MLS asking FSC for $20M a year

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stan Collins, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    A great point. Apparently each national broadcaster would want a unique day/timeslot, to avoid direct audience fragmentation within any 2-hour block.

And for each national partner slot, the league would limit the size of packages for potential local tv partners.

But remember MLS is adding teams and games in 2011.

And I'd argue that MLS is at a stage where expanded coverage and exposure would likely have a net positive of growing the overall audience, and not just fragmenting that small existing base of viewers.

2. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's not strange. It happens.

Hell, viewers on Spanish channels don't even get counted when ESPN does it's numbers. ESPN has never tried to win, or is to pathetic to work for that crowd, so it doesn't exist. There can't be much more growth. It's all a bunch of Spanish people watching! Hell, count me as a gringo who watches that more than ESPN telecasts. The dreck we have had to deal with is painful and embarrassing.

I hope never to run into John Harkes again. All I would ever be able to think about is a skillfully placed shot to the throat.

3. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does ESPN Deportes factor into your argument?

4. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true, it's called exposure and we all know that majority of soccer fans don't even know there's a soccer league here in the USA and since the level of play has been improved from 1996 , those that simpled MLS in early days might give them another look.

5. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You, sir, need a new TV.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The NFL is on NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN and NFLN.

Is it hurting them?

Heck, if it wasn't for some stupid laws, they'd have every game nationally televised.

With its expansion, MLS should be easily able to handle 4-6 nationally televised matches.

After that, the number of the channel carrying those games won't really matter.

ESPN2 can have its one (not that they really want it, unless it's a late West Coast game).

Telefutura can have its choice on Saturday afternoon.

Which leaves 2-4 more to Versus and FSC and, as far as I am concerned, they might as well split it down the middle.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.
    Oh great. When he says it, it's a great point. When I say it, you want to argue. ;)
    Yes, and since MLS is exactly as popular as the NFL as a TV product, you bring up a great point.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Being on TV is what every sport league wants.

It means more money and more exposure.

I am really not sure why you are against it.

In terms of actual in-game attendance, the games can be staggered enough to have minimal negative consequences.

And that is, if you believe that having matches on TV has them.

To me, this represents the old Bud Selig owned Brewers teams and I don't think that is the proper stance to take.

Selig never televised the local games.

The Cubs did.

The Cubs win.

Cubs win.

Cubs win.

9. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that it's such a good idea to base an argument on these particular words.

[​IMG]

10. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like FSC ratings for MLS games average about 55k. Does anyone know what their average is for CL and for EPL games? Thank you

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ESPN Deportes is small potatoes...isn't it? When compared to Univision, etc.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Mexico's home qualifiers, the Spanish rights holder normally acquires all language rights. That's why Telemunda was able to keep the Mexico-USA game away from ESPN and put it on mun2. For their myriad friendlies in the USA, I don't know. I would guess that the Spanish rights holder acquires the English rights as well in order to maintain exclusivity.

13. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it is compared to Univision, but ESPND is on most cable packages nowadays. And I've also watched ESPN deportes in hotel rooms in each of the last three Latin American countries I've traveled to (Mexico, Honduras and Cuba).

14. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    neck punching john harkes and marcelo balboa is the reason i have made the switch to projection tv's....

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    However, prior to the FinSyn rules, it did make the Cubs and the Braves very popular.

16. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    going back to the $20mil report, imo this has garber's fingerprints on it. tv contracts is an issue he seems qualified to be in charge of personally. and the 'windbag' approach is something we've come to recognize. garber seems never to have met an hyperbole he didn't like.

interesting is the question of who gave this out to the press. of course fsc may have in order let the world (us, anyway) judge what a bloated request this was. but it also might have been garber himself who leaked (again, assuming he's running the mls front). opening the mouth is something he's never shy about. and although 'negotiating in the press' might seem a basic no-no, remember brian cashman with the jeter contract and the pursuit of cliff lee. it was like he thought he was teaching a case study in business school. iow, 'experienced' negotiators do funny things too.

or, garber may have leaked to the public for some specific tactical reason he has in view.

it'll be interesting how this goes forth, how they get to an end game and of what kind/numbers.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely as clear as mud who has the English rights. SUM only says they have marketing rights. The story about Univision getting rights says they won "the Spanish-language TV and digital rights in the U.S. to Mexican national soccer team matches, leading up to the 2014 World Cup." No mention of the English rights.

So my supposition is likely wrong but it would be nice to know.

1 person likes this.
  18. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
  19. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

The only English language broadcast of FMF games I'm aware of is on Mun2 -- and it's awful. Is there any other network offering MFL games with PBP in English?

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    discuss, not argue. ;)

and maybe he said it "better" (and less assuredly) than you did, and included words like "might" and other speculative thoughts.

you're "won't happen" stance was what I was wondering about and not considering a "great point" -- (although it might still turn out to be an accurate take depending on how the upcoming SUM deals get finalized, or not).

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not.

Predicting something and favoring something are two different things.

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    and that gets back to what I thought was my initial question:

when would your prediction change?

when (in your opinion or prediction) would MLS merit or be ready to handle/satisfy "four (paying) national tv partners," if not in 2011?

do they need 19 teams? 20 teams? do other things have to happen? is it all tied to "improving ratings"?

for national tv partners for MLS/SUM, why does it have to be either/or (but not both) of FSC and Versus (given that Disney and Univision are in place as MLS broadcast partners at least through 2014)?

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positive rep if anyone tther than tab5g is the first to respond

I don't believe so. As far as I could tell, the mun2 stuff was just because Telemundo held all rights to WCQ through CONCACAF rules. Did they do friendlies on mun2 as well? You might find this crazy, but I don't exactly rush to watch the Mexican national team play friendlies. :p

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    stopping all Positive rep for anyone

not that I know of, although I remember reading that they were considering making mun2 the channel that could/would show more sporting events (assuming they had or would maintain those rights).

right, and not many US fans do (but what do I know?). so I kinda doubt the idea that SUM may/could be packaging English-language Mexican NT friendly rights into a potential new deal with FSC. (although, I don't totally discount the idea either, as I do think FSC might see that content as a valuable or worthwhile property, given that there could actually be a decent sized audience of people who do care about the Mexican NT but either don't speak Spanish or would rather not watch their friendlies on Univision -- or don't even realize that they receive a Univision signal. again, we have no idea if the new SUM/Univision deal included or excluded English language rights, as far as I know.)

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: stopping all Positive rep for anyone

Well, Telemundo = NBC = Versus.

So, that may be another package, though El Tri rights went back to Univision.