Mitt Romney for President--Part something

Discussion in 'Elections' started by bigredfutbol, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So people on the right aren't the only ones spouting talking points...

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is all investigative journalism that you disagree with "talking points" now?

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is the journalist investigation into Herman Cain sexual harassment going?

I have not seen much coverage about this story from MSNBC and CNN recently.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Gee, I wonder why that might be.

uclacarlos repped this.
  5. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So now journalists must continue to investigate stories after enough information has come to light to render further investigation moot, because the target of the investigation crawled back under the opulent, Koch-supplied rock from which he came?

Which story? Cain or the Vanity Fair one? Isn't that the point of investigative journalism? To bring to light information about important people and events that no one else has discovered yet?

What are you arguing exactly, ceezmad?

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Venn Diagram?

7. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, mostly just the ones you agree with.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the investigative journalists are usually interested on investigating who ever are popular right now. Now that makes perfect sense since that is what sells papers (are they still around?) and gets the network ratings.

Well what happen to the lawsuits in the Cain case, yes he dropped from Presidential contention but that does not mean that the harassment victims are no longer important. I mean they were being bothered left and right by the “journalists” when Cain was high in the pols, but as soon as Cain dropped out they no longer mattered, we all knew this would happen it always does, it is natural I do understand that, it just sucks IMO.

9. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admitting you attack the conclusion rather than the argument is the first step toward getting help for your problem.

10. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it really that ********ing hard to understand why an journalist would investigate a public figure instead of one that's not in the spotlight?

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all $$$$$

It does not mean I have to like it.

12. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the only good journalism is unpaid?

You know we used to have a functional media where people did a good job of being objective and still got paid, right? How'd that get broken again? Hmm...

13. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your "investigative journalist" was presenting facts thought to be derogatory concerning Romney. Don't know how derogatory those facts are, if at all.

Perhaps your "investigative journalist" should look at our sitting president and then report back. He is in the spotlight, right? Maybe he can find some fun stuff we haven't heard before and you can defend him then.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Errr, how did we move from "offshore investment vehicle" to "dirty money"?

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ah you got to love the "liberul media".... I'm pretty sure Fox has been trying this line of investigative journalism (or whatever they use instead) for the last 4 years.... I think that the juiciest thing they found was Wreverend Wright...

...and fraudster Robert Maxwell...
    ...Eduardo Poma, a member of one of the “14 families” oligarchy that has controlled most of El Salvador’s wealth for decades...
    ....the tax haven of Panama, historically a favored destination for Latin-American dirty money—“one of the filthiest money-laundering sinks in the world,” ....

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Arpaio and Trump found something.. but I really do not think that qualifies as "Investigative Journalism" ....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...io-birther_n_1645806.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes, I saw that, but it's all complete conjecture. There's no proof that Romney had any idea that Maxwell was a "fraudster, there's no proof that Poma's money is "dirty money" and whether Panama is a money-laundering sink or not isn't relevant, only the actual investor is.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sheriff Joe and his Insane KKKlown Posse are at it again? Makes sense since I almost completely forgot about him.

Dapip, re: your sig: biden spoke at the Independence Day festivities at the town my wife and I just moved to. Turns out his childhood home is half a block away. Nice house. I'm sure Mitt has several that are better, though.

19. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You continue to mistake a political argument for a legal one.

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you admit there is no substance to the article, just political conjecture.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that what I said? No.

The political argument, here on BigSoccer, based partly on the article posted, is that Romney's involvement in business ventures that have been associated with money laundering is a political liability. Which it is.

The article is investigative journalism. As in, a journalist presumably did research using public records, interviews, etc. to inform the audience of something that they might want to know. It's not a legal argument. Journalism isn't a legal argument. The author doesn't need to prove their assertion beyond reasonable doubt in order for their piece to be something more than "conjecture".

You ********ing LOVE to tangle arguments up, don't you?

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You continue to mistake allegations for an argument. If you want to argue that the type of vehicles Bain set up shouldn't be allowed, go for it. But there's nothing to indicate that what Bain did was inappropriate, and there isn't actually any proof that Bain laundered money. Like any private equity shop, Bain goes to large investors to get them to invest in its funds. Some of Bain's investors were foreign. One of them was involved in a wholly unrelated fraud. That's all we know.

stanger repped this.
  23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    There's no evidence that Romney's ventures have been associated with money laundering. All the article showed is that one of Romney's investors was from Panama and the claim (which I'd mostly agree with) that there's a lot of money laundering in Panama. However, there are undoubtedly plenty of perfectly legitimate businesses in Panama, so you're drawing a conclusion that's not supported by any facts.

stanger repped this.
  24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    There's plenty of substance...

Mittens' job experience can be describbed as "Obtain shaddy investor's money for savaging American companies, offshoring American jobs and hidding the profits in shaddy fiscal paradises."

Not illegal but not exactly the stuff presidents are made off.

100% valid argument in today's politics.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    An argument's validity is a function of its context?

How about "100% common argument form in today's politics?"