Mizuki Hamada in Japan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    Our own u23s could use a CB right about now... :(

3. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Testudo and HopperKowalski repped this.
  5. HopperKowalski

Aug 16, 2012
    I wonder what his background is? Kind of mysterious.

I'm sure people will come in here barking about "MLS PLAYERS DESERVE A LOOK", "THIS IS RIDICULOUS", "HE HASN'T EVEN DONE ANYTHING" etc. but if Hamada eventually starts getting a good run of starts in the J-League I'd like to see him get at least some attention. The J-League is a pretty cool but obscure league and I feel like even if he excels there, he's likely to get overlooked.

6. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall from the discussion around Gotoku Sakai, potentially US-eligible Japanese nationals are extremely hard to pry away if they're located in Japan because Japan doesn't recognize dual citizenship. So Hamada would have to renounce the citizenship of the country he calls home in order to play for the US.

That said, the J league is a good league, likely a higher level than MLS (where Besler, Gonzalez, & Goodson play), and if he begins to start regularly and play well, it couldn't hurt to invite him to a camp. But there's a lot of ifs in there & I don't expect him to ever play for us.

7. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 naopon, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Hamada is set to return to Urawa Reds after a season-long loan at Albirex Niigata. He had a tough season, making only 6 league appearances for 330 minutes total.
    http://www.albirex.co.jp/news/top_team/40777

To answer an earlier point about his NT eligibility (which is currently a moot point, obviously), he'd need a one-time switch to play for the US. He played in 2012 Olympic qualifiers for Japan.

8. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamada scored the winning goal in the Reds' 4-3 win over Tokushima Vortis in a J.League Cup group stage match.
    Goal @ ~2:10

Testudo repped this.
  9. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey another Japanese-American. The biggest problem is they're not going to renounce their Japanese citizenship. J-League is cool though, except for the goalkeeping.

10. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamada came on for an injured teammate at half-time, helping the Reds win 1-0. They shut out one of the most formidable offenses in the J-League.

Testudo repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Testudo repped this.