MLS All-Star Game All-Inclusive Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I didn't get a ticket and plan a trip back home...

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, glad i didn't pull the trigger and get one when i had the ticket sitting in my cart. not that i don't have interest in seeing roma, just not at the prices they were charging.

Soccer7947 repped this.
  4. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lame. They're arguably not even the best team in Roma.

5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    2013 A.S. Roma
    2012 Chelsea
    2011 Manchester United
    2010 Manchester United
    2009 Everton
    2008 West Ham United
    2007 Celtic
    2006 Chelsea
    2005 Fulham
    2004 East v West
    2003 Guadalajara
    2002 United States
    2001 East v West
    2000 East v West
    1999 East v West
    1998 MLS World v MLS USA
    1997 East v West
    1996 East v West

6. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got my tickets and am looking forward to the game.

7. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited about the match and glad I got tickets. Sure, Roma is not Real Madrid/Barca/Man U/Juventus/Bayern etc, but they are a good team in a good league and they have a strong history.

Plus Totti, De Rossi, Lamela, and Bradley will be fun to watch.

8. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if Osvaldo will be there.

I think it'll be lots of fun. On the whole I'd rather have had a Spanish or German team, but still, I like meaningless games like this and have no regrets about getting tickets early. Should be an entertaining evening no matter what.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Spurs was a target too, but was asking for Man united money.

11. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Man, when they announced the ASG in KC, I so wanted to see Messi. It was apparent that wasn't happening quite awhile ago, though.

I'm disappointed in the opponent, but it'll be fine. Still going to be a fun game to go to.

12. ZinedineZusi

ZinedineZusi Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

At least MLS should be able to handle these guys.

The most disappointing aspect of this selection is knowing that there will be far more attractive opponents playing in the US this summer in the same timeframe, and they're not even playing in MLS cities. It would appear that MLS was outmaneuvered by this Guiness International Cup of Champions. Phoenix gets Real vs LAG, and Indynoplace gets Inter vs Chelsea the day after the MLS All Star game?

13. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta follow the money trail. Sporting Park 20,000 max vs NFL stadiums 70,000 + ...... along with broadcast revenue. Real v LAG will be a joke.. but the Inter v Chelsea will probably be entertaining.

14. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I feel very lucky that I get to drive 30 minutes from my home to attend a soccer game at a beautiful stadium to see a Serie A team play MLS All Stars.

jtreg repped this.
  15. Falsify

Falsify Member

Jul 28, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are members stand tickets on sale separately? Looks like everything is already sold out :(

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is anyone else uncomfortable with skc labeling kansas city as "soccer capital of america?" i've seen it at the stadium before and now i've seen it at the bottom of their emails (at least on the last one about this silver ticket thingy for the all-star game). i figured i'd put this here because it seems to be a front office movement revolving around the all-star game, but if a mod wants to start a new thread for it, then that's fine.

i just wanted to see how others felt about it. what exactly is it that the front office feels qualifies us as being the epicenter of the sport in this country? is it because we've had great fan support for... what, 2 years now? is it because of the club's success on the field, that being 1 open cup and 0 mls cups?

this isn't me bagging on the club. i think as an organization we've taken massive strides. i think the city's support of the team is far beyond what i ever would've thought we could dream of just 3 years ago. still though, it bothers me to no end that we... well, some of us are (judging from comments i've seen on other sites), but i should say the front office... seems to already be patting themselves on the back. it's been 2 years guys. let's not get arrogant here and puff out our chest. calling ourselves the soccer capital of the country is premature, and honestly, it wreaks of a budding superiority complex. part of being a great organization, or great anything, is letting your work speak for itself. let's not label ourselves. please sporting club, stop with this "soccer capital of america" garbage.

17. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it has more to do with the US Soccer "tentative agreement" or whatever it is for the big training center here. So perhaps some community marketing to build support for the kind of public funding that helped land the stadium? I am sure if Wyandotte and Kansas don't want to come through, there'll be some other city like Orlando that'll cough up the cash to do it right--land a future franchise and the US Soccer complex.

That said, we at least have public/private momentum right now, so let's ride it out and hope that the ASG and Roma isn't the pinnacle or the jump the shark moment for soccer in KC. When you've got a lead, you don't put on the brake, you step on the gas, and I think that's what they're doing with the marketing and branding for this.

18. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all that is fine. again, i'm not suggesting we put on the brakes, but giving ourselves a title like that isn't necessary. it's kinda like giving yourself a nickname. it should come up organically, from someone else. giving yourself a nickname makes you look like a dick.

19. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Midwestern humility, I get it. I have it, and I share your uneasiness...I had the same reaction when I saw the sign, just as I feel the same way when I hear a franchise owner or rep refer to their team as a "product".

But...all of these titles are self-named marketing gimmicks...look at the history of Hockeytown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockeytown

If you would have asked me where is Hockeytown, I would have said Detroit. At some point the marketing becomes a reality. (Let's just hope the Cauldron doesn't start throwing octopi into the area before playoff games.)

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tickets arrived in the mail today.

21. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1

22. RazzleDazzle7

RazzleDazzle7 Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought all of the ticket options defaulted to Will Call pick up only?

23. DemDave

DemDave Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

My rep called that a "misprint." The preorders are really being mailed. Not sure whether they're using STM addresses, credit card addresses, or what. If in doubt, call your rep/customer service.

Could you imagine thousands of people all trying to use WillCall on game day?

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have been a cluster******** of epic proportions.

25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which makes you wonder why they didn't go ahead and ;) distribute them that way.