MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 8

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Apr 29, 2012.

1. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18,219 in Salt Lake

lkgf09 repped this.
  2. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Those 27K Galaxy fans definitely deserved a better performance.

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Galaxy attendance mean average after 6 games:

2009: 19,228
    2010: 19,652
    2011: 22,823
    2012: 23,197

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle drew over 77,000 fans this week.

By themselves.

Amazing.

soundersriot repped this.
  5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto and Vancouver both extended their sub 20,000 attendance streak - both each at four games. Though I suspect the Vancouver fans will start responding to this year's Whitecaps outfit. There is a lot to like on that team.

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20,438 in Portland

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2004, Kansas City managed to draw over 20,000 fans five times, but still averaged under 15,000 for the year.

SKS has drawn over 20,000 fans twice already this year. I doubt they will draw under 15,000 fans for any game this season.

8. Amores Perros

Amores Perros Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Kuala Lumpur
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had available seats in Vancouver? At least on the highlights it looked packed.

9. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next home game we will see the faces of true fans, tho last nigh they were pretty upset with the lost ..

10. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    just a bit of added perspective on how pathetic the Revs attendance is this season ...

NE Revolution:
    GP: 3
    Total Att: 29,463
    Avg Att: 9,821

SA Scorpions:
    GP: 3
    Total Att: 32,801
    Avg Att: 10,934

11. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Revolution started slowly last year and then improved. If their average is still at this level at the end of the year, then you can feel more comfortable declaring the sky is falling. Three games does not a season make.

12. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Toronto is in real trouble right now. I personally have decided to only go to Voyageurs Cup and CCL matches for the rest of the year. I'd rather spend my money on the National Team, and I am a big fan of the team. Honestly, this team is clearly incapable of winning.

We will keep seeing inflated numbers, but honestly noone wants to go to TFC games right now. There were probably 11K in the stadium yesterday.

Let's go Whitecaps.

13. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good friend of mine is a defender down there, played USL-Pro last year. He says the difference between the two leagues in terms of professionalism, facilities, etc. is night and day. San Antonio is running a class organization so far down there. I believe they have roughly 6k season tickets.

14. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

to be fair i think there are a few USLPro teams that are at the same level and simply aren't in NASL/D2 solely because of political schims reasons. Orlando City SC and Rochester Rhinos are also top notch lower division clubs and would be the equal of any NASL team both on and off the pitch (and i don't say this just because i am a OCSC season ticket holder, not that i go since i live 2.5 hours away). Even the Charleston Battery is probably in the "good enough for D2" category.

i am still skeptical of the "soccer for a cause" concept ... lower division soccer is not a profit making endeavour for the most part and it can hardly be used to support a "charity" disabled amusement park. but the team and the fan support are very good so far.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn.

We used to get the same posts 10 years ago, telling us how Rochester, NY -- a.k.a. Soccertown USA -- was outdrawing the Wizards and wondering why MLS was so foolish as to have a team in Kansas City instead of a sure thing like Rochester.

edwardgr repped this.
  16. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. There's no reason for OCSC, Rochester and Charleston to be in the third division...but it is what it is.

17. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

uh. yeah. but it isn't 10 years ago and it is all the more embarrasing that in today's MLS a team is being outdrawn by a D2 team.

i am not advocating that San Antonio be in MLS, i am just mocking how far the Revs under Kraft have fallen.

now i doubt they will end the season drawing less fans than SA ... but it will be closer than it should be and it should send a loud and clear message to MLS HQ that the Krafts are killing domestic pro soccer in New England and probably poisoning the fan base for the future.

18. Padrino86

Padrino86 Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams do not always make available the full capacity (Seattle, DC, NE) so I doubt they have sold 50K tickets, but I do not really know.

20. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to imply that they've sold 48k so far.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "he Impact established an attendance record in Montreal for a professional soccer game in its home opener against the Chicago Fire, March 17, with 58,912 spectators.
    With the same concerns, management recommends that those attending Saturday’s game arrive at least an hour before start time, in order to avoid missing the beginning of the game. Please note that stadium doors open at 2pm ET."

You are right, shit, Beckham effect?

22. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Now the question is will Beckham play?

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

Seriously, why should it be any more embarrassing that well-run D2 with a grand total of three home games under its belt is having more success drawing fans than an MLS team with 17-year history of... well, I'll be kind and simply say "a dogged apathy toward the concept of customer service"?

Setting aside the fact that the ditches are littered with all sort of teams in niche sports who drew well out of the gate only to end up with a certain ignominious fate -- the euphemistic "suspended operations," I'm not entirely clear why the Revs should be any more "embarrassed" now than they were before the season or more "embarrassed" than the Wizards were 10 years ago. They do what they do and they get what they get as a result. If they don't like what they get, they'll hopefully do something different. It's business.

"Killing domestic pro soccer in New England"? "Poisoning the fan base for the future"?

Way to amp up the gratuitous melodrama.

24. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I assume the owner is taking a salary out of the non-profit. One report I read indicated a goal of MLShood. If so -- he may be looking to make his money from an MLS ownership stake (SUM, etc.) and not out of his Operator stake except for his salary.

25. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    A couple of months ago the Scorpions reported having 600k in sponsorships this year as well. They very well could be profitable.