MLS 2014 TV Thread (Ratings, contracts etc)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    At the time there was a lot of hype around that match. A lot of talk about the great Cosmos, their big spending team, their WC players, and how rock hard artificial turf wasn't the only reason they looked good against Euro teams on summer tours in the US. There were points to prove...Bayern proved them.

Bayern came back for the return leg in the Swamp and totally dominated in a 2-0 win. Two clear Bayern goals were disallowed, NYC quite literally couldn't cross the half line in half one until the 43 minute, and Bayern toyed with them....on the vaunted turf.

It shut a lot of people up here, and shot down the great NASL debate once and for all. It was a key turning point for the Cosmos and the NASL in general IMO.

Take the worst couple of NYC fans now, multiply it by a thousand with a bit of media to back it up, and some folks had enough. The smack down was not an accident.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can definitely believe that, specially since NASL did not participate in Concacaf / other real International competitions.

Easy to claim World Champion when you do not have to play teams from other countries (Canada not included).

I can imagine how the board would be if MLS did not participate in the CCL and the Galaxy won a summer game vs. Barcelona, how people in here would hype that victory, multiply that by New Yorkers and I can imagine the false hype that existed around the Cosmos in the 70's.

I think CCL results help keep a lid on the hype machine that big soccer would become.

mbar and Zoidberg repped this.
  3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    You just hit the nail on the head. Friendlies don't make you great.

That was the Cosmos at the height of their popularity and power also. There clearly was a mental shift after that.

I personally love the success we are seeing in the NASL right now. It is awesome. I think we are seeing a positive turning point for the game here in that regard mentally.

However, whenever those two or three NYC fans start talking absolute idiocy it is easy for me to want to mock them.
    Kind of reminds me of the NYC fans before the Bayern match up back then. Ignorant and mind numbingly annoying. Still, when all is said and done I am rooting for them, just wish those fans would stay on their boards.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, all power to making the lower divisions better and more profitable. It's the delusion we can do less without. My lord! Get a couple of moldy old trademarks and the poseurs come out of the woodworks.

5. FootyMan1

FootyMan1 Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    171,000 viewers for Chicago-NE on Saturday-John Ourand.

I think that's pretty damn good figuring we didn't have an EPL lead and also that's its a pretty ugly game. Good sign.

Revolt, Allez RSL, Zoidberg and 2 others repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit yeah, that is a good number for that game.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    This basically proves our suspicions that ratings on NBCSN will be up significantly this year... just as we are getting ready to leave NBC :-(

8. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goodness. Fantastic number when you factor everything in.

That number would have been tied for 7th best last year out of 37 games. Yikes.

9. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big question is will any of this good news leak over to ESPN when they start up next month?

10. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS 2014 Regular Season TV Ratings Summary

Home teams listed first. All times are Eastern

NBC Sports Network (all ratings for 2.5 hour window unless specified)
    Game 1: 330k (SEA vs KC) Saturday 3:00pm. 3/8/2014
    Game 2: 171k (SEA vs TFC) Saturday 4:30pm. 3/15/2014
    Game 3: 180k (RSL vs LA) Saturday 4:00pm 3/22/2014
    Game 4: 157k (DC vs CHI) Saturday 4:00pm 3/29/2014
    Game 5: 277k(POR vs SEA) Saturday 3:00pm 4/5/2014
    Game 6: 171k (CHI vs NE) Saturday 4:00pm 4/19/2014
    Average: 214k

ESPN2 (all ratings are for a 2.5 hour window unless specified)

ESPN(all ratings are for 2 hour window unless specified)

Unimas

Univision Deportes

NBC

11. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 6 games on NBCSN, the respective averages are

2014: 214k
    2013: 112k
    2012: 106k

RfrancisR, Revolt and Stupid_American repped this.
  12. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Note that the large gap between the 2014 and 2013 numbers should widen considerably in early May for game 7 on NBCSN.

In game 7 of 2013, NBCSN drew a season low 41k, which lowered their yearly average down to 101k. Assuming the 2014 game 7 does not bomb similarly, we should have >100% growth after 7 games.

