MLS Attendance Analysis:Week 12

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, May 31, 2012.

1. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium? Absolutely, been working for a decade on that, it is well documented.

Rebrand? Not at all, our name, colors and crest are fine. We have support, the stadium has been an albatross. Solve that and would see a renaissance.

2. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never implied a name change..

3. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said...

"Reinvent themselves the way SKC did"

So, what does reinvent mean to you? Also, what makes SKC different from, say, Houston? Houston got a stadium, a great one and is exactly what DC United needs. Sporting changed their name, crest, colors and got a shiny new stadium.

Reinvention using SKC as example, to me, implies a lot more than just a stadium to me.

4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Reinventing like SKC would mean completely changing your brand.

VioletCrown and ElJefe repped this.
  5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which I really hope DC and New England never do.

...though New England is overdue for a better logo. And I always resist suggesting any changes, so that tells you how bad I think the NE logo is.

Bajoro repped this.
  6. zarcone9

zarcone9 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    bruccaline
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    Aruba
    DCU needs a stadium , so they can increase revenue. the revs just need to spend on dps and promotion to improve attendance. Gillette is a nice venue.

7. zarcone9

zarcone9 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    bruccaline
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    Aruba
    I dont care that its in foxborough. give the new englanders star power and they'll show up. when new england was competitive, they had better attendance, but the casual fan become a devoted fan over time. Dps needed to create the right atmosphere in gillette.

8. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I hope NE rebrands. I'm originally from New England and supported the Revs for the first few years, but they are an absolute joke now. It would be ideal if Kraft sold them to someone who cares, and they then completely rebranded to get rid of the Kraft stank. Personally I think Revolution was a stupid name to begin with, and now it's pretty much a liability on top of that.

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    They had better attendance, but the atmosphere was still horrible. I don't really know what the cut-off point at Gillette is for good atmosphere - 30K maybe? They are too far gone to ever get attendance like that... especially at Gillette, where the attendance woes are self-perpetuating (as the poor atmosphere itself keeps people away).

10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps you didn't mean to but you definitely did imply it given that SKC used to be the Kansas City Wizards. A big part of their revival was the name/uniform etc.... change. Of course the Stadium was the most important, but the new owners and all that they brought were important too.

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Bring in 1 or 2 Brazilian superstars, and you would instantly get 25,000+ a game. The issue would be convincing the massive Brazilian population around Boston to become actual Rev fans (to start wearing blue to games instead of yellow).

12. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    the issues in NE go much deeper than a couple of brazillian DP's. the FO has dug a serious hole for itself. if they completely revamped their approach to fans, specifically their supporters groups, issued strict guidelines to security about treating fans with respect, launched a respectable marketing campaign aimed at the 18-34 crowd, worked with the transportation department to work out a deal to provide public transportation on game days, installed a retractable roof system like http://www.eclipseawning.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/home_cooling_awning2.jpg to cap the lower area, AND got a DP or two, than you'd see 25k again.

the DP's alone wouldn't do it.

13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18.8k in Vancouver last night... not to get off topic or anything. :)

jayd8888 and Shopping Cart Man repped this.
  14. MontrealYul

MontrealYul New Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Pretty good for a Sunday afternoon.

15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not bad compared to new england, columbus and all those other losers.

16. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    about 16,000 tickets sold for the Saputo Stadium opener vs seattle on Saturday.

marketing is just now heating up so I expect more sales, but it's still surprisingly low.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    What's the capacity? It would be baffling if they didn't sell out their home opener.

18. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

19. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Though a 900 seat section(and corresponding roof section) behind one of the nets will not be compete in time for the first game.

20,341- 900=19,441

16,500 sold thus far so we should be fine.

20. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    not exactly confidence inspiring for overall demand though.

21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we've got another sellout this weekend according to the team. 20,039.

22. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SKC will be another sellout as well, at least according to the tickets available on ticketmaster.

23. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    do you mean 22,039?

Soccergodlss repped this.
  24. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah those are the standing room only tickets that they release a few days before the match. The regular 18,4** seats have been sold for quite some time.

I have been told that less than 500 seats remain for every one of the remaining home matches.

In addition, the Cauldron/Members Stand season tickets are already sold out for next season. I had to put my wife on a waiting list as she is not currently a season ticket holder!!!

25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States