MLS Attendance Analysis: PreSeason

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Jan 15, 2014.

1. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have the capacity's of all the primary stadiums (not soccer but full stadium) for the league. Are there any noticeable changes for any club?

2. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_stadiums
    For the ones which are not soccer only stadiums, if you click through to the stadiums' pages, the capacity will be listed there.

3. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In terms of changes there's nothing concrete at the moment.

Seattle might bump up and Portland is considering adding a few more rows. That's it really.

Before the Camillo mess, I was confident Vancouver would add some capacity, but they are in a very uncertain place right now.

4. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I can see Red Bulls attendance going up a little. We started 2013 with some bad numbers but once June 1st came around they started to go up. With the reigning SS Champions, and the suspected big DP signing after the World Cup I would think we would see an increase this season.

5. deedsy

deedsy Member

Mar 1, 2013
    it's a big season for the Red Bulls - they need to make some noise whether its a big signing or winning the Cup to hinder attention loss to NYC

6. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    slow spring and a better summer,thats always how it goes. the fact that theres like 3 home games in october should help their cause as well.

they really aren't gonna lose much to the new team regardless. unless they commit a PR nightmare their average should be somewhere above the league average as usual in 2014/2015.

7. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think TFC is a lock to go up in attendance, more a lock than any other team at this point.

8. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #83 firefan2001, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    I think we get to the 19,000 average this year.:) Missed it by 126,513 last year, Toronto alone will get us 49,000 of that. Last year averaged 18,131, in 2014 I think they will get 21,000 average.

9. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If San Jose gets 10.5k for Buck Shaw games and 50k for the Stanford game (same as last year) plus 50-67k for the Levi's stadium game their average will be 15-16k, well above last year.

10. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was talking about capacity changes not attendance.

But yeah, I expect 95%+ capacity crowds in Toronto.

11. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I share your optimism. Maybe a marginal increase due to a good team last year. I expect more of the same. Bad numbers until summer and then getting better assuming team is doing well and they do giveaways etc.

12. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has any of the other development projects in Harrison kicked off yet? A problem for RB is nothing to do but go between the parking lots/train station and the stadium.

13. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I agree with with all of you that edwardgr needs to estimate team-specific Tobit models on attendance using demographic, weather, and rivalry data as well as ticket resale prices in order to estimate latent attendance demand for each team on a year-by-year basis. I look forward to critiquing this future analysis as insufficient...

Allez RSL repped this.
  14. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Probably waiting for the mayor of Harrison to pay fealty to the governor or something like that...

phillypride and BalanceUT repped this.
  15. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some private things that are being done, but I doubt it moves the needle either way. We just don't make any noise in the crowded sports market. It looked good for 2 weeks last October-November, but they wasted their chance to make inroads by losing to Houston. Too bad, because they might be the only local team to make playoffs in 2014-2015

16. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Train infrastructure looks like it'll go Metro's way in the next few years.

the Harrison train station expansion (somehow more expensive then RBA itself :confused:) and world trade center hub plans that'll connect several downtown train stations together will be done by 2017 and 2015 respectively barring setbacks.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/...construction_on_path_station_in_harrison.html
    http://www.panynj.gov/path/harrisonredevelopment.html
    http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/transportation-hub.html

this means it'll be easier than ever to come in from the city to watch a game, dare I say it'll make going to the game from brooklyn in particular easier and/or quicker than getting to YS assuming City FC plays there.

As long as the team plays on the level it had this year or better more traction form the boroughs will be attained.

phillypride repped this.
  17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    How come this is such a problem in New York when the Galaxy have always had this problem and drawn well? Stubhub Center has an Ikea and a KFC around it...

I suppose it could be because Stubhub is a lot closer to the fanbase than RBA?

18. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the difference is that in Harrison, there are a lot of transit options for the fans. At the Stub Hub, the fans drive right to the stadium - so any issues with the surrounding neighborhood isn't as important.

Of course, there's a whole lot of historical perception/on-field performance stuff going on.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I hadn't renewed early this year I certainly wouldn't be doing it now. Crew were 16th of 19 last year (though 12 points clear of 17th) and have gone backwards in the off-season.

Even if one calls Parkhurst for Marshall an even swap, we lost Eddie Gaven to retirement and have shaved a lot of salary (Glauber, O'Rourke, Sanhez, Gaven, part of Marshall's) and have only brought in one international player, and that was a player signed by Bliss and the former regime.

We are sitting on cap space and are signing nothing but homegrowns and draft picks. No help up top, no replacement for Gaven, no help in CM. I think it will be ugly in Crewville this year. Look for a team that is dead last in the East and neck and neck with Chivas and FCD in terms of last overall in MLS, and boring to watch to boot.

20. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    FC Dallas has me hooked they keep offering me to keep the same price if I renew early, and I know that if I had to pay the listed season ticket prices i'd rarely go..

21. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team specific stats are coming along nicely. Still hope to have them up by the start of next week, so basically by Sunday.

22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    We have a new owner and coach but they seem to be cutting expenses rather than splashing cash, at least so far. The team replaced bleachers on the lower east side with seats (and raised prices there). I think that's the only change announced for the stadium so far so it's another season of poor audio and video (low def video board from 99) for those at the park. Team doesn't look very promising either.

Team had around 7k full season ticket holder equivalents last year. Goal has been 10k for years now (they had over 11k in first season back in 96). Perhaps an exciting midseason addition will boost attendance. But I expect little growth from 2013 and perhaps some backsliding. Attendance usually suffers the first few months of year. It picks up in summer and fall, partly aided by exchange policy.

23. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can check that one off the list at least...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...acelift-upgrades-include-replacement-scoreboa

fuzzx, redinthemorning and edwardgr repped this.
  24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
  25. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Given your attendance history I think an attractive stadium is more important than Capacity.

Did the FO articulate what future stadium plans are? are they planning more seats after they finish the center 3?