13. yo soy otro

yo soy otro Red Card

Jan 25, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Premier League
    0.24 rating NBCSN 7:40 am Saturday Tottenham vs Fulham 234k
    0.32 rating NBCSN 9:55 am Saturday Cardiff vs Stoke 396k
    0.71 rating NBC 12:30 pm Saturday Chelsea vs Sunderland ?
    0.27 rating NBCSN 6:55 am Sunday Norwich vs Liverpool 372k
    0.40 rating NBCSN 9:00 am Sunday Hull vs Arsenal 583k
    0.48 rating NBCSN 11:05 am Sunday Eveton vs Manchester United 715k

MLS
    0.07 rating NBCSN 4:00 pm Saturday Chicago vs New England :cry: 171k :p;)

14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Holy shit ... 171K is the same as the round 2 Sounders-TFC game which was supposed end all be all.

Wow ... what a strong start to the season ... I'm genuinely shocked at these numbers.

15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Seattle Toronto game had neither team's home cities factored into the final numbers. Obviously nothing for Toronto, and in Seattle, the game was on local television. Losing Seattle's home numbers probably lost roughly 20-30kish on the final numbers.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  16. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 171K is good number considering Chicago market had Blackhawks/Blues game. Was also going against GS/LA NBA game. And here in Boston was the first beautiful Saturday on Marathon weekend which is pretty much the biggest weekend in Boston. And a lot of people get out and about in Boston.

17. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    The one thing I know that ESPN/ESPN2 will see a bounce due to the World Cup. This is in the cards. I have been following ratings for a while, and this is pretty much given. WC2014 is going to be huge for ABC/ESPN, and it will create some appetite for MLS (the bounce will be significant with the US Men team performing well).

I think last year was anomaly. I wonder how are the ratings so far this season on UniMas/Univision Deportes. It could give us a good clear indication whether MLS is trending across the board. If 2/3 national platforms are trending, then we know that ESPN/ESPN2 ratings will bounce as well.

ESPN is already dedicating hours towards WC 2014, and this should help MLS across the board. In May, ESPN/ESPN2 will ramp-up their World Cup programming leading to the big dance. I'm also pretty much sure that ESPN might end-up adding some more games to it's platform with great performance by the US National team during the WC (this was part of the original contract allowing MLS carriers to carry extra games).

18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Wow ... color me skeptical ... I guess anything's possible but ESPN has let me down before. NBCSN has been trending up for awhile ... they already had some momentum building late last year while ESPN was trending down.

If they were so serious about using this WC as some massive boost then why are they waiting til the last minute? They could've been pimping Dempsey, Bradley and the rest all this time. Waiting until May 27th doesn't show me much ambition.

As it is I'm sure you're right and there will be some boost. It's clear that they are using the USMNT as a tie in since the first 2 MLS games are doubleheaders. But they'll still treat MLS as an afterthought during the WC and after and whatever boost there will be still won't be as high or sustained as it could be. There have been World Cups before and I've seen this play out before. If this time is different ... great. But with ESPN I generally expect the bare minimum.

19. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrific number.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's early in the season, but going off the small sample size, MLS has started to answer the question of how to increase ratings which has been an issue on the league's back for awhile.

The professionalism and production quality of NBCSN combined with EPL lead-ins appears to be a very successful combination for the league right now. This would make going to Fox even more questionable a decision than it already is given the league just found a combination that appears to be solving an important issue.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  21. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Increasing payrolls and bringing in better players hasn't hurt either.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  22. yo soy otro

yo soy otro Red Card

Jan 25, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    future univision mls

Univision's World Cup plan: US, Mexico equally important
    Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...co-equally-important.html#j11UJUdz66ZcEpjS.99

NEW YORK - Imagine, just for a moment, the notion that you couldn't watch just about any soccer game you could dream of on television or online.

It's not that far-fetched a concept, because our lives were that way not all that long ago. Only over the last 10 years or so has soccer on TV exploded to the degree that it has.

If you're new enough to the sport that you weren't paying attention in the early 2000s, here's a quick history.

