MLS 2005 Best XI (so far)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by TWR, Apr 18, 2005.

1. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    I was wondering who everybody thought would be part of an MLS Best 11 so far this season after the first three weeks. Is Edson Buddle a lock up top? Where does Landon Donovan fit in?

Also, does MLS select a team of the week or just a player of the week?

2. jaradvary

jaradvary New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    below libe slope
    I didn't see any games the first week, so this will cover just the last 2 weeks of play. Also, I didn't see the untelevised games - DC vs Fire, Colorado vs FCD. And there is a bias against Colorado players, who I haven't seen much of. But I think that this team is still fairly representative of the best soccer so far in this MLS season.

In honor of the best team in MLS right now, I think the formation should be a 4-3-3.

GK: Busch
    RB: Albright
    CB: Vanney
    CB: Curtin
    LB: Guerrero (NOT! Burciaga Jr.)
    CM: Dempsey
    CM: El Pando
    CM: Djorkaeff
    LW: O'Brien
    RW: EJ
    FW: Donovan

I admit, I chose Burciaga Jr. based on reputation (nevermind...). I had a hard time choosing a LB (Wade Barrett?), and a second central defender; after Vanney (who I think has been lights out) its tough to choose between Curtin, Conrad, Caballero had a great game on saturday against a good offense, Borchers? etc. Perhaps the midfield lacks some bite, but I think those 3 have been the best midfielders thus far by a fair margin (Judging, admittedly, all 3 on the basis of just one game for each, but form is temporary and class is permanent). Don't laugh about Djorkaeff! – he was outstanding on saturday and the largest reason why the Metros were (and I can't tell you how much this pains me...) exciting to watch. Mulrooney and Klein are just a step below, and then Gomez and O'Rourke. The forwards at least were obvious choices, and I think each of those 3 could make a strong case for, if not MVP, maybe "first draft pick" in some hypothetical Bigsoccer draft. Buddle is a nice striker but hes clearly not at the level of Donovan, GAM, or ROB. Same goes for Ching.

By the way, I think this is a great idea, something this board should do weekly perhaps. Maybe people could put forward nominations and we could pull off something like the outstanding "All-American XI" run by Nutmeg and Chicago 1871 last year.

Edit: Just to be clear, I think the feature this time would be even more interesting if we broadened the scope to include foreign MLSers. This would give us an evaluation tool to see how our future american stars are really stacking up with some of the cream of Concacaf.

Edit again: I'm not sure how I forgot him, but Ivan Guerrero seems like, for me, the class of the league's left backs.

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's in the process of starting up again...it just took us a few weeks to get rolling.

4. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    GKBusch
    LBBurciaga Jr.
    CBCurtin
    RBCaballero
    LM Brad Davis
    CDM Mulrooney
    CAMDempsey
    RMO'Brien
    F Sergio Galvan Rey ;)
    F Eddie Johnson
    F Edson Buddle

Guillermo Ramirez was a close one, as well as Jimmy Conrad. You could argue for Bigsoccer's boy Landon Donovan, but how can you take out Sergio? Just how? Oh, and Ching is close too...

5. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Hm;

GK Busch
    D Caballero
    D Curtin
    D Conrad
    M Davis
    M O'Brien
    M Gomez
    M Dempsey
    F Ching
    F Buddle
    F Donovan

6. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so relieved to hear this - I've been looking for it. Bring it on!!

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer an All-American list - not CONCACAF. We can include Ching even though he's Hawaiian.

Too bad none of us get to see Colorado.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    ----Buddle--------EJ-------
    ----------Donovan----------
    --Guerrero--Dempsey---O'Brien-
    ---------Mastroeni----------
    --Vanney----Pope----Marshall--

9. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    I definately think that you should open up a best XXI to all players, not just Americans. Players are players regardless of their nationality when they step on the pitch. They should be evaluated as such.

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Ching in place of Johnson? Not only to you blead teal, you obviously breath and eat it too.....to the point where your brain no longer functions properly.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK: Busch
    RB: Caballero
    CB: Vanney
    LB: Burciaga
    RW: O'Brien
    CM: O'Rouke
    CM: Donovan
    LW: Davis
    ST: Buddle
    ST: Johnson
    ST: Sergio Glavan Rey

Many players have stepped up and I really believe the first 3 weeks of MLS have been great. I hope it's a sign of more excitement to come. I chose O'Rouke over Mastroeni for the simple fact that we know Mastro's the best, but O'Rouke could use the press.

12. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I don't think one of these should really pop up until like week 10, but for shits and giggles:

GK: Jon Busch, CLB
    D: Chad Marshall, CLB
    D: Ivan Guerrero, CHI
    D: Mike Petke, DC
    D: Greg Vanney, DAL
    M: Shalrie Joseph, NE
    M: Brad Davis, SJ
    M: Pablo mastroeni, COL
    M: Richard Mulrooney, DAL
    F: Edson Buddle, CLB
    F: Landon Donovan, LA

also as a note to those pondering about good left backs, etc. when it comes to the best XI it usually doesn't matter, as long as he plays defense it's normally accebtable, the four defenders on last year's bEST XI were all center backs.

13. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    D: Mike Petke, DC
    D: Greg Vanney, DAL
    M: Clint Dempsey, NE
    M: Danny O'Rourke, SJ
    F: Edson Buddle, CLB
    F: Landon Donovan, LA

(No SGR, one game only.)

So, who's going to start the Worst XI so far? I advance nominate David Stokes, Brad Guzan and Matt Tayor.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be back, we're trying to get organized. Look for it very soon.

15. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Stokes has played pretty well following a horrible start against Harbour View. Bobby Boswell has also done well. In fact the player who has struggled the most in DC's back line has been Petke :eek: and I'm very surprised you listed him in your best XI.

The other interesting but not surprising item is that not one from DCU other than Petke has been selected for Best XI.

Clearly John Busch deserves a nod. Perhaps EJ based on his earlier performance asgainst the Galaxy, but both he and Marshall should not be on the list based on the Columbus performance against DC.

16. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Never mind Harbour View, what about against Pumas? He was clearly several classes below the players he was supposed to be marking. I think he was out of position on three of the 5 goals.

Petke hasn't been great, nor Marshall, but aside from Vanney and Guerrero who has?

I suppose I should drop Marshall and add EJ in a 3-4-1-2 (LD in the hole). Petke could be replaced by Pope, or else I'm open to suggestions.

17. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooops I meant EB not EJ :eek:

18. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ching has scored twice for a not-so-great team and has been a big influence in getting both their points (and almost another in Chicago). Johnson has scored twice for a good team, with no goals in the 0-0 when they needed him, and a goal in stoppage in the last game when it was already over. I think Ching's contribution is more worthy.

But that may just be due to the fact that Eddie Johnson is a F*C*er.

It's real early for this, but I'd go for:
    D: Ezra Hendrickson, Chivas
    D: Bobby Boswell, DC
    M: Chris Klein, JC
    M: Clint Dempsey, NE
    F: Brian Ching, SJ
    F: Thiba, Chivas

Just trying to rock the boat. ;) I haven't really watched enough of certain teams to really be fair...

19. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Man, it was a long offseason. Three weeks in, and you're picking a best XI?