MLS Attendance Analysis: PreSeason

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Jan 15, 2014.

1. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Turnstile/tickets scanned count.

2. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    No need to; now we have drones for everything. ;)

3. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    How do you propose we get those numbers if they are not reported?

4. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed,there shouldn't be any dramatic shift anywhere. moderate dips, moderate increases and Chivas gonna Chivas. league average will hit about 18k give or take again.

lol.

5. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Honestly though, I am aware of law enforcement, journalists and activist groups that have all been working on drones with software to accurately count heads in a crowd. The tech exists and it would only require a slow pan around the field to gather the data.

But that's never going to happen. Each venue ALREADY has accurate "tickets scanned" numbers, which they don't release. There is no benefit to them by being more accurate. Everyone begrudgingly accepts the reported values, and the team has the flexibility to mess with them as much a they want.

6. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about a big market preseason prediction? NYRB was silently a decent draw at home in like of SKC's continued sellouts and the crews burst.this year the red bulls play 10 of their last 16 at home, the best home draws sans home openers and LA matches tend to come during the summer and fall after a few early season mediocre turnouts so this looks like it'll yield very good results later on as usual.

the spring is lukewarm at best for whatever reason after the opener, Chivas is the second home game draw, I'd wager it'll dip from somewhere 20k or above to the low to mid 10K's like it has for that past few years.

2015 has the galaxy coming back to NY and a second team in the area to boost attendance once a year (maybe more) with new neighbors coming in it'd be nice to gauge how the team does without the competition in 2014, though i wouldn't expect any big dip once NYCFC comes around anyhow.

THAT teams turnout will mostly be made up of people not coming to games in Harrison as it is with only a few casuals just looking for soccer in the area jumping ship. so there shouldn't be a big loss, a majority of RBNY/Metro fans have been through too much to move onto the new hotness. and no it won't just be NJ fans staying either, plenty will make the trek from across state lines as they currently do despite a team presumably playing in the bronx. we won't be the new Chivas like I see a couple morons on MLS.com saying.

19k is not unreasonable, maybe more if Henry's last games cap off the year.

7. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was joking but whatever....

fuzzx repped this.
  8. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    On a serious note...
    RBNY attendance intrigues me this year; in anticipation of NYFC I wonder if any NY fans will forego their STs for RB.

9. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reasonably? a handful if we're talking 17 game season ticket owners. STH's who have been making the trek all this time aren't going anywhere if they haven't already. Its unlikely many fans are suddenly gonna be like "wait a minute? I've been traveling this far on a bi weekly basis for a team with a corporate name thats recently been going in a positive direction and won its first trophy all this time?! ditch!"

If we're here now, we're here to stay, probably only the casual fans east of the hudson or else any other attendee not fond of the team anyhow will go anywhere. the red bulls will make it out just fine with fans from NJ, brooklyn, and lower manhattan.

edit: and like I said, City FC coming along once or twice a year will help out with that anyhow. ironically, it might make fans unhappy with having to travel to jersey, travel to jersey if only once a year. :confused:

10. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Did they have just one off-site game last year? I remember huge attendance (an an amazing ending, moment of the year for me) in that game at Stanford.

11. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes just one last year which is the only reason they had a 'drop' in their numbers. They had two in 2012.

12. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played.

13. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So good to see this thread pop up again. Feels like the season is just around the corner now. :)

I'm a bit concerned about Vancouver to be honest. Unless that organization gets its act together, we could start seeing them drop a little bit.

BalanceUT repped this.
  14. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I am predicting 19.2k average for this new season - new record! ;)

firefan2001 repped this.
  15. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah I know. But I wanted to segway to a more serious point.

In hindsight I would have phrased it differently.

16. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    RBNY's numbers will rise if Xavi comes after the world cup as Sky Italia is reporting.

17. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not even gone entertain that idea... its always X wants to come to new york! or X thinks NY would be great! I'll believe it when I see it. expect an increase after the WC anyway, if for no other reason but consistency.

18. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to be serious, I recommend walking instead.

JasonMa, edwardgr and fuzzx repped this.
  19. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xavi already said this is not real.

===================

However, the Spain international told Mundo Deportivo that he has not spoken to anyone about moving to the Big Apple.

“Nobody has made me any proposition,” he said. “I know nothing else about New York apart from that it is very cold there. Henry has not called me, nor have I spoken with him. I do not have his telephone number.”

20. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    The number that blows my mind is the fact that there was a very significant increase in the amount of games blow the 10k threshold, the 30k's remained steady, and, nevertheless, last season managed to virtually tie with 2012.

Amazing season!

21. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    To put a damper on the happiness I wouldn't be surprised if both Vancouver and Montreal attendance to go down this year. The honeymoon of a new team is over and I think both teams are going to struggle on the field compared to before as well.

22. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Forgive me, as a newbie to this thread, for returning to what's probably an old subject. The inelegent part of this formula is the use of the >20K stat. With several new SSS having capacities of less than 20K, and SJ coming in next year at 18K, it's unsatisfying to see >20K reported as a meaningful benchmark. Could the formula be adjusted to hinge on >18K?

23. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing in the table that I, as a relative newbie, don't understand, the Date column. What is it representing?

24. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The day the regular season ended that year.

If memory serves 2001 was cut short because of 9/11.

edwardgr repped this.
  25. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The >20k and <10k conversations come up every year, no forgiveness needed.

They have no real meaning. Let me give you the history.

Back when we started eons ago we tracked only the average.

Then as it became clear that the double headers and July 4ths back in the day were skewing the average we started to track the median.

Then bored out of our mind one day (maybe 2003/2004ish) we asked a simple question.
    What attendance looks good on the stat sheet and what attendance number looks bad?

Everyone agreed that +20k looked and sounded nice and that any game below 10k was bad.

That was the genesis of those two stats. Utterly meaningless and yet still fun to track all of these years later. :)

I will let Ed field your specific 18k threshold question.