Mizuno Thread [8] - Post all info, pics & questions here!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That's not exactly correct either. Certainly if you were alone and couldn't walk, you would die. But with your family unit to take care of you, you could survive without being able to walk. And living with family was one of the necessities for successful reproduction back then, as women are not exactly able to go around gathering food for themselves and their children during the later stages of pregnancy and immediately after birth. They depended on family members to help them out for a period of time.

2. noob-bob

noob-bob Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Club:
    IF Brommapojkarna
    How far back are you talking?

3. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I was referring to pre-agrarian societies (aka hunter & gatherer). As since the time we switched to agrarian societies, we have pretty much done many things that are against natural selection...

4. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You are mentioning the ligament that plays a role in acquired (developed) flat foot and it's strength is supported by the development of surrounding tissue in relation to the longitudinal arch, not the arch as a whole.

Most people don't have the chronically defective foot they are lead to believe they have and orthotics don't correct anything...they provide a band-aid.

5. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Assuming the person doesn't have a creepy foot fetish.....seriously though, I get how evolution works. My point is that about 75% of the privileged world thinks they have something wrong with themselves and if we were that defective as a species, we wouldn't have evolved to the point of having a message board to discuss our evolution.

6. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That is grasping at straws...survival would only last to the point of acceptance, which wouldn't be long in any situation outside of our current societal constructs.

7. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I did not disagree with the premise of your statement. Just that evolution would weed out these feet that do not impede someone from reproducing.

I was talking about a person who becomes unable to walk, not an infant born without legs or some other blatant deformity like that. Since everyone is born unable to walk, I did not envision that as being the basis of noob-bob's statement. So I was working on the assumption that the person is already a loved and cared for member of the family.

Even in pre-agrarian societies, there are uses for people who are not able to go out and hunt or gather. They can tend the children, make tools, make and repair clothing, etc. These societies would have very little benefit from killing a family member who can still provide something for the family. The only situation I could see them doing so, is if they are in a famine and do not have food enough to go around. But that would be a very extreme case when the entire family is in danger of dying.

(And BTW, yes I do know what I'm talking about, I am an anthropologist)

jayc23 repped this.
  8. Alex57910

Alex57910 Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I think all of the foot postures, unless you are born with it, are developed?? Structural changes throughout birth and in the early stages of life when the ligaments and bones develop, determine that. The ligaments are included in the surrounding tissue of the arch, so of course they play a role in its stability, and you cannot strengthen ligaments. I do not believe that barefoot running will not change the posture of your feet, at least not significantly.

60-80% of the population overpronate with their foot posture, I would say that's a good chunk of "most people." The majority pronate, that's how the body cushions the force from above but the overpronators and the supinators need the support. I agree that sometimes the orthotics are maybe pushed too much and some people may be talked into buying expensive things they may not need. But some people need those orthotics or inner soles to help our feet

9. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'll still argue that the number needing the support is much much smaller than you think. Bad posture/form when walking is very correctable without orthotics, even in fully developed adults. Arch height and strength can also be improved, I know from self experimentation with barefoot training. You might not be able to go from a flat foot to pes cavus, but you can make an improvement. Yes, ligament tensile strength is what it is, but you build the support around it to protect and strengthen the overall construct, just like any part of your body. Think quad/hamstring/hip flexor and abductor support to your ACL's function.

I fully understand where you are coming from, but I think the argument lacks depth beyond surface level quotes on percentages and easily digesting flawed research without being a harsher critic. I don't mean that as a personal attack on you, so please don't take it that way. I will say that stating that 80% of the population (which population are we even talking about?) is physically dysfunctional is patently absurd unless the study was done on a population of grossly dysfunctional people to start. Whoever came up with that figure is either bias or a very poor researcher.

10. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think we've gone a bit off the plot here. The original point is/was if humans were functionally defective on something so critical as walking/running - in the mass number we are lead to believe exist today - we never would have gotten to today, as a species. We didn't evolve to this stage of advancement to suddenly start falling apart in the past 50 years.

Splitting hairs about family constructs and tribal roles isn't the point I was trying to make salient. That is an entirely different conversation. I don't think you are being disingenuous, I think you and I have missed each other's mark.

11. Alex57910

Alex57910 Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I dont think the number needing support is less, I think the number of people aware of it are less. I don't think that foot posture is "very correctable" without orthotics, at all, and I don't believe that arch height and strength can be improved with barefoot training at all, otherwise why aren't all our shoes based with barefoot soles? The structure of the foot is very different to the knee, you can't compare an ACL to the ligaments of the foot. They are not surface level quotes or easily digested and flawed research, I happen to do this sort of thing for a job. And if you need more info on my points or the foot posture stats about the population I'm sure I can point you in the right direction. I stand by what I said, insoles are not counterproductive at all. They have a role and I'm sure there are others like me who wear them and swear by them.

