MLS Attendance Analysis: PreSeason

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by edwardgr, Jan 15, 2014.

1. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have typed several responses and deleted all of them because none were satisfactory.

The simple answer is that it would be best to avoid anything that can be construed as trolling or baiting. I think most people in this thread would see that as bait, and again it is because you have neither evidence that it still occurs, nor the ability to quantify the frequency. That type of declaration is far different from saying people stayed home because of the weather. The latter is a generalization and is more than likely true to some degree, the former is a declaration suggesting that the author knows the usual number and can tell that this is more or less than the usual number.

As for Occam's Razor, sure you can hypothesize an informed simplest possible solution, but it is not a substitute for an answer. It is a starting point. And when you use it to attempt to discredit those local to the situation, who are likely better informed than you it is no longer being used properly.

Is Chivas fudging their numbers. I don't really know, it is possible so I cannot discount the possibility. Does it appear that their numbers are greater than butts in seats sure, but that does not mean that the difference is fudge. It could be any number of free legitimate distributions that go unused. Am I qualified to quantify any number beyond what is in the official release, no, and neither is anyone else herein.

BalanceUT, fuzzx and aperfectring repped this.
  2. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    See that's what I mean. Everyone can give their half assed opinion (excuse) on why the stadium is empty. But someone says the obvious and you guys start being a dick to them, and accuse them of trolling.

And this deference to locals where you can't question something is pretty weak sauce as well. An opinion is a debatable topic.

But whatevs....

I understand wanting to steer the convo and not wanting to bogged down in debating how the numbers are calculated. It just seems like you're steering the convo back towards that topic by allowing these unverifiable guesses at why the place is empty.

3. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would say that the main point this thread exists is to talk about attendance based on published numbers. A certain level of objectivity is needed to keep discussion flowing.

Based on years of running these threads, @edwardgr and other participants have gotten a feel for what type of speculation produces a productive result and what does not.

You may think a certain type of speculation is obvious or reasonable, I won't judge either way. But I trust the people who have been doing this forever to determine the standards, because i've seen threads derail in the blink of an eye over less.

BalanceUT, edwardgr, deejay and 2 others repped this.