(It is admittedly a bit subjective, but DC was a pretty good market to grow up in when it comes to soccer because of its widespread international population.)

If you had the money for a premium cable package, you could have gotten Fox Sports World and its package of English Premier League games. Maybe your regional sports network carried the Premier League review show that Fox produced in conjunction with Trans World International.

Some cities were easier than others to pick up RAI International in, and see Serie A games on the weekends. Or maybe you had another international channel that showed other games from Europe or South America every every now and then. Or if you were lucky, your regional sports network

Otherwise, you were limited to whatever ESPN and the Spanish-language networks had. This wasn't meaningless, but it was limited. ESPN had the World Cup, the UEFA Champions League, and of course MLS the US national teams. Univision had the World Cup and the Mexican league, and the national team and MLS rights went back and forth between them and Telemundo.

If you wanted to watch games from Spain, Germany, France, Brazil, the Netherlands, anywhere in Africa or Asia… good luck.

But there was one place where you could get just a taste of the rest of the world every week: the highlights roundup on Univision's Sunday morning “Republica Deportiva” show.

What little Spanish I have learned over the years came in large part from that show, and from watching soccer games on Univision in the decade-plus since.

Over that time, I have come to appreciate how integral soccer is to Univision's very existence.

Going back to its founding days as the Spanish Information Network, Univision has shown every World Cup since 1970. Whether through its own production or in partnership with Mexican giant Televisa, Brazil will be Univision's 12th consecutive broadcast of the event - and its last for at least eight years.

For as much as you've heard about this being the end of ESPN's long run airing the World Cup, Univision also is losing the FIFA contract after this summer. Telemundo, which is part of the Comcast empire, takes over for the 2015 and 2022 World Cup cycles.

You might think Fox out-bidding ESPN was a big deal. In some soccer circles, Telemundo out-bidding Univision was bigger.

Expect Univision to go out with a bang, just as ESPN will.

As part of the countdown to kickoff in Sao Paulo, I got an invitation recently to interview the president of Univision's sports division about the network's World Cup plans. I didn't hesitate to accept.

Juan Carlos Rodriguez is a Mexico City native who came to Univision from Televisa in 2012. Not surprisingly, soccer has been in his blood for his whole life.

"I wanted to be a stadium when I was a kid," he told me. I couldn't help reacting a bit quizzically to that, but of course it was the setup to a good punchline.

"Everybody wanted to be a fireman or a pilot - I wanted to be a stadium to see all the games," he said. "I wanted to be a professional player, but I got injured. I had the guts but never the skills."

With his playing prospects derailed, Rodriguez started studying to become a civil engineer. But he later turned back to soccer when the 1986 World Cup was moved to Mexico because Colombia was too unsafe. He took a job as lodging coordinator for a local organizing committee, and then took a job with Adidas.

After 11 years with the sporting goods giant, Rodriguez decided to launch his own sports radio and TV network, Grupo Estadio. In 2009, he sold it to Televisa, setting up the path to where he is now.

Think for a moment about how many connections you can build a résumé like that.

"All my bucket lists are related to soccer games," he quipped, and it's a safe bet that he's been able to check off a lot of boxes.

Now Rodriguez gets to check off one what would be an ultimate bucket list for any soccer fan in America: bringing the spectacle of a World Cup in soccer-crazed Brazil to American televisions.

The buildup started when Univision started branching out in to rights fees for leagues outside of North America. Now, in addition to MLS and Liga MX, you can watch games from France's Ligue 1 and the German Cup.

"When you see the World Cup from a very high level, it's a small piece of the full puzzle," Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez has also made some big investments in on-air talent. In recent months, Univision has brought on veteran play-by-play announcer Luis Omar Tapia and color analyst Hristo Stoichkov, a Barcelona legend who played in MLS for Chicago and DC

Additional analysts for the World Cup will include Argentine-Italian Mauro Camoranesi, Mexican legend Ramon Ramirez and former US national team stalwart Marcelo Balboa. It will be a truly global cast for a truly global event.

Univision's push for audience isn't just coming on television. It's also coming online, and to a degree that the network has never done before.

