Mitt Romney for President--Part something

Discussion in 'Elections' started by bigredfutbol, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    You ignored Gringo's point and redefined "Bush Loyalist" to mean Joe Normal.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me for not understanding. So you can't be a Bush loyalist unless you have a certain degree of power is what you are saying?

And if that is the case what does that have to do with me having a rough choice between Romney and Obama?

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Most of the time the shoe really fits.

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    No it doesnt. Its a weak cliche.

For most, wanting a broken system to be addressed and fixed is totally unrelated to race.

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut up racist

6. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been very interesting reading the right-wing bloggers over at NRO's The Corner over the past couple of months and watching them warm up to Romney as Fred never caught fire and McCain has surged. The Republican establishment has taken to Mitt in the same way that the Democratic establishment took to Kerry in '04: don't love him, not even sure they'll like him, but given the other options he'll do for now.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Because Romney is trying to appeal to the same base that got president Bush elected. That is part of his strategy and it's working.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    And I certainly remember being lectured here in '04 by more than a few GOPers how the GOP would only ever nominate a candidate who checked ALL the boxes. Unlike the Democrats who would take the least worst candidate.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What boxes?

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well of course. When you're up against it in the way that the GOP is this cycle, you become amazingly malleable and pragmatic.

Romney's not inherently evil like Rudy, and he is my second-favorite GOP candidate behind McCain (who's got issues but would do by far the least damage to US foreign policy among the Republicans). A Romney Presidency would be focused on very small goals and not change much. That's why the GOP establishment have decided they now like him -- current state treats them pretty well, so why risk change?

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

These.

It was a GOP security thing back then.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm sure every Republican candidate has checked them already. They're empty.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm curious why you think this. I'm afraid McCain would bet the farm on Iraq and it would be terribly hard to challenge him politically. Romney would be inclined to do what's convenient, which very possibly would mean ending the war (more or less) by the end of his first term.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then we get to go back in another 10 years.Yippee!!

15. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh it's alright, I'm sure we will be greeted as liberators.

16. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of the GOP candidates would pull all troops out of Iraq because permanent bases in Iraq was one of the original invasion's tacit goals, especially since the Saudi bases are in jeopardy if the House of Saud falls. McCain is at least willing to admit that. And if our presence means we have Korea-type bases where there's an uneasy truce, and not all-out civil war, maybe that's not the worst thing in the world. I was against the war at the start and still think it was a terrible idea and execution, but we're there now and we have to deal with the reality we created.

Also, I think what's been lost the most in the current state of the Iraq war is the cost which is being borne by a very select group of families who have loved ones who volunteered to serve, and whose commitment was renegotiated mid-stream by the Administration. (Yes all of the mandatory call-backs are technically in the military contracts they signed, but mandatory multiple tours of duty for most of these people is still unprecedented and it still sucks.) My best guess is that McCain would be at the Dems' level when it comes to future long-term commitments of those troops, meaning he'll do whatever it takes to minimize that burden.

All of the others often seem positively gleeful when they talk about expanding war opportunities. Which kinda figures, since none of them actually served in the military.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We may or may not agree with his position, but I believe that McCain will do what he deems to be best for America and for Iraq, not for Halliburton and the oil companies.

I also think he is the most likely candidate to heed the advice of the captains on the field, rather than succumb to polls, lobbies and political pressure to either end the effort prematurely or keep fighting longer than we should.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, some people like scrapple and don't mind who's making the scrapple as long as it's got that scrapply goodness.

19. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Homer Simpson]Mmmm, scrapply goodness[/Homer Simpson]...

[​IMG]

20. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    4% in Romney barely ahead. McCain was ahead earlier.

I think this is a big deal. Winner takes all.

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Florida results being posted by Shep at Fox News... just initial results...
    Show Romney ahead, followed by McCain and Giuliani... (4% in)

Romney: 33%
    McCain: 31%
    Giuliani: 17%

CLOSE RACE~

22. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    McPlain's up now.

23. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12% in

McCain - 34% - 142k
    Mitty - 31 - 129k
    9/11 - 18 - 74K

24. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Looks like McCain's going to win.

25. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's early, and close, but I think McCain will be stronger in the panhandle so I think he will win.