MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 32

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Okay. So are we all going to agree to go with the Sounders match report (and the MLS summary report) over the mlssoccer.com match reports? I am fine either way I just want to make sure I keep my numbers on the same page as everybody else.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck.

I have reconciled probably 97% of the discrepancies I have had with MLS' data over the years, but some of their numbers have changed over time (for no reason). I've got most of it licked, but some stuff still makes no sense. And I've even pointed out to them at least one instance where they had all the right numbers, yet the wrong team total. They kinda said, "Look, a squirrel!" and let it be.

We have a responsibility to be accurate only insofar as it reasonably affects the conclusions we can draw. As someone who likes to have everything 100% right, it's tough for me, but then sometimes I just say, "******** it, it's MLS" and let it be.

Almost all of my numbers match theirs and someday I'll sit down and make a list of the ones that don't and send it to them and they'll ignore it. So, at the end of the day, do whatever you like. Because when you think you've got it sorted, in four years their numbers will change for no reason.

jayd8888 and edwardgr repped this.
  4. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so that's a "we're going with the Seattle game reports numbers" then? ;)

i am fine with going with those higher Seattle numbers ... i am still looking for the source of the higher Hou v Tfc number or are we deciding to go with the number on the mlssoccer.com game report that I linked to?

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

thanks.

so, just to be sure ... we are going with the higher team game report numbers for all three of these SSFC and HOU games, the ones that match the MLS final numbers but do not match the mlssoccer.com game report numbers.

what is weird is it isn't like the mlssoccer.com game recap/stats numbers are just some obvious typo of the team's recap numbers ... they are just totally different numbers in all 3 cases. totally bizarre.

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're turning into that Verizon Wireless "charts" commercial. o_O

This is clearly a quantum leap. But how do you hold onto that kind of growth?

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a ceiling, I think. Some of it is math, obviously - the pipe dream that MLS would one day average 25k when most of its stadiums will be smaller than that - and we're closer to it than some think.

But, holy cow, boys and girls...we have a D1 men's outdoor soccer league that averages almost 19k a game, has several teams averaging 20k, has almost every team in its own stadium, has had nearly every one of its expansion teams be successful, is on TV a lot and (and this is the most important part) isn't going away. How cool is that? Eleven years ago, we almost didn't have a league anymore.

TomEaton, CHHSfan, Allez RSL and 10 others repped this.
  9. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the stadiums are capable of adding at least 5k seats without having major renovation. Even Red Bull and Compass might be able to change seating configuration to add a few more thousand seats.

10. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    damn this thread moves fast...

I posted the theoretical max as a FYI only. Though I think we'll get close.

If the latter half of this season was not a fluke, then the 15 games at Saputo next year should average above 19,000 (out of 20,341) and the opening Olympic Stadium game should get above 50,000.

The success of the other big game depends on the opponent and how good a job the FO does marketing it.

50k for both plus 19000 average at Saputo comes out to 22,647 average. This number should be easily surpassed and is a very conservative estimate.

7 sellouts, plus 8 games averaging 19,000 and big games of 55,000 seems more realistic to me(based on late season performance and current media buzz, for what its worth), that comes out to 23,787 which is a 3.5% increase.

But Montrealers are aggressive band-wagoners, with little local competition a successful run and its resulting media spotlight could easily approach the max capacity.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not as easy as you think. And, even having said that, just because it might be possible to physically do, that doesn't mean it's a given they would. It would be an expensive proposition, and just because Houston is filling their yard now doesn't necessarily mean they will still be in five years.

There's something to be said for the converse of what MLS had when it had 7,000 crowds rattling around in NFL stadiums.

12. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blue Line to the Artesia Station, then Bus 130 to CSUDH. Plus there are many other bus routes that go by there. So no, there is public transportation, although there probably should be a Rapid route or two...

That's the problem, you live out in the sticks. Move closer to civilization and getting to Carson would be a lot easier.

Funny thing; I used to commute taking the Red & Blue Line trains and always used to see people wearing Kings or Clippers gear on their respective game nights. Never saw a single Laker jersey on the train for their games, however...

13. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [​IMG]

Where would they put their laker flags on the train?

14. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal had a lot of marginal numbers this year. Remember the midweek games drawing 13K? Also, they're not gonna get the expansion bump. The Chicago game got 60K due to it being the first game. That's not gonna be an option next year.

I think your theory only really works if Montreal is in playoff contention. That may or may not happen. And I still think they draw 14K on Saint Jean Baptiste.

15. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's the thing, all the low attendance games were in one stretch. As of mid-july when the cheap ticket packages were announced and Nesta was signed, every single game has been near or actual sellouts (remember that some seats remained under construction in july/august, so "sellout" was not 20,341).

The question is, are these crowds as a result of the cheap tickets? the "big name" signing? or something more organic?

After a month of no home games, out of playoff contention and unremarkable opponents, the last game drew 19,998. This specifically gives me great hope for next year.

The big home opener next year is rumored to be vs Toronto and will have a good 2 months of hype behind it. While i'm not saying it'll sellout, My feel of the market suggests crowds will be good.

For example season ticket sales have gone up since 8,500 was announced early this year, since the team twitter account RT's any new tweet on the subject. Hopefully we'll have something more concrete before next season starts.

16. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I look forward to understanding Montreal attendance a little better with a couple more seasons of data.

Jasonma repped this.
  17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think they are hoping to replace that 60k with the TFC home opener. If TFC can achieve their goal of bringing 10k to the match that should help. I bet the other Big Owe match is either LAG or an Allouette style last game of season push for the playoffs type thing.

Hopefully with a bit of knowledge and the pressure of stadium construction/shifting out of the way the schedule maker can have them on the road for the 10 days effected by the combo of JB Day and Canada Day. If they can't eliminate them.....at least limit them to something less than the 3 they had this year.

18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [quote="fuzzx, post: 26693799, member: 200651]

The big home opener next year is rumored to be vs Toronto and will have a good 2 months of hype behind it. While i'm not saying it'll sellout, My feel of the market suggests crowds will be good.
    [/quote]
    More than a rumour......Renewing TFC season ticket holders have been promised a ticket for the match (one ticket per ticket renewed).

19. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Connection died last night so no post. I wanted to go back and reconcile my numbers to what Kenn posted earlier as well. Optimistic for tonight but it is Halloween so we will see.

20. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To answer some of the Seattle difference, or perhaps make it as clear as mud, here is an email exchange I had on 3/28 with SSFC.

I take this to mean that what was given to MLS for press release meaning the 38709 number is what was accurate, I was also at that match and recalled when sending this message that the MLS attendance matched what was announced in stadium. Why they (SSFC) have not corrected the page is beyond me. I will per my standard stick to the MLS press release

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle invented discrepancies.

If you use 39,232, your numbers agree with MLS' final totals. But if you use 38,709, they don't.

Oy.

22. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh so the final totals for MLS don't match the sum of their reports, I had not done that cross comparison. Okay I will update all my numbers to use 39232, apparently I am slow on the uptake this morning :p.

23. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, the Galaxy moved, not me! Getting to Carson easier is not my highest priority.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as increasing the average attendance in future years is concerned, it's a good sign that the four lowest teams all have stadium issues:
    One already has a solution (shovels in the ground now), and any of the other three could have one soon...

BSGuy321 repped this.
  25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my god. chicago couldnt even sell out or even get close to selling out their playoff game.

god we have so far to go. half empty stadium.

cloak repped this.