Every game of the World Cup will be streamed online via Univision's website and mobile and tablet apps. With kickoff times stretching from the afternoon to the edge of East Coast prime time, Rodriguez wants to make sure fans have as much access as possible.

"Most of the people who are going to watch us on Thursdays - before they 'get sick' on Fridays during the World Cup - will be on TV on the East Coast, and on the West Coast they're going to be seeing us [online]," he said.

To learn more about Univision's online plans, I turned to Scott Levine, the network's senior vice president for product and interactive media.

I know what some of you are thinking, so let's air it out: yes, that's what you'd call an "Anglo" name. Univision has quite a few of them. And when I mentioned to Levine that I was in town from Philadelphia, he noted that he went to Penn and has relatives in the area. So he was happy to chat about life on the banks of the Schuylkill.

Alas, we both knew that wasn't why I made the trip, and our time was limited.

Levine pointed out that a far greater percentage of Univision's web traffic now comes from its mobile site and apps than its main website.

"We see across the board that Hispanic America jumped right into the mobile universe," he told me. "We see double-digit growth rates [and] installs of apps that are at record paces for us."

Levine had a big role in developing Univision's new apps, and in sealing a deal with NeuLion to provide the network with a robust online video streaming platform. It's the same technology that's used by MLS, the NHL, the NBA and a raft of colleges - including Levine's alma mater.

The apps are completely bilingual. You can get all of the information you want in either English or Spanish.

Why do that for a network that only broadcasts in one language?

"When we say we're in the heartbeat of Hispanic America... everybody asks if that means it's Spanish-speaking," Levine said. "When you talk about soccer, it doesn't mean that anymore."

He added that "it's not 50 percent, but a noticeable percentage of people are signing up in English."

Univision is in the process of signing "TV Anywhere" authenticated streaming deals with various pay TV providers. Rodriguez wouldn't go into specifics, but for now there are six carriers in the app: AT&T U-Verse, Bright House, Cablevision Optimum, Cox, Dish Network and Time Warner.

During the World Cup, though, almost all of the streams won't require authentication. Only the last eight will: the quarterfinals, semifinals, third place game and final. And of those, only four are on weekdays.

Having said that, streaming might not even matter in the way it will with ESPN. Since Univision is an over-the-air network, you don't need a pay-TV subscription to watch it in the first place - just a television with an antenna.

So relax, cord-cutters. The only games you might miss out on are the few games that will be exclusively on UniMás. And even then, many big markets have over-the-air UniMás affiliates too.

Those of you who've watched the last few World Cups know about this dynamic already anyway. If your first priority is to watch a broadcast in English, you go to ESPN; if your first priority is to not have cable, you go to Univision.

It's no slight against either network. But Rodriguez knows that in the last few World Cups, Univision has taken a sliver of audience away from ESPN. That has given the network motivation to keep improving its broadcasts, so that a consumer won't feel like switching channels leads to a sacrifice in quality.

"We're making an incredible amount of investment in the on-air experience," Rodriguez said. "Technology-wise, we are literally going to be looking like an English broadcast."

And the advertising campaign, Rodriguez added, "caters to our regular audiences, but also to all those bilinguals that have not decided whether they want to watch ESPN or us."

He also spoke about the tone of that campaign. Univision's on-air talent is renowned for having fun with their work. It's their nature as much anything, and broadcasters like Fernando Fiore and Pablo Ramirez are celebrated for it.

That's just what Rodriguez wants.

"I think we are way more fun than the American way," he said. "It's about entertainment [and] the news, but it's the tone in which we make it happen."

Univision will supplement its game broadcasts with a lot of shoulder programming on its sports channel, Univision Deportes. It's an asset that the network has never had before in a World Cup.

Levine told me the channel will be streamed 24/7 through the app starting later this year, along with some live game broadcasts on Univision's other networks.

(Don't hold your breath for streams of MLS games, though. There's been a lot of talk behind the scenes of making it happen, but I was told the negotiations have been a bit protracted.)

