MLS 2014 TV Thread (Ratings, contracts etc)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, is anyone else a bit concerned that we still haven't seen a signed TV contract yet?

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I think this is right. Occasionally I check for UEFA CL overflow games and haven't seen any appear on FX. Sometimes they'd get the bigger games, but this season even big matchups have gone to FS2: e.g., Barcelona-Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid-Borussia Dortmund in the semifinals were on FS2. Similar for the FSN affiliates: sometimes they'd carry overflow games. I haven't seen any live there this season, just a few late night replays.

3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

We expected the deal to come this summer originally. What threw everyone off was the extremely early rumor that the deal was almost done this winter. Obviously the leak from that source was wrong, at least on the timeliness.

The only thing concerning is the same item everyone keeps mentioning. How many games will end up on FS2.

4. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    The longer it goes the better imo. If MLS keeps posting good numbers, maybe NBC and MLS decide to keep dancing together for a while longer.

Editor In Chimp and IndyMac repped this.
  5. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also wouldn't hurt to wait until the World Cup, when soccer is everywhere.

tab5g repped this.
  6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Opposite actually. MLS should be weighing all options while monitoring early season success on NBCSN and seeing how that fits into the plans going forward. I think this early season NBCSN was somewhat unexpected by MLS and gives the league some leverage.

Signing a contract prior to considering early season ratings or a possible pre and post WC bump wouldn't be the best route IMO. If you sign a 3yr deal with NBCSN, which is what MLS did, why wouldn't you weigh the 3rd year into future plans, especially when that 3rd yr is a WC year? Isn't this the year with the Olympics this winter and WC this summer that we were most likely to see a ratings bump? I see no reason to sign off on a deal before weighing those factors and Fox showing no improvement lately should also weigh into this.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be shocked if NBC gets back on the bidding.

8. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So I was wrong, the NHL did something this year they haven't done in the past with NHL gamecenter. Broadcast all games even NBCSN exclusive games online during final 2 weeks. So that is why I was mistaken. So forget everything I posted.

Sorry for the mis-information

Allez RSL and mbar repped this.
  9. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

The ratings are not good enough for NBC to suddenly say "wow, we screwed up, we really need you MLS"

MLS can't go back to them and say "well, your low bid sounds good now", because all NBC is going to do is rake them over the coals for an even lower bid.

It would take a miracle for a "good" deal to occur with NBC at this point. But stranger things have happened.

10. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem.

In the end this just means the MLS number was that much more legit when comparing it to the NHL numbers.

11. yo soy otro

yo soy otro Red Card

Jan 25, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Portland vs. Seattle beat 6 of 9 live NHL broadcasts and 2 of 4 live Premier League broadcasts on NBCSN last week.

tab5g and Lancaster FC repped this.
  12. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is good news...

I also think MLS is holding out until they see early numbers for the WC. I have a gut feeling (IMO), that we will see TV ratings higher than people expect. Primarily because it is in Brazil, and because it's a similar time zone. Those of us who watch the sport on a regular basis may not be surprised, but I think it will shock some of the old school people (and annoy many of them) as to how big soccer is really becoming in the USA.

Ps. the tides of this country are turning. (Just this month California became the second state in the USA where Latinos are now a majority).

13. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More local Sounders TV rating info (people seem to enjoy me passing along this information):

Dave Clark ‏@bedirthan 21m
    I learned today that Saturday's #Sounders match had a rating in the upper 2s. Great numbers for a secondary station.

By secondary (for those who may not know), the Sounders contract with the local Fox affiliate divides the games between Fox proper and "Joe TV," which is devoted to syndicated shows, reruns and the like. The Sounders previous contract divided games between NBC and "Kong" (similar to Joe TV). There is next to no original programming on Joe, aside from the local newscast. Actually, scrolling through my programming guide, it looks like Sounders games are the ONLY thing original aside from the news (well, I guess unless you consider "Paternity Court" et al original).

redinthemorning and MLSFan123 repped this.
  14. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would lead to bighockey style message boards melting down like we do for tennis and college basketball

joehooligan0303 repped this.
  15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has there been any rumor as to whether this new tv deal generated a rights fee?

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Majority, or plurality? If it's majority, I'd be very surprised.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lancaster FC repped this.
  18. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never seen any definitive information, but I find it difficult to believe the Sounders aren't getting a fee for their TV deal. If nothing else, they must have gotten a better deal from Fox than they got from NBC.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  21. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox has four places for MLS games, Fox, FS1, FS2, and Fox Soccer Plus. Their other content is Sat heavy and locked in for multiple years.

MLB-Til 2020- Day and night games, some day doubleheaders
    Link
    Link

UFC-Til 2018- Live prelims on PPVs and live Fightnights
    Link-FSN=FS1 and Fuel TV=FS2

NASCAR-Til 2022- Qualifying, practice, and some races
    Link

College football starts in Aug, that will add more live Saturday events to the Fox line-up. We all know with ESPN you get the game and that is ok. But this is starting to look like a lot of games are going to be on FS2. Fox is powerful and FS2 will be carried on more providers in the coming years, I just hope games don't end up on Fox Soccer Plus. ESPN and ESPN2 are already in the same amount of homes, or close to it. A steady home on ESPN2 and FS2 is a lot better than bouncing around. I fear MLS might have trouble holding on to that.

22. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    FS2 seems to be the problem. Plus, the sharing of US Soccer games. The deal is a complicated one, but as I said before, MLS could is waiting to put all the pieces together in terms of footprint. With Atlanta, and Miami joining the league, MLS has more leverage. But, with good ratings from NBCSN, MLS might not be too thrilled with FOX and ESPN package, especially FOX.

Will they wait before WC or after WC? The longer the waiting game, I think it gives MLS more options versus what was reported. FS2 is not a good option- it is like going back to FOX Soccer days. FS1 will be limited with MLS. Fox needs content for FS2, and MLS seems like a good destination. It sounds like that the FOX end of the package is delaying the process.

The English Distribution options:
    Will MLS entertain all 3? NBC, ESPN, and FOX?
    Or just ESPN & FOX?
    Or ESPN & NBC?

I think ESPN is pretty much committed to MLS regardless of what happens with FOX. ESPN will probably commit to 25-30 regular season games, and Playoffs. MLS Cup and MLS All Star game will be rotated more than likely.

23. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in 2007 NBC had the Buffalo/Ottawa game 1 ECF and it went to OT and NBC decided to switch the game over from OTA TV to Versus for OT. So they could carry Preakness pre race stuff. For all the grief ESPN gets on stuff going over and delayed starts. At least ESPN stays with live events till it's finish.

24. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you feel that NBC is back in the picture after publicly removing themselves from negotiations?

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that they are willing to share, since they (NBC) wanted an exclusive deal.