MLS 2013 TV Ratings

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I just counted twice again and still came up with 38. Here are some other links that confirm the number

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...s-schedule-means-for-you-the-nbcnbcsn-viewer/
    "This season, NBC will have another 41 regular season games (three NBC, 38 NBCSN) brought to you by the same team: Arlo White will be back as the play-by-play man; Kyle Martino will be between the benches; while Ross Thaler will return as your host."

http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmedia/nbc-sports-group-announced-2013-mls-schedule/11568/
    "The NBC Sports Group will televise 41 regular-season Major League Soccer games — three on NBC, 38 on NBC Sports Network — beginning Saturday, March 2:"

http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/hudson-valley-sports-tv/2013/01/10/major-league-soccer-tv-schedules/
    There will be 38 telecasts on NBC Sports Network, three on NBC, 12 on ESPN2, eight on ESPN and 25 on Spanish-language UniMas (the former TeleFutura).

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    There's some MLS-created misinformation (or new information) out there, apparently.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule?m...357dc43eee9f5e71bf3&form_id=mls_schedule_form

That currently looks to list 39 NBCSN regular season MLS games in 2013.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...l-tv-schedule-includes-87-matches-us-networks

That writeup by "MLSsoccer.com Staff" currently has 38 NBCSN regular season MLS games in 2013.
    But that link/writeup doesn't include the RSL/COL match on 3/16/13 among the NBCSN games.

(I think there also is some question around NBC's total coverage of rivalry day. Will it be one NBC broadcast game followed by 3 full match coverages on NBCSN, or only two full matches covered by NBCSN with other "whip-around" the league look-ins and such on NBCSN?)

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was one of two Colorado games that didn't have TV listed with it (either MLS Live or a national network) when the schedule was announced. Maybe they were still working on that game as part of the NBC deal and that's where the confusion came in?

4. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    The MLS All Stars will be on ESPN and Univision...The flagship network for each respective entity.

5. MobileSoccerFan

May 14, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Finally!

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    I just hope I dont get the same issue here in Alaska where advertised games were not shown (mostly seattle sounders games)...

Cant wait for the season to start

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good to know NBC hasnt given up on showing games on their main channel.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Not sure they could "give up" if they wanted to, within the terms of their contract.

More likely than not, a certain number of games in the MLS/SUM contract with NBC/Comcast are required/set to be on OTA each year from 2012-2014. (And for MLS, that appears to be 3 league games per season -- as that was the case for 2012 and looks to be the same for 2013, but who knows what changes might be possible as the season unfolds or within the 2014 schedule.)

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well ABC was supposed to show MLS games when they signed the deal, little by little they stopped, not sure if it was part of the renegotiation or if say a ratings clause in the contract that allowed them to stop if ratings dropped below a level.

But we really do not know, so I expect NBC to show games this year and next year, after than (and the next round of contracts) who knows.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    That's all I was attempting to say.

What happened (a long time ago and initially) with ABC, is likely a somewhat different contractual reality and MLS -- without SUM -- was likely a "weaker" and "less desirable" media partner at the time, relative to the type of contract that MLS/SUM signed with NBC-Comcast to be the "2nd Tier" tv partner for the league just the 2012-2014 period.

12. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No chance they leave Univision/UniMas. Univision is so strong right now that it's essentially network TV and UniMas is #2 among Spanish language broadcasts in the US. Unless they shove the MLS broadcasts into horrible timeslots, the Univision family will keep MLS right for the foreseeable future.

13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, I knew Unimas was big but I did not realize this big. Ignorantly I guess I always assumed Telemundo was #2 behind Univision.

That being said if NBCU came in with an all encompassing deal for the next contract for both English and Spanish rights, would you feel Telemundo would be ok?

14. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course. I think it might hurt ratings, at least at first, but if the money is there and the networks stay behind the product like they are now, then there's no reason not to take that.

MLSFan123 repped this.
  15. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh, and as far as being on UniMas goes, it looks like that channel is being given a sports focus that is heavily football related. According to a few reports, it looks like they're going MLS, Liga MX, Mexico National Team, Gold Cup, Confederations Cup, and World Cup in their coverage.

I did find one LA Times article that says Telemundo still pulls higher ratings than UniMas, but that UniMas is in more households.

16. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're only 33 days away from the first MLS match of the season on NBC Sports Network.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    Not soon enough, suffering without MLS..

18. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    If NBC actually wants to make some scratch off of MLS, it honestly can't hurt to do more cross promotion.

More MLS reps on NBC SNF, Notre Dame Football and USA, Bravo etc.

19. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you see that glorious man united tottenham match? absolutely incredible. nothing I mean NOTHING like a last second goal for a draw. some of the most exciting stuff in that.

MLS will be back soon enough. I hope Galaxy find a way to stay competitive in the concacaf champions league till LD comes back.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the CCL starts up mid February right?

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Back in the 2010-2011 CCL, Columbus did host RSL for a QF on Feb 22, 2011, with the return leg on March 1.

In 2013, The CCL starts back up in the first midweek of March, after First Kick weekend in MLS.

http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/Schedule/0,,12856,00.html

http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule

(CONCACAF begins the knockout stage of their 2012-2013 CL at the QF stage, so there's no rush/need/demand for them to play in Feb -- unlike UEFA which spreads out plays their Round of 16 games from the midweeks of Feb 12 - March 13.)

ceezmad repped this.
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True that, I most of been thinking group part of Libertadores, I believe that starts in 2 or 3 weeks.

Pre-group games of Libertadores actually start today.

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Ah, summer time in the Southern Hemisphere, or near the equator.

24. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I don't expect much to change for MLS on NBC this year until the acquisition of the Premier League.

Hopefully, NBC can get that Catholic 7 basketball package and up it's cache even more.

25. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NHL has exploded out of their lockout with several teams setting new records for local TV ratings and NBC having the most watched regular season broadcast since Gretzky's last game.