MLS 2013: Other teams

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by *rey*, Dec 7, 2012.

1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Wow if true..

this would be good for the image of the league imo, even if it is SKC. You get tired of hearing players say, "Yeah, I want to come to MLS...but only to NY or LA."

This would certainly set a precedent. Also, I just looked on their twitter and can't find that anywhere. It was on their twitter account?

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I saw it from a Brian Straus re-tweet. It's actually from SportingTimes, which is apparently a site about SKC, but not the official twitter feed. My mistake. They do seem to be tweeting snippets from an interview with Heineman.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Here's the full interview. It's a really good interview, a lot of background on the purchase and rebrand of the team and the philosophy within SKC.

anderson and El Naranja repped this.
  4. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Kaka wants to play for SKC". LOL wow where is that stupidest comment thread @ again?
    Hurry someone take this down before other players hear this and start saying "wow if KAKA
    wants to play here maybe we should too!!" - Or wait or was that the plan after all???

5. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking his agent is just trying to drive up the price with saying they might go with SKC.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    That's what I was thinking as well. I wouldn't be surprised if every team in MLS got the same call.

7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Galaxy said that they were going to surprise us with the best DP yet. Who are they talking about?

8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After running a quick search for Kaká in recent articles in Brazil, all I found were some comments a few days ago from his brother, who's on the NYRB roster, about Kaká wanting to come here, and some repetition of reports in Europe about interest from Chelsea and MLS. It's worth noting that Scolari just called him up for Brazil, which would presumably make an MLS move less likely. And then there's the matter of his current contract, but anyway.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope we hear a "Kaka really wants to go to Oklahoma Joe's" line

10. brigante3g

brigante3g Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    KEVIN DAVIES ON VERGE OF TORONTO MOVE?: News breaking this morning from SB Nation has Bolton Wanderers striker Kevin Davies heading to Toronto FC. Davies is out of contract at the end of the season and it is reported that a deal is almost complete to take him to Toronto. A big target forward, with years of EPL experience, providing knockdowns for Robert Earnshaw? Sounds like a match made in heaven. But there was nothing heavenly about yet another late-game capitulation from TFC on Saturday, as 10-man Houston equalized deep in stoppage time to snatch a 1-1 draw. Ex-TFC captain and DP, Torsten Frings, also spoke out about life after TFC.

11. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFC released speedy forward Ashton Bennett . You know how we love Jamaicans...

redinthemorning and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  12. brigante3g

brigante3g Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Chivas USA reinforced its oft-stated desire to think outside of the box by making its second controversial trade in the span of a week.

Philadelphia received the latest allotment of largesse from the Red-and-White when it sent reserve midfielder Gabriel Farfan to southern California on Tuesday. For its modest concession, the Union received the altogether disproportionate reward of Chivas USA's natural first-round draft pick in 2014 and an undisclosed amount of allocation money.

13. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I know for sure we could have traded Soto to them.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We probably could have signed a Mexican player from a local park league and traded him to Chivas for allocation money.

JC507 and Levy2k6 repped this.
  15. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I finally found my big break.

But could I be a Chivas player and a dynamo fan and post on BS at the same time?

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Based on what is going on over there . . sure you could!

17. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Gabriel Farfan is an American from the USA.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a Mexican-American who I believe at one time thought about trying to play for Mexico. The "Mexican" portion of Mexican-American appears to be quite important to Chivas USA in player acquisitions.

19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I thought that he was born in the US and had US citizenship. According to Wikipedia, he was born in the USA and played for the "United States U-17 and played in the 2005 Youth World Cup". He also played for Club America's youth teams for about two years. That's a lot different then finding a Mexican at a park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Farfan

20. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Remember citizenship and national FIFA eligibility are not exactly the same thing. I think he did have the question raised as to which direction he would go as youth caps do not tie you for senior eligibility. Of course, he really isn't good enough to play for either one, so question was never answered. :)

21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm aware of the difference between FIFA and actual nation-states. That point is moot as you pointed out. I think people are making too much of this trade, and Farfan isn't some Mexican in the park.

22. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    You realize it was a joke based on Chivas' public stated goal (at various times in their existence) of creating a team of mexican and mexican americans. Ok, they did say once they wanted all souther cali people too.

JC507 repped this.
  23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's a good point. Chivas may be trying to cater to Mexicans by buying a former US U-17 American player with a Spanish surname.

24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    well hell, nothing else they have done has worked. :)

25. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    CUSA ,and MLS for that matter are trying too hard. It takes years and years to develop a large fan base, usually. Those Mexican teams that everyone is trying to emulate are for the most part old teams.

There may be a formula for success, besides winning, that will attract fans, but only Seattle and Portland have found it. :p