Mix coming to MLS?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LouisZ, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    All he's proven so far is that he wasn't ready for the U23 gig.

He was a fantastic NCAA coach.

An MLS gig was eventually going to come again. After all, he'd already been offered the DCU job.

A great number of MLS Cups have been coached by guys who'd plied their trade in the NCAAs, before coming to MLS. (Bruce Arena, Sigi Schmid, Bob Bradley, etc.)

For all we know Mix really enjoyed working with Porter with the U23's.

Marko72 repped this.
  2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is I don't want him near the US national team. Not the main point I know. I have many doubts his style will work in MLS, and on turf.

3. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though he blew it as the olympic coach, i still love his philosophies when it came to style of play. He however, did not do a good job in the player management/scouting/in-game adjustments part.

I will say he is a young coach, and i think a chance to be a very good one in the higher leagues. Hopefully he finds success in portland and gets back into US soccer fans good graces (and if he gets another shot as a coach at any capacity, he doesn't blow it this time).

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty far leap to say he's proven he's a disaster of a coach. He may not be Jose Mourinho, but you can all call him a proven disaster is beyond me.

5. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter may or may not become a quality MLS coach, but there simply isn't enough evidence from the short, failed U23 Olympic qualifiers to make a case one way or the other. Two rough games with a team that had serious flaws in the defensive talent pool (especially at CB), and missing key talent in midfield and up top like Morales and Altidore, isn't the best way to make firm statements about a guy's career. Yeah, Porter made some errors with that team, but that team had serious problems from the get go, bigger than any problems Porter created. Heck, we had long threads on BS discussing why the Olympic team probably would need 2 or even 3 overage defenders to fix the holes.

Kejsare, Konut and Real Corona repped this.
  6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Oh, I'd say that I don't want him anywhere near the national team right now. Let Porter have the chance to coach professionals for a while and in 5-10 years, who knows?

GRUNT repped this.
  7. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I agree, he has loads of potential,but he needs to prove it at the professional level first. There are many other guys ahead of him that have paid their dues that have repeatedly proven themselves as effective coaches in the MLS. Kinnear, Yallop, for starters.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, and Sigi. And though I think a few more years will be needed to bear them out, there's Kreis and possibly Olsen.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's kind of how I've been seeing it. It's sort of Mix vs. Zusi (like how I use two qualifiers? :). Can't at this point see both of the guys making a roster where it counts, though I really like both guys.

10. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one time he put Vaseline on Sean Johnson's gloves.

morange92, Harper916 and Real Corona repped this.
  11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know some people went too far and actually called for Porter to be hired as USMNT coach after the Mexico game, but nobody in their right mind right now is calling for that. Right now he's a first year MLS coach, and he has an excellent track record to qualify for that position. Any claims that he is a disaster of a coach relating to his fitness for taking over a position he isn't in contention for and isn't open seem, well, odd.

GRUNT repped this.
  12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know some people went too far and actually called for Porter to be hired as USMNT coach after the Mexico game, but nobody in their right mind right now is calling for that. Right now he's a first year MLS coach, and he has an excellent track record to qualify for that position. Any claims that he is a disaster of a coach relating to his fitness for taking over a position he isn't in contention for and isn't open seem, well, odd.

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so it will be a wider field next year?

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably tici-taca game plan.

15. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  16. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Zusi has been playing out wide, Mix plays in the middle, hes more competing with Kljestan and Corona

17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  18. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Fans closer to the field usually means louder crowd noise I imagine.

19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    A smaller field doesn't put the fans closer to the field. A small field in fact moves the field dimensions a few yards away further from the fans. Does a field line a few yards different really make the crowd louder? Still confused.

20. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Perception is reality sometimes.

soccersubjectively and SUDano repped this.
  21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Funny how we take what's said sometimes like it makes sense, without really thinking about it. Smaller field to feed off the emotion. Huh?

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, they've been used differently, but imo Zusi ultimately will be moved inside. And, I'm talking about available roster spots. Even if they're used differently, the other players on the roster are flexible enough, and there are enough choices, that imo Zusi & have been competing for the same spot. Let me know when they're on the same game day roster.

But, good point, Sacha is probably in that Mix, too. Add Donovan & Demps to the roster and Sacha, Zusi, Mix, & maybe Gatt are all prolly battling for the same spot. Corona, imo, is currently on the outside looking in.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann doesn't seem to think Corona is on the outside.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Kljestan is our most similar regular/fringe player to Mix, he and Zusi have been on the same roster before, no offense but saying Zusi and Mix cant be on a team together doesn't make sense

25. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    Always a mistake to assume Wilkinson knows what he's talking about (although I give him good marks so far in this off season). Anyway, the field has already been widened (it was in advance of the recent US women's game).

sXeWesley repped this.