MLS asks USSF to investigate racial slurs during Open Cup game

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FlashMan, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://msn.espn.go.com/soccer/news/2001/0109/1004502.html

The alleged incident helped to lead to a brawl after the game, which led to Gutierrez having his eye severely damaged (which led to surgery).

There's an article in the KC Star this morning regarding Gutiereez' side of the story. See the "newspaper" section in the News & Analysis forum.

There was also an article in the Rochester paper a day or two after the game, where the player(s) denied using racial slurs.

Clearly something happened.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    What could this player call Diego that wouldn't result in him getting his ass kicked by his OWN players, let alone the Wiz?

3. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Any racism in American Sports will be dealt with and should be with strong resolution. We have a big country and there are still some idiots out there. Some may play soccer...what a notion foul mouth and stupid!!!

4. SoccerTown USA

Mar 20, 1999
    Interestingly, the espn article does not mention the Rhino player, but the Rochester paper said the accused is Kirk Wilson. Wilson has denied making the remarks.

The refs lost control of this match early. Early on, Wilson accidently ran into Meola, who then through Wilson to the ground. The refs either did not see it or ignored it. Rochester GM said that Meola is the one who made the accusation that Wilson had made a racial slur to Guitierrez. Rhinos GM said Meola is arrogant and doesn't consider his comments credible.

There is talk here in Rochester that the Wizards are doing everything possible to avoid coming back to Rochester for a friendly on August 26th, thus the request for an investigation.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plot thickens...

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Meola is becoming a bonified super thug.

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Meola is a class act. I met him at the Cary training camp. He was laid back, humble, and about as arrogant as Elmer Fudd.

If he says Wilson made a racial slur, he made a racial slur.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I understand how the brawl broke out.

It is odd, as Stogey points out, that of all sports to throw out a racial slur, it is soccer. On any given day in an MLS game, you probably have players from 6 -10 different countries.

Sad and amazing.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean he walks around with a permanent boner?

Or does it mean you don't know how to spell bona fide?

heh heh heh

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From today's KC Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/3736345.htm

Two things:

1. I can just imagine how this "good, fun, clean game" would turn out.

2. Brutal August schedule for KC. The last thing they need is some silly exhibition in Rochester - complete with all these added distractions - to also take place.

All for Owandi Lowe!!

11. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
  12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

1) I love how the of people that defend the Rhinos a majority of them dont list any team by their name. Just an observation.

2) Check KC's schedule. You think we want to come all the way up there for some stupid ass friendly in the middle of the month from hell just to risk another player getting a broken face? F- that!

PS- Join the convo here!
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2754

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You call that a convo!! ;)

I don't see how the USSF is going to get to the bottom of this unless they got game film covering the entire field, and someone else besides Meola heard the alleged slurs. But I could be wrong.

14. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    I hadn't read all the reports on the situation prior to posting. It is hard to tell exactly what happened, but it sounds like some of the Rhino players were dangerously out of line and deserve severe penalties. I was thrown off by Garber's emphasis on the alleged racial slur.

I don't think the KC schedule is much of a reason to duck what would be a well attended match, especially since individual regular season MLS games are not that critical. However learning more about this incident puts KC's desire to avoid a rematch in a new light.

15. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    This weekend a local Rochester soccer TV show will be going through the film of this altercation.. They say they will be breaking down every incident that occured.. So i guess that there is video out there..I won't be able to see it, but it will be aired on saturday afternoon, so i am sure that we will hear about it.