News: MLS 2014 season (non-Revs) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So now, out of:

San Antonio
    Minneapolis
    St Louis
    Detroit
    Sacramento

only one of those cities will get an MLS team, correct?

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the short term at least. However you never know another city could pop up out of nowhere and mix it up a bit. However it seems pretty clear at this point that MLS will eventually expand well beyond 24 teams.

3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Agreed. I think we're looking at a 30 team league eventually.

4. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    ugh

5. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yee-ha!

6. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he deserves to be suspended for the attack, it was basically a deliberate elbow with a ton of force. The interesting thing is that he then makes an "I'm sorry" motion with his hands as if he wasn't trying to knock him down, when if you look at the video, he clearly was. I'm not sure how you can judge the dive though, there was contact, and he embellishes but I'm not sure its a dive.

8. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can judge the dive easily just by the look and how he went down 2 seconds after he was touched. Sorry to me that was clear dive. I have been hit harder in my beer league games and didn't flop down at all.

9. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    that's one of the most obvious dives i've ever seen

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'll 2nd (or 3rd) that. I think he's going to be hearing from the league shortly (or at least I hope so). Pretty weak.

11. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Gonzalez fined for his embellishment on Sunday. A little surprised Clark or Alston didn't see a suspension.

12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Neither Clark's nor Alston's tackle seemed that bad to warrant DC involvement. Clark's tackle was marginal between being red and yellow, it didn't seem to me like an obvious red card. Alston's tackle was nowhere near a red, he tripped/hip checked the guy. But more importantly the ref on the field dealt with both of those incidents, but did not deal with the Gonzalez incident.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to say it's frustrating to see that after all this talk, we're reverting back to playing in big stadiums again? NYCFC to play at Yankee Stadium for at least 3 years. Atlanta will play at their NFL stadium.

14. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. rasoccer

rasoccer Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If the Atlanta stadium had grass, I would love the stadium idea (I still really like it). Seems like a huge waste to have multiple stadiums if you can have one convertible stadium. If the roofing/covering to make the stadium small looks okay and can help hold the sound in then this could be a great venue. I guess we'll see, but it sounds like a huge improvement over Gillette and Vancouver's stadium but not quite as good as a true SSS. It's certainly a lot better than playing in a giant baseball stadium with sod put down over the infield each game (I can't wait for complaints from Yankees about the field being torn up by soccer players).

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't see Atlanta lasting more than 3 seasons. Terrible location for an MLS team.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing Atlanta with the NFL owner genuinely makes me doubt the Krafts will ever pull the trigger on a Revs SSS. They'll switch the conversation to a downtown Olympic stadium pipe dream, but realistically we can just get used to driving out to Gillette for soccer matches the rest of our lives. It's like everything that's old is new again, hello 1996.

18. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Minnesota will be the next team with an NFL owner and stadium?

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the wake of the Atlanta announce, a great article on expansion:
    With Atlanta on board, MLS shows there’s no one-size-fits-all expansion criteria
    By Brian Straus, SI.com
    Apr 16, 2014

He forgot to say "and Bob Kraft is committed to saving on his car insurance by switching to Geico..." :D

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta introduced as MLS' 22nd team
    April 16, 2014
    By Jeff Carlisle
    espnfc.com

It's the little things...

21. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess he plans on his team never making the playoffs...

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL season starts well before the playoffs so this includes pre-season in August plus home games in September and October. So what exactly are you suggesting? That football lines are a prerequisite for making the playoffs? That's a new one, I don't think I've ever heard a KAD suggest that before.

23. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blank's comment on never having an MLS game where NFL lines are shown on the field is a very nice goal. I hope that this comes to pass. However, it does feel like a sort of campaign promise. The sort of thing that you say before you actually have to confront the realities of hosting both an MLS and NFL team in the same stadium when their schedules overlap.

In stadiums where MLS teams share tenancy with NFL teams (or college football teams) how often do football lines appear during MLS games? Which teams do a better job? Which could improve? I hope that Atlanta takes a leadership role in this area and sets a new standard. We will see.

24. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm not saying it's a prerequisite. It's just a joke about how unrealistic it likely is to expect to be able to never have lines. The problem pretty much only occurs around MLS Playoff time when games are scheduled within days, not months ahead of time like the regular season. Seattle had also lines for a playoff game last season. It's just the reality of it.

Like VTSoccerFan said, this reeks of a cute little campaign promise that's easy to make three years out, before any logistics have to be confronted.

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but on the flip side, isn't it refreshing to hear an NFL owner say this about their MLS team? It's positive PR and makes soccer fans (call us purists) who don't want to see NFL lines on the field during a MLS game feel warm and fuzzy.