MLS Attendance Analysis: Season Finale

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was lifted to 20k...and if they sold the 20k they would open up the stadium to 27k. They worked out that deal with CSDH...they also provided Shuttles, but Galaxy where only able to sell 14.7k tickets due to Weeknight, and little time to sell those tickets..

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In some parts of California that would qualify as a river.

Kappa74 repped this.
  3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know what the deal involves when they expand beyond the cap? Does the college get a certain % of the revenue generated over the cap?

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The only reason for the cap is lack of parking. When AEG can provide shuttles that problem goes away.

5. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Somewhere, somehow, I suspect Smeagol is also involved here.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, that's being kind of harsh on Timber Joey.

bgix and Sounders78 repped this.
  7. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Considering that they have over a week to sell tickets, what can we expect the capacity of CenturyLink to be for the game next sunday? I would hope it would be at least 38,500, if not more.

8. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similar question for DC. Will they open up more than 19k?

Would love to see DC get around 25k and Seattle get 45k. The Seahawks will be on a bye week that week giving all the attention to the Sounders. But the Redskins do play at home that same day which might limit the crowd in DC.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    14035 in New York is fine considering the circumstances. A little surprised that RSL didn't sell out with 19657. I mean they sold out CCL matches against Panamanian teams! But they were very very close to a sellout.

10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    LA announced they're opening up the grassy hill for the game Sunday vs. Seattle, so that usually indicates a 27k+ sellout.

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or the impending assassination of JFK

Mattbro, jvilla07, Golazo and 3 others repped this.
  12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo front office just tweeted that there are fewer than 2,000 tickets left for tomorrow's game with sales "still moving at a brisk pace." Should be a sellout or close to it.

13. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had over 30,000 for last year's final, so it will 27,000+ for tomorrow's game.

Any Seattle fan out there is the whole stadium going to open for next weeks game or is t going to be 38,500 capacity?

14. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As of right now, the standard configuration appears to be open. If they get down to scattered singles and maybe doubles in corner sections, I can see them opening up part of the upper deck (like the MLS Cup 2009 configuration, or the one we had for SKC earlier this year.) Unfortunately, it's unlikely that we will see 60k+ like we did the last time LA came to town (most of the upper-deck tickets for that match were sold as part of a pack with the Cascadia Cup matches.)

If Sunday is a blow-out win for LA, I wouldn't expect any expanded configuration next week.

15. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if you win tomorrow?

Then you guys would be one game away from MLS CUP, would that be enough to open the whole stadium.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to the "grassy knoll," which is what my friends and I call that area of the Home Depot Center.

17. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Who knows? Seattle playoff attendance - beyond the first round anyway - is uncharted territory. *cough*

Edit: After I posted this, I checked ticketbastard - only scattered singles in the lower bowl except in the corners, and three central upper deck sections have been opened on the East side. So, attendance will be >38,500.

Jasonma repped this.
  18. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That bodes well, I would imagine they will open up section by section as it fills up, so hypothetically there are 60k+ tickets "available"

19. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tweeted at DC United and they said that there are no plans to open the upper deck for Sunday.

20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame, I was really hoping they could get in the mid 20's for this game but they must have enough left unsold that they don't feel confident enough to open up a couple of upper sections.

21. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    both games today were sellouts (22,101 in Houston and 27,000 in LA).

ImaPuppy repped this.
  22. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    See what I said earlier about a blow-out. I would expect after tonight's bed-crapping that the secondary market is flooded this week. Expect a few people in the upper deck, and quite a few sold tickets going unused in the lower bowl. Turnstile count will be way below announced attendance.

23. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had hoped so too. Definitely a few thousand seem to be left unsold if you look at the map on ticketmaster. The injuries and yesterday's loss won't help sales.
    I also had hoped they would have opened it up, at least a few sections, but maybe since it's been closed so long there are too many logistics to get he upper deck ready for fans. If we do make the final, I'm sure they'll open it up. It would seem like a no-brainer to me if that happened.

24. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make an excellent point. If you pay to clean up/ open the upper deck, stock the concession stands, and bring in the necessary additional workers, you can't go about damn near giving the tickets away. They have to sell for a decent amount, and with upper deck tickets already not being worth much (not sure exactly what face value would be, maybe someone who knows more about United can give us some insight), it's an unnecessary financial risk that may only amount to a few bodies in the stands.

25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU facebook update:
    "TICKET UPDATE: Due to limited ticket inventory, our discount for groups of 15 or more ends today at 5 PM ET. Great seats are still available but going fast, to order 15+ tickets please call 202-587-5000."

Sounds to me like a game that will definitely sell out by the end of the week, but not one that would have gotten much more than an extra 3-4k in the upper deck. Also, remember DC doesn't own or operate RFK, so any extra tickets revenue doesn't all go to DC. I'm sure someone knows more than me about actual revenue breakdown, but its easy to see why they might not want to open.
    Had we tied or kept it close in Houston there might have been more interest. Or if it had been a rivalry game against a team nearby. Can't imagine more than a couple hundred Houston fans while NY or Philly in this game could have brought a lot more.

Still, a sellout will be good for RFK. I'd love us to get an early game to get the crowd involved.