Mix coming to MLS?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisZ, Dec 13, 2012.

1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt that it was by Porter's orders.

2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Didn't say they can't. Said it's not likely. I said, due to the flexibility of many of our midfielders, imo, it doesn't boil down to we need someone to do "x" for those guys. But, hey I could be wrong. Alert me when Mix & Zus make the same roster. I'll be happy. Like 'em both. Like Sacha too. For the 1st time ever, I like more middies than we have spots for.

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Well, that's what counts.

4. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The decision was made before Porter was hired.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well a bigger field will be more conducive to Porter's style, I think.

6. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I agree that the field probably wasn't widened at Porter's orders, they were no doubt related. Portland's management pursued Porter because they want to play possession based soccer. And if they want to do that, then they need a wider field.

7. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smaller field = faster, more direct game = more end to end action = more exciting = loads of in the box action = crowd screaming and yelling more

Bigger field = slower, more possession-based game = "less exciting" = crowd required to appreciate the complexity and games within the game = less screaming and yelling

9. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decision was made before Spencer was fired. How about that?

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't necessarily agree, but get the concept and a really good explanation.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really??? You wondered that????? OK, allow me to answer.

Because 1. it distorts the season and 2. what goes up must come down...if Seattle and Portland start the season with 8 or 10 road games, that means they'll constantly be at home after that, which will decrease interest in attending.

12. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ok, that one was too easy. How about eventually we have a northern and southern league, with the north taking off coldest winter months and the southern league taking off the hottest summer months. During the summer the northern league teams would play each other and during the winter months the southern league teams would play each other and at other times south would play at north and vice versa?

14. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    And if only we had a proper Jumbotron to tell us what to appreciate and when to show our appreciation.;)

Apart from possibly making a possession game easier to implement, a wider field will of course pose challenges to an already significantly challenged defense. It may be another bad season, but it could be fun!

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I pray you never coached. Narrower field means more 50/50 balls, more physical battles.

16. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you want to play the same way we played at Antigua?

17. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey kids - here's a great idea. When trying to make clever banter it would serve you well to read the actual thread context.

Context: : the parts of a discourse that surround a word or passage and can throw light on its meaning

My explanation was a direct response to @SUDano's post saying he didn't understand how a smaller field related to "feeding off emotion". No where did I say, nor did I believe, a narrower field was somehow better.

Bruce S - "Narrower field means more 50/50 balls, more physical battles." translates to more yelling and screaming and fan involvement for the uneducated. That could be translated as playing off "fan emotion". Thank you for making my point. Apparently your prayers are as effective as your reading skills since I am in my 16 year of coaching. But that's a conversation for another thread.

@AutoPenati - Yes, that's exactly what I was saying....not at all. You do get points for busting out the Antigua reference, although it doesn't fit in any form, even if I was making the argument. Again, please read for context instead of jumping into the circle jerk all pants down and eyes shut.

Apologies to anyone my post may offend. I'm a pretty laid back guy and cut people slack, but 3 attempts at snarky, clever comments all ignoring context. Felt I had to make a point.

18. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    For what it's worth, Merritt Paulson tweeted this morning about a deal falling through. As he's publicly stated that the team wants to bring in both a right back and and a creative midfielder, it's perhaps logical to assume his tweet referred to somone who might fill one of those positions. Whether that someone is a certain frequenter of another BigSoccer thread remains to be seen.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we believe Mr. Diskerud, and since he is crazy, I think we should, the Timbers have already contacted him and offered him a spot. It's just whether Monsieur Mix wants to go or not.

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Salary is probably a sticking point. Judging by the other reported interest, Diskerud can probably command half a million at a minimum. Comparing that to the salaries offered to other Americans transferring from abroad to MLS, I bet Portland is hesitant to offer that type of number.

Generally, this is my sticking point on whether I like a Diskerud move to MLS. If Portland pays the premium that should be paid for a talent like Diskerud, then I'm fine with him being in MLS.

21. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    If MP's tweet was about Mix, Mix's answer (politely said, I'm sure) was "No."

Off topic: What's your connection to CAR? I ask because I was a PCV there from 89-91.

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For sure he'd take a pay cut coming to MLS... but if you follow his other thread, money isn't THAT big of a deal for him. It's more about opportunity.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have to forgive me as I misread your post and now just look stupid.

OT: No real connection. I did some research for a group doing work on the region. Change my location one day out of boredom mostly. Sorry to have sparked your curiosity for no reason. I'd be curious to hear about your experiences if you're interested in sharing via PM.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  24. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Anthony Ampaipitakwong require Portland moving up in the allocation order?

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Why Portland? I am sure some of the better clubs in the MLS would love to have the Mixxer