Historically, Mexican soccer has been Univision's biggest driver of ratings and revenue. It still is, and will continue to be for a long time. But America's Hispanic population is no monoculture, and the World Cup shows that better than anything else. Rodriguez knows his broadcasts have to appeal just as much to fans of Argentina, Colombia, Honduras, Costa Rica and other nations.

"It's very hard to cater to all the niche audiences," Rodriguez said.

At the same time, though, soccer's stars are now recognized everywhere. So a Costa Rica fan will pay attention to Argentina, and a Colombia fan will watch Spain.

"Neymar, Messi, one after the other have become citizens of the world," Rodriguez said. "So we have to treat them as citizens of the world."

Then there is the matter of the nation is the one where Univision is based. When Rodriguez started talking about how the network will cover the United States national team, he said something that I'm almost certain will be the biggest headline you'll take from this story.

"We decided that we want to treat the US national team as we treat Mexico," he said. "So we're 'getting in bed' with the US - we're devoting the same resources to the US as we are to Mexico."

I very rarely cut off interview subjects when they're talking, but I did there.

Go read that quote again.

If you've followed American soccer for many years, read it a few times.

Yes, Rodriguez really said Univision is treating the US and Mexican national teams equally.

I still remember when Univision anchors referred to Americans playing the world's game as "Gringo Soccer" in the 2000s. So does Rodriguez.

"We never cared about it," he acknowledged.

Now, the US national team has transformed into what Univision's top play-by-play voices call "El Equipo de Todos" - literally, the team of everybody.

That is as serious a sign as any of how much the sport and its culture have grown.

Rodriguez spoke at length about what it means to him and to Univision as a whole:

"We live in the States [and] we have to be responsible. It was a learning process for me. When I came in [to Univision], I met Aldo who is from Cuba, Ricardo who is from Argentina. All these guys are my peers. They are second-generation people who cheer for the US This is not Mexican television - we are in the US, and we want to make television for Americans, regardless of [your] origin.

So we came on board and decided that the US national team had to have at least the same amount of resources, and be covered in the same way [as Mexico]. We met with US Soccer, and we came to an agreement that it was going to happen. They opened the doors. They know we are rights-holders for them. They treat us like real partners, and we are going to do a very good job covering them.

It certainly helps that the US national team has an ever-increasing corps of players with Mexican heritage, such as Omar González and Michael Orozco Fiscal. And of course, superstar Landon Donovan has long been fluent in Spanish. So is head coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

"It is now in our DNA, both ways," Rodriguez said. "It's a priority for us."

Major League Soccer is one strand of that DNA. It gives Univision access not just to stars from the US national team, but from Honduras, Costa Rica and many other nations.

"I think MLS is about to explode - it's really about time," Rodriguez said. "The owners are rich and smart, and they are going to devote whatever is necessary to make it explode."

He also added a few words of advice on what could help light the fuse.

"For me, it's about investing money in players," he said. "They have done a very good job of investing in stadiums [and] teams."

Rodriguez added that MLS will get another big boost when the US next hosts a World Cup - and he's certain that will happen.

"It has to," he emphasized.

And he wasn't afraid to make a prediction about this year's World Cup either.

"If they are able to go past the first round, be careful, because they're going to go to the semifinals," he said. If that is the case, it will help explode MLS."

Then came a conclusion that will also make some headlines.

"Our perspective is that we want to be partners with MLS for the future," he said.

Since Univision's current rights deal with MLS
    ends after this season , I asked Rodriguez whether he wants to sign a new agreement.

"With all our hearts - I was going to say with all our wallet, but not quite," he said with a laugh. "We want to nail an agreement with MLS. We believe in MLS, we believe in the property, we believe in the executives, we believe in the owners - it's going to happen."

I raised the point that out that
    more viewers watched last year's MLS Cup final on UniMás than ESPN , and asked Rodriguez whether he thought that was a statement.

"I hope it does," he answered. "We have a statement to make."

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explain the 171 for Chicago - New England then.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is against Big Soccer policy to post full articles.

redinthemorning, revsrock and JasonMa repped this.
  25. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    perception is evolving

tab5g repped this.