Mitt Romney for President--Part something

Discussion in 'Elections' started by bigredfutbol, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignoring that fact that most illegals already here aren't from Mexico--how in hell would Mexico provide an "additional" 50 million? Out of a total population of slightly over 100 million?

One thing all immigrant--legal and illegal--from all over the world* share: They are a small minority. Most people EVERYWHERE stay home.

*Keep in mind that the immigration issue is a global one; the USA isn't unique. All over the planet, people are coming from the third-world to the first.

So the rights of the unborn are right up there with the right to light up in public? Man, your pro-life credentials are IMPECCABLE!

2. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I know immigration is a big issue, but it seriously would be much less of an issue if we got rid of agricultural and corporate subsidies. All they do is enable certain industries to be more competitive than what is natural, and considering that illegals tend to flock to those types of businesses, I think the solution is simple.

3. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    [​IMG]

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the solution to the alleged "problem" of illegal immigrants supplying cheap labor to certain sectors of the economy is to reduce the size of those sectors? :confused:

5. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    You got the idea, but in different words. There is no reason for our agriculture to be that much superior to Mexico's. If we stopped propping up our agriculture through subsidy, Mexican agriculture would be more competitive. And seasonal agricultural jobs wouldn't take kids away from their schools and their native languages and their families.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unemployment rate in some areas of Mexico is 75%; the word is passed fairly quickly through the nation that sneaking across the border north and working for a few months can put tequila and chili on the dinner table for a long time... So with a population of 108,700,891 (July 2007 est.) and their comparatively high birthrate: 20.36 births/1,000 population (2007 est.) combined with an overall nation underemployment of 25% (2007 est.) (as I said some regions of nation up to 75%), I have no doubt we could host (or are hosting) half their population. Want to know how to verify this? Check out how much US funds are being wire transferred to Mexicali Banks; a simple exercise. These are finances permanently lost to this nation through illegal immigration...

They are both IMPORTANT rights. Since the Democrat Party is against both, any Republican candidate that strongly supports both gets my vote... Mitt Romney

7. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you'd prefer to tear down our agricultural system so that it is on par with Mexico's rather than help Mexico build their system up so it's on par with ours?

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Amazing! When a Republican changes his mind, he's principled, flexible and learning from experience, yadda, yadda, yadda.

When a Democrat does it, he's a flip-flopper, no principles, will say anything to get elected, inconsistent and so on.

Amazing......

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is NOT him changing his mind on technocratic issues like tax rates or education policy. He's changed lots of core values. That's been real...conVEEENient.

[​IMG]

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's like an auction for bigots.

11. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    He ran virtually unopposed in the GOP primary for governor. He didn't have a credible opponent.

You really think that in 1994 and 2002, when he ran for Senate and Governor in Massachusetts, he was pro-choice, and now in the GOP primary for President, he happens to have become pro-life?

Again, I don't think he changed his mind. That would suggest that he had an actual opinion to begin with. He changed what he said about abortion because he wants to get nominated.

12. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    I also find it interesting that some folks are touting Romney's business record, which consisted largely of laying off workers and outsourcing workers.

13. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Mexico's agriculture already IS on par with ours, at least in terms of quality and efficiency. Where they are not is the fact that they don't subsidize their agriculture like we do. We are anti-competitive, and it is destroying them.

14. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Find me a post where I called a democrat a flip flopper. You really have never grown up, have you?

15. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    And if you read his reasons, it seems like he has some valid reasons why. He has never been pro abortion, but he didn't want to make it illegal because he personally knew a family who lost their daughter because she had an unsafe and illegal abortion. His feelings about life commencement have changed since then, to the point where it no longer matters what is safe or not...that it is an immoral practice and shouldn't be tolerated.

16. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Naaa, it's more like a place for PC jerks like you to get off on other people by calling them names.

You know, and I know, you'd never say that to my face.

Which is why, you're a coward. And....you know it. Would I ever LOVE it if you called me a bigot to my face. But...you have the comfort of the keyboard and the network, don't you. All the time, you say stuff on here you'd NEVER say to someone's face. Guess that's why you're a "super" Dave.

Or...you're a DC United fan. I live in the area. Want to meet up?

17. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I personally have changed my opinion on abortion due to various arguments. I don't see the problem with him changing his.

18. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

high comedy

19. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Keep laughing. He's a DC United fan. He should come meet me at a game. Or anyone else here that can make it to a game, feel free to meet up.

I don't get off by personally attacking people on here in a way that I know I wouldn't say to their face.

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    We're talking about Mitt Romney, right. Holy smokes, flip-flopper! The man will literally say ANYTHING to get elected. And it seems to work. It's amazing. But not as amazing as conservatives (of the non wide-stance variety) getting such a hardon for him!

21. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I hope you aren't confusing me with a Romney supporter. Never once have I stated any leaning toward him as a preferred candidate. I just don't see much wrong with him changing his opinions on things.

22. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    You really think his about-face just happened to take place when it also was politically convenient? You REALLY believe this?

23. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    His about face happened during his time as governor, not as soon as his campaign started.

It didn't exactly happen at the most politically convenient time, either. In fact, his change in opinion put him into a minority opinion, as opposed to a majority opinion. In fact, if he maintained his stance on abortion, he would be in better condition than he is now.

Romney was elected in Massachusetts because of his appeal to swing voters. If anything, his change in stance on abortion has hurt his chances of election because he doesn't appeal to the swing voters as well, and I think he knows that.

Romney is not the person I would like in office, but it is hardly because of his shifts in opinion.

24. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Exactly. That's because his presidential campaign began the day after he was elected governor of Massachusetts.

Really? He'd have a chance at the GOP nomination if he were pro-choice?
    Again, you're correct. And he knew that in order to win over moderates in Massachusetts he had to be pro-choice.
    Don't worry, if he wins the nomination, he'll soften his stance on abortion. I can guarantee you that.
    Again, that's fine, because he only has positions, not opinions. An opinion is something you have inside. He doesn't have opinions, other than he thinks he should be President.

25. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005