hole that burns money at a rate of 75-100 million per year.

Well at least that is the story when the player union comes asking around.

Zoidberg, jayd8888, Revolt and 1 other person repped this.
  2. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i have to disagree with this. there are loads of people who will know the number. contract lawyers, paralegals, secretaries, accountants, and probably a respectable list of other ancillary staff for each vested party.

you also have who knows how many (honestly no idea) people that those who actually know the number, may have mentioned it to at the water cooler. i include the water cooler crowd because they are getting first hand information from people they can judge to be reliable.

deals in the 70-100m range may be kept quiet in the public eye, but the information usually flows pretty freely internally if anyone is interested. chances are those who the number was known too, it wasn't an overly exciting number as they will be exposed to big money deal on at least a semi regular basis, but if they are a soccer fan, or maybe their nephew is, then maybe they make note of that number and pass it on to someone.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, no matter how nice the neighborhood is, you're still not getting the highest possible price for a house with foundation problems.

Bill Archer, Fanatical Monk and holiday repped this.
  4. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I wonder if MLS wouldn't be better off in the long run to relocate CUSA to another city, and come back in 3-5 years when a stadium is done for just this reason.

CUSA might be worth 70M in LA or San Antoniapolis today...it probably doesn't matter where. But with a fresh start after a short time, maybe LA2 is worth 100M+.

5. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend talked to this guy at a bar that said it was $70million ;)

Zoidberg repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Which is not the truth.
    I hope he got a free drink out it! :)

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS is more concerned about rising the profile of a 2nd team in the LA market than waiting til the franchise value goes up to sell for profit.

So no, MLS will sell ASAP to the best available buyer/operator and who has the best plans to make it successful.

tab5g, CTS26 and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  8. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    People give financial details as necessary as requested by other stakeholders. Sports teams typically demand certain subsidies, which means public request pf their financial records is legitimate. If they want free money, that should be one of the requirements. In MLS's case, as the league is single entity, if one team is getting a subsidy, all teams are getting a subsidy, and therefore all teams and the league should be fair game.

I'm not saying they are required by law to do this. I'm just saying the public should be less of suckers in this relationship.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sure they have potential ownership groups waiting in line but I really wonder who it is?

10. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure we will find out soon enough. Tons and tons of millionaires in Southern California.

"When it comes to the sheer total of millionaire households in each state, California has the most, with 777,624 millionaire households."
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money.../19/cnbc-top-states-for-millionaires/4585285/

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    In a market like LA (specifically because a new venue will be "needed"), MLS doesn't want to do single-entity business with millionaire owners, they what "1000 times over" millionaires.

12. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, but half of those guys are too busy saving America from becoming just like the Nazis.

13. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    yeah, billionaires are the new millionaires. inflation's a bitch.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Only half?

LA2 should look to sign some of these guys with their 3 DP slots (or perhaps just club ambassador roles).

[​IMG]

Sachsen, JasonMa and SoccerPrime repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There are even more in Northern California too but for some reason, the eeks (at Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Netflix, Apple, Ebay, HP and YouTube to name a few) all hate soccer! :)

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pelé Corporal Luis Fernandez
    Bobby Moore Terry Brady
    John Wark Arthur Hayes
    Osvaldo Ardiles Carlos Rey
    Kazimierz Deyna Paul Wolchek
    Søren Lindsted Erik Ball
    Paul Van Himst Michel Fileu
    Werner Roth Baumann (German Team Captain)
    Mike Summerbee Sid Buzzer Harmor
    Hallvar Thoresen Gunnar Hilsson
    Russell Osman Doug Clure
    Kevin O'Callaghan Tony Lewis
    Co Prins Pieter Van Beck
    Laurie Sivell Schmidt (German Goalkeeper)
    Robin Turner German Player
    Kevin Beattie Stand-in for Michael Caine
    Paul Cooper Stand-in for Sylvester Stallone

17. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there that many billionaires in MLS ownership? I know Joe Roth doesn't hit that mark.
    For what it's worth Wiki says there are 86 billionaires in California.

18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anschutz, Kroenke, Fisher, Kraft, Allen, Patterson. Joey Saputo might not be, but his father is.

fuzzx, falvo and tab5g repped this.
  19. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    don't forget Dietrich Mateschitz and Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan. and apparently Marcelo Claure is one, or is very close.

tab5g repped this.
  20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Not sure of the asset worth of DC United's Indonesian operator, but he's got enough to also effectively own Inter Milan.

I do know that David Beckham and Steve Nash each have billion-dollar smiles.

scott47a repped this.
  21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I believe Hansen is in the billionaire group too.

MLSE is in the upper echelon with Bell and Rogers both involved.

tab5g repped this.
  22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The presumption has always been that he is, but I don't actually believe that claim has been backed up by anything but reputation.

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I think he certainly fits in the inheritance category, as his pops is a very rich man/billionaire, afaik.

24. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really consider Allen an owner in the truest sense. He pitches in by making his front office organization for the Seahawks also be the organization for the Sounders, but I don't get the sense he has any activity at all in the day-to-day sense, nor cares all that much.
    Isn't Hauptman married into a billionaire family, like Kroenke?

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though Kroenke is at least a many-millionaire, if not a billionaire, based on his own assets. Sure, he's not Walton rich, but I think he would be rich enough to be in MLS without the connection to the Waltons.