MLS Attendance Analysis: Week 32

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Oct 25, 2012.

1. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    and that sell-out makes the league average over 18,800 ... 18,801 to be exact ...

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    This is four straight sellouts to close the season for the Galaxy I believe. Not bad.

3. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 million fans 18,800 average attendance.

good stuff. next is getting 2 more soccer specific stadiums done in Boston and DC.

Then getting NY2.

Then getting attendances up in all other cities.

Once we do that we can start thinking about averaging 20k plus as a league.

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are quite a few teams that could improve attendance next season, but I'd expect next season to be within a hundred or two average of this year because other teams will drop slightly too. Unless Seattle opens up the full stadium for a lot more or fewer games as that could change things. I think I read that Montreal will have a similar number of Olympic Stadium games next year. Any other major changes I'm forgetting for next year?
    I suppose there may be more midweek games due to all the FIFA qualifying dates so that could hurt attendance.

5. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal will, for sure, be opening their season in the Big Owe for, at least, their home match against TFC. TFC have made a deal with them and are providing all renewing season ticket holders 1 free ticket for every ticket in their account at BMO. My rep tells me they "hope" they will be able to take 10k to that match.

6. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can SKC continue to average almost 1K above capacity? I don't know. If we continue to have a team in the hunt for silverware, maybe.

7. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully starting in 2015 the Galaxy will play at least 3-4 big games at Farmers Field.

8. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15,672 in Columbus (plus a pair of beautiful......goals :whistling:)
    15,454 in Commerce City
    20,507 in Sandy
    20,438 in Portland
    20,017 in Bridgeview

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Farmers Field is a pipe dream and what is a "big game"? I don't think L.A. gets higher attendances based on the opponent like a Seattle would for Portland.

10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Before they move to Farmers, LAG will trade Beckham so that they too can experience the Beckham effect and have a single game boost in attendance once a year ;)

11. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing a story that said the NFL has shut down talk of a new LA team for 2013. It won't happen anytime soon for sure.

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I would say it was a pretty good year. That 20k target would be great, but is going to be hard to achieve. Assuming Chivas grows to full HDC capacity and with SJ new spot, the MOST we could average is 21900 or so (barring any special venues or expanded capacities.) So I agree with you in that 20k would be a GREAT league wide average in a few years.

13. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The framework to build it is in place, and AEG is paying for it so money isn't the issue. The problem is that the permits are conditional on actually getting a team. It's still possible a team could move, though with ownership and stadium issues getting resolved, the only real candidate for moving is the Chargers.

14. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A downtown stadium would draw 40k no matter who the opponent.

Big games would be NY, 4th of July, SJ.

The NFL can't talk to AEG until January 1st. There's a lot of talk that there will be another football team wearing blue, white and gold in LA next year.

15. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    The future attendance growth really relies with the original teams(dallas, clb, dc, NE,chi) and of course chivas. Getting them to move into the 18-19k range would be the best way to move the average as many other teams already play at capacity or close to it every game.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One way to look at it is this. There are 19 teams, and the league needs to add 1200 per match. 19*1200=22,800. So if 9 teams stay the same and 10 teams add 2280 each, that'll get MLS to 20K. That gives you an idea of how tough it will be, without KC and Portland and Seattle permanently expanding capacity and selling those seats.

You can play around with the numbers in different ways, but you get the idea.

A realistic, achievable goal for 2013 will be 19,000. If SJ's stadium is open in 2014, we can revisit this.

17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe it is all the low pressure from all of these systems around here today but I am not following your math....if, on average, you need to add 1,200 a game to get to 20k...how do you get there by only 10 teams actually doing it?

by my count, 10 teams adding 22,800 to their season totals would bring the league average to 19,507.

But, as I said, late in a work day with lots of low pressure around!

18. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    If hitting 20k plus is really the goal, it'd be better for NE to stay in Foxborough and for the FO to stop dicking around. That way, if they could pepper in some 25,000+ attendances with some "poor" games at around 15,000, they could average 20,000 without having to build a new home.

If they're in a SSS capped around 20,000, one or two "poor" attendance games would screw up the whole average. New, smaller SSSes aren't really helpful in chasing the average attendance record.

superdave repped this.
  19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Complete and utter bullshit. The Galaxy have no real presence in the city. The attendance isn't limited by ability to get to the HDC. It's limited by the number of people who care.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 teams add nothing. 10 teams add 2280 each.

21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    sure...but that math brings me to 19.5k....(previous disclaimer re my mental state stands).

22. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true, at Farmers field LA would be able to get 40-50k a game no problem because it would be right next to LA Live, walk ups would be in the thousands...and for games like NY or even Seattle i would expect sell outs. IT's LA after all! tons of sport fans!

23. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They definitely finished on a high note. Saturday's attendance bumps LA above Montreal for average attendance for the year and preserves their long run at #1 or #2 in the attendance standings, which goes back to 2002. (Actually, 2001 is the only year LA's attendance has ever been lower than second in the rankings; they came in third behind DC and NY!).

24. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for San Jose, where the alternative is even smaller (10,000 or so). I think there new stadium is planned to be 18,000 capacity.

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah but will San Jose have those outlier "big" games of 40k+ that they had this year, and how much of a real bump will you see?