News: MLS and RBNY Provide FREE Bus and Tickets for Traveling DCU Fans

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by greekchampion04, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't want to get in the weeds on this, but when did you roll up a soccer size field heavy gauge tarp in 45mph winds? When did you try to use a snowblower to move WET snow about 50 yards (in swirling heavy winds)? And to do these things quickly?

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yikes why is a very good question. Also, it sounds like they had one big tarp? That is also stupid. In case of covering for snow - use multiple small tarps - easier to remove.

Sounds more like the issue at hand is not MLS but that NYRBA staff is woefully unprepared.

3. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Great question. I was onsite manager for a set of fields in my hometown when I was in college. We had to tarp the field for snow prior to H.S. playoff games (up north soccer is fall sport). We used multiple small tarps which are easier to remove. We didn't have as much snow but we had to remove it with two shovels and one snow blower in about an hour.

Can't say I have dealt with doing it in 45 mph wind but I also wouldn't have used a "soccer size" tarp.

As for wet snow about 50 yards - once a week for three months, about 20 years of my life.

4. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    They started about four hours before game time, and it took, what, a bit more than an hour? Players are out for warm-ups, kickabouts, and stretches two or more hours before games. Not everything is a conspiracy.

5. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    They're not modeled on the practices of your high school sports field = they don't know what they're doing

:thumbsup:

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

The fact they they don't know what they're doing is evident from how it was handled last night. what more proof do you need?

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I agree, they don't know what they are doing. :thumbsup:

8. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh, I think they knew exactly what they were doing. I totally understand why DC supporters who made the trip are angry at such a cynical piece of gamesmanship, and don't think that Ben Olsen didn't know it too when he sent the players into the stands.

I'm frustrated as well, and I'm sorry for not only for the 700 DC supporters, and the refs, players, and staff, but also for the NY supporters who made it to the stadium for no reason, for those who tried and failed, for the NY supporter who got stuck in the snow en route and had to sleep in his car last night. But the ultimate responsibility for this nightmare is with the league.

Jasonma repped this.
  9. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    They could have got the field in shape to have a game that would have been almost as "playable" as the 2nd playoff game against LA last year, which was awful. But not with your approach.

10. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I actually don't think they should have played based on what I saw of the field at kickoff. But once they decided to not cancel the game a day prior even though the entire free world knew what was coming, they should have been much more prepared for snow removal then they were. A half dozen guys with $7 shovels? That was the approach? * Which I believe is actually agreeing with your earlier comments. I was just surprised they had a tarp on at all given the field 30 minutes prior to kick.

BTW my tarp plan had nothing to do with their playing conditions, only pointing out it is much easier to remove snow and ice covered tarps when you use a bunch of smaller ones as opposed to an 80x120 yard tarp. And you asked.

11. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Romania sees its fare share of snow, but I highly doubt it experiences Noreaster blizzard conditions. And for the record, even the Bundesliga has been known to cancel matches because of the snow, not to mention the EPL.

With that said, the match should have been postponed well in advance. The Red Bulls were well aware of the storm peaking right around kick-off two days prior and they pushed to reschedule the match only to be rebuffed by the league, because TV and playoff schedule comes first. I guess MLS expected lots of rain and perhaps a flurry beyond that, but they should have known better. I'm not as much ticked off at the fact that it was cancelled as I am at the fact that it was cancelled one hour after it was scheduled to begin. It's fine for you to complain about 700 DC fans who took personal time of work to pack into free busses and take advantage of free tickets (and they have the reason to be pi$$ed too, don't get me wrong), but let's not forget you had loyal home fans who made the track to the arena in blizzard conditions from all over tri-state region, Pennsylvania, NYC, Connecticut, even Albany and Detroit, on their own dime. I guess the fact that I sat in traffic for several hours in complete whiteout only pales by comparrison. I don't envy those fans who had to find a way to get back into the city with basically all methods of public transportation suspended due to Sandy, and now even further because of the storm. I wouldn't be surprised if it took DC fans less time to get back home in the comfort of a warm bus, then those trying to figure out how to get back to Long Island. Point is, DC fans were not the only ones screwed by the league, so let's not play the victim here.

As far as complaining about Backe you can whine all you want. Olsen's team was ready to play, of course they were. That's because the blizzard wipes out any technical or home field advantage the Red Bulls had in this match. Backe was right to call for a cancellation, as he did two days in advance. He's looking out for the best interest of his club, as he should. He may not be much of a techtician, but at least he's got a few brain cells to understand that he has a better shot in clear weather. DC fans may feel it's not fair, boo hoo. Backe didn't cancel this match last minute, MLS did.

12. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bulls fan complaining about losing home field advantage :rolleyes:

sitruc repped this.
  13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc, xsosx and Boloni86 repped this.
  15. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    That was in February, though, when the ground would have been frozen. Driving a pickup out onto a soggy field in November would just make it into a mudpit. Not that the game wouldn't have been unplayable or not awesome in a mudpit, just that probably shouldn't be the first solution.

You don't really need to remove all the snow anyway

16. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't MLS Cup 96 played in a mudpit?

17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that was more of a swamp or lake as I recall. :)

18. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    NYRB should have called Mr Plow!

19. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said I was complaining.

20. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The heated field is to prevent the turf from freezing, it doesn't necessarily melt snow. Glad you finally learned how to use google.

21. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why no one asked Hans what he thought about UEFA Champions League games that are played in snowstorms. I guess those aren't as serious as an MLS playoff game.

22. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to get this SLIGHTLY back on topic...

DCU is still sending 5 buses full of fans to this game.

sitruc, THOMA GOL, DCUroma and 1 other person repped this.
  23. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    usually I say pox to both of your houses when it comes to DC and NY, but I really hope DC wins this game, just so that it pays off for all the United supporters who put in such an effort to support their team.

plus I want to see Garber cry.

24. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Red Bull Arena has some sort of special kind of heat that "doesn't necessarily melt snow." Can you explain that to me? I'm sorry you haven't finally learned how to use dictionary.com

25. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as one of those supporters who went up yesterday but couldnt clear my schedule out again today.... thank you