MLS Attendance Analysis:Week 12

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, May 31, 2012.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Is the cheapest ticket in RBA more then the Galaxy's $25 general admission?

2. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went back and edited that part. LA/Toronto has us beat.

3. Bradman

Bradman Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    TERRIBLE June weather here in NE. Literally 50s and pouring rain ALL day, not just for a few hours or moderate rain. Considering we had 7K last spring on a perfect Saturday night, 12K this weekend is really a good thing.

We still suck as a professional organization off the field top to bottom and need to be shuttered for the good of the league, but 12K this weekend was a darn good showing.

4. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been waiting for a while for someone to explain what was happening up in NY (and I'm sure I'm not the only one). It's a shame to hear. Hard to grow a ticket base when you're actively breaking down the base. And if he's not making a good dollar of the policy, he'll be out soon enough.

5. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His rationale for raising prices was to increase the number of asses in seats as a % of tickets sold. In Chris Heck's mind, the more expensive the ticket is, the less likely you are to miss the game. That's all well and dandy, but he jacked the prices up on the people who actually show up. I get it, we are paying money for Henry and Marquez. But you don't jack ticket prices up on your most loyal customers AND bring in PSL's in one year. Not in MLS, where people go knowing it is not the best league in the world. Especially not after last years abortion of a season.

If Heck was competent, then he would be concentrating on soccer fans in the NY metro area. He's resorted to promotions for kids 12 & under, a 1 PM start on a freaking Wednesday in the middle of summer (he's branding it as 'Camp Day'...too bad its going up against the effing Yankees camp day too), and trying to court just regular sports fans. So, basically we've reverted back to the marketing policies of the pre-Erik Stover years. Years where our attendance was complete shit.

We as fans were apprehensive when he was signed on. Everyone was especially concerned because of his NBA resume, how poor the NBA is at cultivating a legitimate atmosphere, and how they are famous for squeezing every penny out of fans/pricing them out of the stadium. We've seen everything we feared to see and then some. I don't think any of us were expecting a PSL (member card is a joke, it's the same shit). You have to spend the damn money on the 'member card' in the stadium or you lose it. The team is playing fantastic football and we have our main rivals coming in for the next home match. Yet, instead of promoting the rivalry, he's promiting a free soccer ball for 5,000 kids 12 and under. Complete ********ing idiot.

Mucky and fuzzx repped this.
  6. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Brazil vs Mex right now and seeing so many people showed at game, just how many in the stadium are MLS fans?..;)

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  7. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acyually it's $30 General Admission. I know, Rip Off and probaly the highest in MLS

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I dont think he understands the true use or value of having PSL's. There is a reason why it works well in Football and is limited in the MLB, NBA, and NHL

9. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't understand a lot of things about MLS and New York.

10. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    How do you tap that market is the question. Are they soccer fans or just Mexico "fans" for the event. Many of the Mexican I know personally aren't football fans beyond the nats. I don't know if they are representative at all. My sample size is pretty small.

Fiosfan repped this.
  11. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you can specifically tap that kind of market. Those "fans" don't show up consistently until you've grown your brand to a point where it attracts people that aren't even necessarily interested in soccer. Where you have people show up just to "be seen" or get on tv or that other silly stuff. Dunno how far away the league as a whole is from reaching this status, but one could argue that some of the clubs are approaching that status already.

Of course, there's also the fear that things won't be as pleasant for fans once we reach that status, but that's another story.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Anybody got the attendances for this round of the open cup?

13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas @ Carolina 7,117
    NY @ Harrisburg 1,477
    Philly @ DC 3,276
    Colorado @ Sporting KC 14,868
    Charlotte @ San Antonio 5,112
    Cal FC @ Seattle 3,894
    Minnesota @ SJ 1,548

Still trying to locate attendance for Dayton @ Michigan

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    What's the capacity at Starfire? I seem to recall something like 4,500 there for a game against L.A.

Also, pretty epic @ KC. Is SJ planning to play at a larger venue against Seattle?

15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wiki lists 4500 as the capacity.

16. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    The SJ-Seattle OC game will be at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco. Capacity: 9,044.

17. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14,000 in KC for a USOC round of 16 match. Amazing!

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    If this game was available to season ticket holders then they weren't necessarily all there. Nonetheless, this is why its so good to have season ticket holders - you can even get support for cup matches.

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Seattle would do this.. Want interest in USOC to explode, make the third round ticket part of the season ticket package...

20. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't, might have been 10,000 actually in the stadium. But that beats the heck out of 1,900 at the high school soccer stadium we used to use.

21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree with Greg above (KCFutbol). It was probably more like 10-11,000. Cauldron was certainly full and East and West stands were mostly full in the middle sections, but towards the corners flags on both sides it thinned out a lot. Hard to judge the south stand as the central portion was still torn out after a concert the previous weekend.

More importantly, the pitch didn't get torn up by the concert!!!

22. ken0sha

ken0sha Member

AS Roma and Whitecaps FC
    United States
    Dec 29, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC is just an amazing story. Think about where SKC is now versus just a few years ago without asking yourself what this type of renaissance would mean for teams like NE, DCU and SJ if executed just as well.

23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Believe me, we are still pinching ourselves to make sure it is real!

24. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scary real.

25. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU and Revs need their own home very badly, they need to reinvent themselfs the way SKC did.