Review: MLS/36 and Insider 2013-14

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Jun 13, 2013.

1. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Totally agree with you. I liked Brad Davis but after watching that episode not any more. MLS has campaign "Don't cross the line" and this episode with weapon promotion crossed my line. I think nobody wants to see Gilbert Arenas situation happens in our league!?

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The fact that Brad Davis is a legal owner is now 'crossing the line' and is Brad Davis will be taking his firearm into the locker room. You have every right to dislike someone for any reason you want, rational or not, but to disparage someone and a show for showing something 'in the moment' as a real part of their life I believe isn't fair. He owns a gun. It is what it is. Choose to own a gun or not but chastise him for doing so isn't right either. Seems to have a little of the 'Dixie Chicks' blacklisting involved here.

3. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    My kinda guy. Brad Davis that is.
    But I wouldn't have chosen Mother's Day for gift-giving; most likely Valentine's Day.

As soon as I received my LTC I took my wife to the shooting range a few times to get comfortable with the proper handling of a firearm.

4. chispa

chispa Member

Jul 29, 2007
    And what I took away from the show was that Brad Davis is a family man, very devoted to his children, who happens to like target shooting, and wants to share that hobby with his wife. I guess that image goes against the agenda of the anti-gun people, and I guess they don't like other folks to see that not all gun owners are evil people that are itching at the chance kill innocent people just because they have a gun.

By the way, if he drove a Prius instead of a big badass truck, would it have made any difference in your disappointment of him? ;)

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

I don't own a gun, and don't feel myself a member of that culture, but my reading of that campaign was about tolerance of people whose culture or ways are different from your own. It's weird to see it deliberately invoked on behalf of closed minds.

billf, Mucky, blacksun and 3 others repped this.
  6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joey's Path to MLS? I gotta watch that and see how honest they are about the whole saga. He disparaged the league for years before he finally gave in.

Re: Brad Davis and guns....he's lived in Texas for years, loves to practice shooting as a means of calming and focusing himself and wants to share that with his wife. What's the problem? I hope every man can be as devoted as he and wanting to share his passions with his betrothed (and yes, I'm not a married man so I could be talking outta my ass).

redinthemorning repped this.
  7. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    In USA legal owners of guns kill innocent children and people almost every day! Less guns means more lives!
    Owning Prius or truck might tell me about educational level of that person but it doesn't mean that I will like more Prius person. :)

8. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    i wasn't commenting on whether brad davis should own a gun. i was commenting on whether that particular part of his life needed to be highlighted on mls/36. iow it was a comment about the league's p.r.. a league that came out so progressive on the boy scout case might have avoided purveying images of firearms. which is a long way from saying i expect mls to stand explicitly on the side of gun control, which i wouldn't want them to do. but you can respect the gun culture without putting those images on the show, which to me would have seemed wiser.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said. Unless the segment showed him doing something illegal or unsafe with the weapon then I don't have an issue with it. I don't feel the need to own a gun (my choice of weapon in my house is a bit more...medieval...than that ;)) and I think this country needs to deal with gun issues, but that doesn't meant hat somebody who does enjoy guns should be prevented from sharing it, as long as its legal and safe.

Oobers and billf repped this.
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS should only allow liberal viewpoints and "progressive" activities to be shown on their MLS Insider program. Brad Davis should serve a 10-game suspension for legally owning a gun and Tally Hall should get 5 games out. Players who have supported Republican candidates for office should automatically start the season with one yellow card to count towards their accumulation

Oobers, billf, Mucky and 2 others repped this.
  11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Very intelligent post. For me it wasn't too much of the point, alot of soccer, alot of family, alot of teammates, alittle target shooting, alittle mention of the purchase. So while I agree that some editing decisions need to be made I just didn't think it was too much.

12. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly ...

13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Where does one buy a Cat-o-Nine-Tails these days? Cat-o-Nine-Tails R Us?

14. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    anyway, to fine tune my reaction...
    i could have done without the close-up of that intense look on his face while he's firing the weapon. also because at that point you're pbl into pg rating, which may not be appropriate for this show. let him talk about his hobby. show him walking into his gun club. show him come back out smiling and happy. but don't show weapons being fired. i could do without what looks like an ad to go join your local firing range.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my sword at a Scottish Festival (my boomerang was a gift). I saw a few other nasty weapons at the festival but I can't remember if there was a Cat-o-Nine-Tails or not... ;)

16. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Going Global: NYC FC, Michael Bradley, and Danny Mwanga in MLS | MLS Insider Episode 5

ImaPuppy repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw that the show is on Univision Deportes Network with Spanish subtitles.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo sent a copy of Brad Davis' MLS 36 to STHs. I know it's free online, but I'll take it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Interesting, I feel like 36 dwells a little long on one topic and that Insider is better.

tehlazerviking repped this.
  21. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get ready to bust out the tissues again tonight. Insider is revisiting the story of Atticus Lane-Dupre, the young Timbers fan who used his Make-A-Wish moment to organize a game between the Timbers and his youth soccer team.

sedlie, Soccerglue and JasonMa repped this.
  22. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Atticus' Army

23. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Hope: Atticus' Army and the MLS Academy Structure MLS Insider Episode 6

24. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  25. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I appreciate I am late to this debate but it is an issue I feel passionately about even though I come from a country where guns are illegal, unless you work for the government or you are wealthy enough to be able to hire private security that has special license to carry, so I hope folk don't mind me sticking my nose in.

If less guns means more lives then how is it that states or cities with the strictest gun laws such as Chicago have around three times the murder rates of somewhere such as Houston (2012 stats) that has comparatively loose gun control laws as well as concealed carry?
    If there is any correlation between murder rates and gun control laws it could more justifiably be argued, from such statistics, that where gun control laws are at their strictest so more crime and murders occur.
    That is why it is so important to separate a narrative that is being pushed through an agenda from the statistical evidence.
    Obviously it is a very complex issue and I can see validity in both sides of the argument but as somebody who admires the Southern spirit of independence and libertarianism I can see why gun ban laws would be fiercely opposed.
    Obviously it as very important part of the constitution but at a very fundamental level why should somebody working for the government be any more trusted than a law abiding citizen?
    Police officers shoot innocent people all the time despite their "training" and not every cop is law abiding by any stretch of the imagination.
    Why should the wealthy have the right to armed protection but not the general citizenry?
    And how is it that troops are trusted with the most lethal firearms while under the direct control of the government, who actually train them how to be efficient killers, but not so when they return to citizenry and are no longer under that direct control?

Surely in a free country a person has inalienable rights rather than granted privileges and isn't the most fundamental of those rights to be able to protect oneself from the use of deadly force?
    If so, then since one can only realistically protect oneself from an armed assailant by also being armed, then the right to bear arms is also the right to protect oneself and that inalienable right.
    Of course those who do not wish to exercise that right are free not to do so.

>>>Slinks out of yet another thread after a political diatribe but at least I didn't start this one.