I will just have to agree to disagree with you sir.

12. noob-bob

noob-bob Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Club:
    IF Brommapojkarna
    $$$

kelani9 and Dr. Boots repped this.
  13. pancreas

pancreas Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Has anyone tried the Mizuno Wave Ghost?
    Monitoring a pair in the sg-version

Attached Files:

14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Once again you missed the point.....I wasn't comparing the knee and foot in the way you are portraying it; by making that statement you are either being obtuse on purpose, or you truly don't get it. I was drawing a line to the point that ligaments are supported by surrounding structures and using an easily identifiable ligament as a point of reference.

If you truly believe 80% of the population (I am assuming you mean the planet, not a sample size) are in need of orthotic correction, I have no interest in furthering what has so far been a reasonable conversation with you. Believing that number is irrational and just because a researcher came out with it, doesn't make it so. Correlation does not imply causation.

You also destroy your own argument by admitting foot posture is developed and then turning around and saying it isn't correctable. How exactly is it developed, but also unalterable? If you can develop something that is mostly defined by muscle strength you can develop or change it at any time. Will the results be as great later in life vs. early development? Possibly not, due to a host of biologic factors, but you can still see results.

It is basic use it or lose it. To develop a strong and flexible foot (flat or arched) you need to train your feet to function properly, which is best done in the natural state of the foot (barefoot). Will some arches be higher and stronger than others? Of course...just like some arms are stronger than others no matter how much work you do on them. Evolution created our feet and got us this far.....we created shoes and insoles, not the other way around.

15. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For once, I agree with bob.

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think that may be... I wasn't arguing against anything you were saying about the foot; you don't need to defend your statement against what I was saying. I was just trying to inform you why an undesirable trait, such as poor arches, would not necessarily get eliminated through natural selection (similar to something like male pattern baldness, not every male has it, but enough have it who are able to reproduce that it continues to exists).

17. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, I get what you were saying as I stated in our PM. I think were we got crossed was viewing something as undesirable vs. Darwinesque. What I was getting at was if our feet were so flawed - functionally - without man made foot support (as another poster is arguing) we would have died off as a species in the Palaeolithic era when we were not at the top of the food chain. That might be a slightly over the top statement, but I think you get my point. There is no way we evolved to this level of function while not wearing shoes and missing a plastic arch insert if we really needed it on the mass scale that is being mentioned. I also refuse to believe that in the past 50 years we have suddenly started to devolve and our feet are now these weak, non functional appendages. It is nonsense.

18. Alex57910

Alex57910 Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I know exactly what you were trying to say with the knee and the foot, but you cant compare apples and oranges; they are so vastly different. It's easy to stand there and criticise statistics, but I have my sources and they happen to be credible. You either pronate or supinate right? The natural way of cushioning load is to pronate the foot, so how is it that unbelievable? I'm not saying that all these people need orthotic correction, obviously everyone won't show symptoms that need to be addressed. And how is that destroying my argument? I said that foot posture is developed if not congenital, and that once the ligaments lose their structure you can't strengthen them, and I don't believe it is mostly defined by muscle strength at all. I see what your saying, but again in my opinion orthotics can be quite an effective way to temporarily support the foot when you need it. The body is not as well designed as you think

19. Alex57910

Alex57910 Member

Oct 28, 2013
    It's more expensive to create a minimalist shoe then to create one with a thick outsole, comfortable midsole with support and a heel counter? :/

20. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We're going in circles now and it's really not worth the time investment on my end. Believe whatever you wish to be true.

21. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1196 Dr. Boots, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    It's not from a material standpoint.....what he was saying is you make more money selling people a solution (that constantly updates) to a perceived problem than you do selling something that doesn't "fix" a problem.

temesgen, noob-bob and kelani9 repped this.
  22. Alex57910

Alex57910 Member

Oct 28, 2013
    #1197 Alex57910, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    interesting use of the word perceived, but it will be interesting to see what the market is like in 10 years time

23. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    This conversation has been pretty eye-opening. Thanks for all the great input. As someone with severe flatfeet and a heel striker which led to some custom-made orthortics, I can see where both sides are coming from. I was 19 when I got the orthortics and was constantly heavily padded Asics running shoes (which are comfortable as hell). I weaned off it orthortics abit simply because it didn't fit my other shoes as well, so I attempted to use more of a fore/mid foot striking technique which has helped with my feet/knee pains. That's on a personal note, although I would think people in a more sedentary lifestyle would be better off with insoles to support their feet as they simply wouldnt have the time to train up the muscles.

more marketing required I guess to change the problem. Most people still equate cushioning to great running shoes!

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I have learned A LOT so far.....

With that said--anyone if Rakuten will be having one of those free international shipping deals any time soon?

25. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    from experience over the past few years there's usually one around June/July? last year's was August IIRC

Bolivianfuego repped this.